+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

[QUOTE=Tilden;4339715]
    Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    One must remember that in some European countries these kids are not allowed to go to school male or female due to laws in the country prohibiting it. Not that that is true here but as an oppressed group there are some harsh realities that go along with it.

Also in the US there are at least a couple subcultures where kids are not educated past a certain age and where women have traditional roles. I've never seen any of these cultures lacking in appreciation in their own way of art and beauty. Nor did I see them as unable to create art and beauty including the women (in their traditional roles). Also I would hardly say in at least one subculture that these folks are not contributing members of society. But it's of their society not the majority culture.

I choose to not filter these cultures through my majority culture lens because it's not fair to them and their realities. I see women frequently as well in the majority culture where due to where they live and what ever the realities are there drop out of school at an early age to be stay at home moms. In fact in the majority culture here it's quite looked down upon to say a negative word at women in traditional housewife roles....

Because MBFGW is the kind of show that raises more questions than it answers for me, I've been doing a lot of looking on-line for research on gypsy and traveler culture. According to some interviews that were conducted with travelers, part of the reason they have misgivings about the school system has to do with the history of the way they were treated by it. Traveler kids were sometimes kept separated from the rest of the students, even at lunch. They were forced to take showers before school started, because it was assumed they were unclean (though from what they've shown on this series, they seem to be pretty anal about keeping everything clean, which, I suppose, might make them feel particularly insulted if they were regarded as dirty). They were just not treated very well. I'm not saying that's still happening--I have no idea if it is--but if you've got generations going through that kind of treatment, it can contribute to an ingrained attitude. If you were treated badly at school, you're probably doubly suspicious that your kids or grandkids will be treated poorly. There are still problems on reservation schools because of a long history of misguided (at best) attempts at public education that don't take into account differences in culture (e.g. traditionally raised native kids may think it's impolite to look anyone directly in the eye or draw attention to your by calling out the answer, even if you do know it, because that may make someone who can't come up with answer as quickly feel bad).

Some travelers do send their kids to parochial schools, but those aren't free, and since traveler families can be pretty large, I can see how that might get expensive. Part of the reason they send them to parochial schools is that they don't like the sex and drug education classes in public school; in fact, they're not wild about the openly coed nature of public schools either. Some of the parochial schools are co-ed too, but I guess they feel with nuns and priests in charge, they're still going to get a fairly conservative education.

I'm not saying they shouldn't educate their kids. I'm just suggesting there may be reasons they have problems with the school system that works for most students. In some other conservative cultures (e.g. the Amish in the U.S.), the groups in question have established their own schools or they've managed to work out some kind of compromise with the dominant culture in the area (in Arthur, Illinois, the Amish and the "English" have an equal number of seats on the school board, for instance). But I think part of the reason the Amish in Arthur are able to do that is that they still have a number of similarities with their non-Amish neighbors: they're farmers, for instance, and their ethnic backgrounds are similar to their neighbors. Besides, the Amish community also brings business into the area--they make quilts, harnesses, cheese, preserves etc. that pull in tourists and collectors. People also tend to think of the Amish lifestyle as quaint and admirable and just come to see the horse-drawn wagons etc. Gypsies and travelers don't have that same aura nor do they draw people in--instead, their neighbors are likely worried about their property values if a gypsy trailer park pops up next door, which, frankly, is reasonable, given the fact that gypsies do, by their own admission, like to throw some pretty extensive parties. People typically don't like to live next door to anyone who's noisy, regardless of who they are.

If the travelers/gypsies were able to establish their own communities, as the Amish, Mennonites, and Hutterites do, there would probably be less difficulties for them, but their situation is very different. Their culture isn't tied to remaining in one place and there simply isn't as much land available for anyone in Great Britain as there is in the United States, because the country is so much smaller.

On a tangential note, a number of years ago, I attended a performance of the yearly Laura Ingalls Wilder pageant in DeSmet, SD (they do a play based on one of the books set in DeSmet every year--I don't know why they call it a pageant, because it's really a play). There was a Hutterite conference in the area at the time, so a large contingent of Hutterites were in attendance. Their daily dress is very similar to the costumes that were worn in the play, so prior to the play, when the actors were wandering around in costume, it was sometimes a little difficult to tell who was in the audience and who was in the cast. I don't know how popular Wilder's books are in the Hutterite community, but they certainly seemed to enjoy themselves.
    They're often treated poorly in public schools if they're even allowed to go to the public schools at all. There are actually NGOs out there that go to where these folks try to settle to educate the children because of the fact that in many countries they literally are not allowed to go to schools.

And sometimes there are attempts to settle and contribute how they know how to but literally they are banned from communities if not kicked out of countries entirely. They are treated like second class citizens regardless of where they go. I've known some who try to get legit jobs but can't because they're not allowed to work in this or that country due to who they are. This show is not a realistic view of the cultural realities at all.

It's just not that simple. I've met numerous women and children in this culture. Likely in more oppressed parts of this culture. As a feminist I respect their life they live. It works for them and it was quite obvious to me when I spent time with these folks. It's traditional and it's not something I would choose but again I would never choose to be a housewife in the majority culture either. If what they are doing is degrading to women then logic follows that all women who are stay at home moms and housewifes is degrading which is just not true. That's what these women do.

Amish, Hutterites, Mennonites and so on are not known for educating their children very far in school and the women are often subserviant to men. There are also some questionable cultural practices in these cultures too. Yet you'd be hard pressed to find many people in the US start criticizing these cultures. If they were skewed by a "Big Fat Amish wedding" show which only presented their most negative traits from the worst representatives of the culture then yeah there probably would be a bunch of dismay around it.

I would certainly hope that people would look around and realize that is who they picked for this show. It would be like someone watching the Beverly Hillbillies or Jersey Shore and thinking we all behave like that because we're all from the US. We know that's not true.

FORT Fogey

The best chance for change is when it comes from within the community itself. In this article, the son and grandson of Irish travellers who won a seat on the Wiltshire Council advocates for gypsy families to settle for the sake of their children's education. His own experience proves that within a generation of a family's becoming settled in a community, it's possible for their children to benefit from acquiring an education.

Education is the key in the Wiltshire gypsy debate (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald)

He said: “Education is so important. Without the ability to read and write and use computers and the internet it is very hard to get by these days.

“Ninety per cent of everything I do with the council is online. Children need access to good schooling otherwise how will they get by?

“In the past travellers have done odd jobs but that is becoming more controlled and less available.

“Or they turn to a life of crime as the only way to survive.

“We need a system that reduces the likelihood of crime and provides opportunities for children to learn as citizens of this country.”
    I hope Mr. Killane will continue to reach out to the gypsy community and provide the kind of leadership that can bring them into the 21st century, unlike Billy Welch's (the "gypsy king") outdated position on the value of education.

FORT Fogey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2037207/Celebrity-Big-Brother-2011-winner-Paddy-Doherty-shows-dyed-hair-TV-Choice-Awards.htmlIt appears one of the MBFGW "stars" may be cut from the new season!

Another “Celebrity Big Brother UK” housemate who is in trouble is Paddy Doherty. He walked off “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding” after only two days of filming in the latest series, to appear on “Celebrity Big Brother.” Program bosses are understandably angry about his decision to walk away from the show that made him a celebrity. They are talking about firing him and cutting out all his scenes from the new season of “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding” currently being filmed.
    Celebrity Big Brother UK Recap: A Guest Housemate and Alliances Form | celebritynewsandstyle.com

Paddy eventually won CBB and got a makeover too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ce-Awards.html
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 09-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.

I'm glad there will be a season 2, I just wish he wouldn't have gotten a big head from the 1st season.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I actually saw him on BBUK and grew to love him. *shrug*
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Wow! I didn't watch alot of episodes of MBFGW, but I did see him... now he is a star! lol!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

It's Baaaaack!!! Friday (tomorrow) on TLC, so set your DVR's.
    Kiz likes this.

Anyone watch the first episode?? I didn't understand the palm tree or pineapple dress, other than camera time for those girls.

Also, the grandma who says she didn't like the way they were dressed ... I guess it is a culture thing cause my grandma would have made me cover up then and there!

Kiz

I finally watched the show yesterday. Other than that the girls could barely sit down or climb into the limo, the pineapple and palm dresses were the first ones I kind of liked. They were colorful, imaginative, and weren't shouting something I can't say on this board.

The beauty pageant turned out to be a bust, but I was very happy with the girl they picked as winner. Not only was she very pretty, but she dressed appropriately for her age for a change. She was a breath of fresh air. The three other girls were also were great sports.

I'll never understand the parents, especially the dads, who buy these little girls such provocative clothes.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Just watched the gypsies marrying the non gypsies episode ... the guy whose wife left him after 7 years and had no clue why. Meanwhile, the camera is rolling as he's ordering his aunt on how to clean his trailer. Gee, wonder why she left???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011