+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Okay, they did a close up of the graffiti on that brick wall "Gypsie Scum". My first thought was that you should probably learn to spell the words before you spray them in public ...

That man who left his wife behind to go to the Appleby Horse Fair, then decided to call her and have her bring he and the son food ... I was hoping she wouldn't answer the phone. If I had been left behind, no way would I then meet them on the road and SERVE them. I know, it's a cultural thing but my limit would have been reached when he told me I was not to be seen in public. Starve, then.

I also found it funny that they said there were 100 arrests last year at that fair because of counterfeiting, then were astounded that the police were cracking down.

I did not like that they were taking away places for the horses to rest ... the animals should be taken care of.

Wonder what happened with the bride that kept lying to the dressmaker. I don't blame her for being livid that she was out the money for the tickets and hotel room. (My girls found it a little funny when they said they lost over 1000 dollars instead of 1000 pounds)
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

First week without a new episode and I'm missing it already.

Did they do any more series about Travelers in the UK? or anywhere else?
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I know they're casting for an American version, but unfortunately what we saw this past few weeks is all there is. There's a new special coming out of Britian in time for Christmas.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    I know they're casting for an American version, but unfortunately what we saw this past few weeks is all there is. There's a new special coming out of Britian in time for Christmas.

Is it supposed to be yuletide-themed? I had this sudden vision of a MBFGW Christmas pageant with all the angels in huge white dresses and the Virgin Mary in a tube top and very short skirt....
    libgirl2 and nanarama like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Is it supposed to be yuletide-themed? I had this sudden vision of a MBFGW Christmas pageant with all the angels in huge white dresses and the Virgin Mary in a tube top and very short skirt....
    with bleached blonde hair and plenty of make up!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I don't know, but that would be quite the show.

FORT Fogey

Seriously, it might be interesting to know how Irish Travelers/Romana Gypsies celebrate Christmas. If they're devout Catholics, certainly they must celebrate it. They also clearly enjoy anything that's an excuse to decorate lavishly and throw a huge party, but at the same time, those who live in trailers wouldn't really have the space for a big tree etc. So do you suppose they decorate the outside of the trailers instead, the way people put up Christmas lights outside their houses? Or is it just Americans who do the big outdoor lawn displays?

FORT Fogey

According to this article, Thelma the dressmaker says the Christmas edition of MBFGW will be "more shocking than any of the others."

Speaking to the website, she said: ”The one at Christmas is just on another scale. It’s unbelievable. It’s some travellers in a little village that I didn’t know anything about and it’s a whole new side to things. This little village in Ireland is completely owned by travellers, the whole village, and there will be 13 weddings in a Christmas week.”

”They are not there all year, they just come home for six weeks of the year to have their celebrations, weddings, christenings and things like that. It’s just unbelievable. It’s totally gobsmacking. It will be good viewing.”
    ”Big Fat Gypsy Weddings Christmas special is gobsmacking” promises Thelma Madine | TellyMx - Television news, reality TV and more

Thelma also had this to say about the difficulties filming MBFGW:

”They’d do a whole two months of filming with someone and they’d then pull out at the last minute. It was so difficult….It was so hard and I think for these other shows, they just act, don’t they. This was really, really hard. There were tears and directors crying.

FORT Fogey

Thirteen weddings in one week, plus christenings, confirmations, and Christmas itself? Good heavens. When do they sleep? When does that poor dressmaker sleep?

Speaking of Thelma, the fact that she's a central voice in the series makes even more sense. Not only does she function as a sort of link between the vast majority of the audience (which I assume is made up of people who aren't travelers or gypsies) and these cultures, but she's not someone who's going to walk away after two months of taping either. At least they can fill in with her and activity at her shop if someone backs out.

Don't they have people sign contracts when they agree to be on the show? Or is it just too much trouble to sue those who back out for breach of contract? Or are they afraid if they do that no traveler or gypsy will have anything to do with the show again?

FORT Fogey

I think the fact that Thelma will have her own reality show has as much to do with the media's interest in her observations on the Traveler community as her experience with them.
    She is shown on the red carpet in a photo with Paddy Doherty in this article, so it appears that the two of them have become reality "stahs" at least in the UK.

Thelma has signed a deal with Channel 4, which screened the phenomenally successful series, for an Apprentice-style show, which will see her train gypsy girls in dressmaking.

The 15 contestants will be put through their paces in the factory, as they are taught how to sew the flamboyant frocks and the skills needed to go into business, The Mirror reported.

'Gypsy girls don't normally have jobs but with me they have a chance to see how their dresses were made,' Thelma told the news provider.

'We will have a little factory and I will train the girls up,' she added.
    http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/864224-big...#ixzz1Rouohed0

Don't they have people sign contracts when they agree to be on the show? Or is it just too much trouble to sue those who back out for breach of contract? Or are they afraid if they do that no traveler or gypsy will have anything to do with the show again?
    This is a community that values their independence, the ability to come and go as they please, without obligations. Most of them would probably be extremely wary of commiting to a contract since they tend to be so poorly educated (if at all) and wouldn't understand what they were signing.
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 07-11-2011 at 02:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread