+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

I liked that girl, Noreen, the one that is 16yo and still single. She appears to work with the baker. Noreen says she has no desire to get married yet.

The (first) girl (last night) that got married, I felt badly for her sister who was married earlier than her as she does not seem happy.
    All they appear to do is clean and clean and care for the younger children.

The mom with the arthritis, wow, I felt badly for that family as that oldest daughter seemed to be very loving; she will be so missed by her family.

The narrator is not asking the questions I would be …. where are the parents AND who and how are they paying for these extravagant weddings????

I will tell you I had to put the 'subtitles' on my tv as it was very hard understanding them.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    As for Paddy buying 2 cars a year, I don't believe he does that on whatever he earns managing the trailer park. In the first episode, Paddy says he doesn't allow anyone to bother the occupants of the trailer park, and he deals with the police if they come to the park. Methinks he may be getting more than just rental space fees, he's probably getting paid by his tenants for "protection" as well.

Wow...I didn't think of that....sounds like a strong possibility....good observation!!

I've been watching this show and I'm not sure what to think. The way the young girls dress is very confusing since they value no sex before marriage. The girls dress like hookers, only more flashy. Young girls dropping out of school to cook, clean and take care of their siblings or husbands is just wrong. Women don't seem to be valued, men rule..not the kind of life I'd want to live
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" Roger Caras

FORT Fogey

There's an interesting article available on-line from the Guardian, a British newspaper. It appeared after the series aired on Channel 4 there.

According to the article, which cites the one woman basically in charge of trying to advocate for all Traveler/Gypsy women in the U.K., the series concentrated on a very small section of the community, a feeling seconded by Traveler women interviewed for the article.

It is not the norm to have a huge, expensive wedding, simply because most Travelers/Gypsies don't have that kind of money. Women in those communities face far more significant issues than fluffy wedding gowns, among them, poverty, domestic abuse, a shorter life span, and greater chances of miscarriage/still births. According to the article 61% of married English Gypsy women and 81% of married Irish Traveler women face domestic abuse, and the abuse they tolerate tends to be worse and longer lasting than that faced by other abused women in the country. These women have only one ten bed shelter in the entire country--and it's in London--devoted specifically to their needs. They can't call the cops, because if they do, they'll be disowned by the rest of the community. If they divorce, they can't remarry. Their only hope, really, is support from their male relatives, which they may or may not get.

Traveler/Gypsy women are three times more likely to miscarry or have stillborn children, and the average lifespan is only 59 for all Travelers/Gypsies, and women tend to live less long than men.

One of the women in the article did mention that she felt things might be getting better for women within the community in the future, as more women/mothers are arguing against getting married at such a young age and at pulling girls out of school. If she's right, maybe the culture is changing. I did wonder if exposure to school wasn't pushing some young women to consider that marriage and family wasn't their only options. They evidently also watch television, so perhaps they are exposed to ideas beyond those of their own community in that way.

One woman also noted that her kids were being discriminated against more by the other kids in school after the series aired, because the new assumption was that all Gypsies/Travelers were rich and spent fortunes on their weddings, when that isn't true. In fact, the woman in question said her wedding dress wasn't like that at all and wasn't even new--it was secondhand.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Also from guadian.co.uk :

Travellers attack Channel 4 over My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding series | Media | The Guardian

The Irish Traveller Movement in Britain tonight called upon Channel 4 to give Britain's Gypsies and Travellers air time for a right of reply. It described the documentary series as leaving its community "extremely disappointed and angry" over what it said was the narrow portrayal of the Gypsy and Traveller communities.

"We are hearing every day distressing accounts from parents whose children are being bullied and called names. Venue bookings are being cancelled. We are hearing about the deep sense of embarrassment and shame many have been left with by such a narrow, misrepresentative and unjust portrayal of their community and culture," the organisation said.

The Traveller movement said it believed the selective examples used in the series needed to be contextualised and Britain's Gypsy and Traveller communities given the opportunity to describe their diverse cultures and beliefs.

A recent research report commissioned by the movement on economic and social inclusion highlighted the diverse range of work and life experiences and practices within its communities. Such diversity was sadly not captured in My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, the organisation added. The programme has been one of Channel 4's success stories, drawing around 8.7 million viewers.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

The finances of the caravan park managed by Paddy Doherty are under investigation by the local council, which spent £200,000 for a full refurbishment of the park:

Taxpayers pick up £200,000 bill for new facilities at 'Gypsy Weddings' campsite in Salford | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

The investigation centres on how rent collected from the 30 pitches is being spent.

The council, which owns the land, has an agreement with Mr Doherty and the Gypsy Council to run the site.

Under the agreement, which was renewed in 1998, Mr Doherty collects rent from tenants – estimated to total £70,000 a year. The agreement says the rent should then be used to maintain and run the site.
    Probably a bad idea to boast on TV that he bought 2 new cars a year.
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 06-12-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Oops! But like most reality people, he may have been exaggerating when he said he purchases 2 new cars a year ... ?
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

...he may have been exaggerating when he said he purchases 2 new cars a year ... ?
    Maybe. But even if he was only exaggerating, he brought attention to himself in a way that made most of the audience wonder, how does he do that? The audience, of course, including the local council.
    Holly in SoCal likes this.

FORT Fogey

It constantly amazes me what people will blurt out on television and/or social media without thinking about what it might tell others about them. It's like college and high school students who are underage who post photos of themselves having huge, drunken parties on facebook and then are surprised when it's used against them later.

People just don't seem to get the difference between private and public communication anymore.
    Holly in SoCal likes this.

FORT Fogey

Ah, just another day in the life of Paddy Doherty.

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Paddy Doherty injured in car park

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding star Paddy Doherty has had part of his ear bitten off in car park brawl.

The 52-year-old was taken to hospital after what police believe was an organised punch-up.
    Like father, like son.

Last week Paddy’s son David, 26, was stabbed while at the Appleby Horse Fair in Cumbria. Five men were arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm over David’s injuries

+ Reply to Thread