+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

FORT Fogey

Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Wow, what a satisfying show. It is like watching Biggest Loser on FF without having to use FF.

Each one hour episode follows one person for a full year. The first episode showed Rachael go from 369 lbs to 161 lbs including plastic surgery to removed excess skin. Very cool.

FORT Fan

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight loss

She weighed 208 at the end, losing 161 pounds. It bothered me that she only lost 31 pounds in the last six months WITH the surgery.
    First 3 months -- 80 pounds, second three months 50, third three months only 3 lbs., last three months after surgery 28 pounds.
    Trust Me!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Newsboi View Post
    She weighed 208 at the end, losing 161 pounds. It bothered me that she only lost 31 pounds in the last six months WITH the surgery.
    First 3 months -- 80 pounds, second three months 50, third three months only 3 lbs., last three months after surgery 28 pounds.
    Ahhh, that explains why she looked heavier than 161! That is a lot of weight to lose in a year though. She must have had a good 10 lbs of skin.

I have a different take on this show from what I expected. I was rather disappointed; not in the girl. I think she did great, but I thought the trainer and the producers let her down. I was expecting much more. IT was as if they just made things for the viewers to watch without really helping this girl. That one scene where he was screaming at her was so silly. Here's what I think they should have included.

What are this trainer's credentials? I never heard of him and I don't think he had much of a personality. I didn't see much of what he did for this girl that she couldn't have gotten from going to Weight Watchers and visiting her local gym. They bribed her with a trip, but he didn't seem to really bond with her or give her much individual care. That part about having to put her on that special scale was BS. Any scale in a doctor office or gym would have covered her. So silly.

What about a medical exam, BMI, etc.
    Why showboat for viewers about overexerting your body, so you injure it and are out of commission for a few weeks. It's so silly. Real trainers don't encourage you to hurt yourself, unless you're on tv.

What about psychological and emotional issues? She should have been seeing a counselor or someone to talk to about what her real issues were. They just brushed over that. Getting the weight off is just the beginning. Learning new ways of eathing and keeping it off is the true success story and they didn't seem to focus on that.

In the end they pretended her family was on board, but that was a lie. They just sugar coated it. Her mom looked just as big and the girl didn't lose much weight in the last months, because they weren't eating right. Why pretend it was just fine?

I'm glad the girl did so well, but I have no intention to watch it again.
    IMO the show needs a makeover. LOL

FORT Fogey

Debb, funny, that is why I liked this show; it eliminated all of that!

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Debb, funny, that is why I liked this show; it eliminated all of that!
    Okay. LOL

Seriously, I think you can treat it like that when you only have 40-60 pounds to lose, but when it's super morbidly, obese, it's a whole new ballgame. I thought they would have treated it a little more comprehensively.

Also, when watching the conclusion, you had to watch carefully, because they displayed 169 like it was her current weight. You had to look carefully to see that that number was the weight loss and not her current weight.

In general I liked the show...parts not so much. Her family tried to help her at times but didn't have the same motivation as she did so ended up sabotaging her quite a bit. I wish that she had picked up the phone and called him during the 6-9 months mark when she only lost 3 llbs...he might have been able to re-tweak her motivation and get her going again. Weight loss always gets harder and harder the closer you get to your proper weight...in the final synopsis picture where it said she wanted to go on to be a personal trainer, it looked like she had lost even more weight than she had at the year end reveal.

I could really relate to this girl as I am close to her weight. Only prob is I am about 40 years older than her and have health issues...I only wish I had her drive and determination.
    Choices are the hinges of destiny.

Deeddreamer, many of us have those weight issues too. It's such a big stuggle. I have been very thin and also heavy. Most of the time I have had to be very careful about diet and exercise to stay a normal weight, under 150. Kirstie Ally has inspired me to get back into shape. I have had some injuries that have kept me from doing full workouts, but they have improved and I think I am able now.

I do wonder if it's wise to work out 4-5 hours per day. When I was in my top shape, I worked out very hard for about 2 hours and I was exhausted. I really can't see me doing much more than that, and that was about 5 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Newsboi View Post
    Yeah, that bothered me too. This girl successfully lost 130lbs in 6 months and then its as if she lost all motivation. Big point is that she did show that working out without the doing the nutrition part of the program won't help you lose the weight.

I did find it very hard to understand that no one helped her in the third phase where she only lost 3 pounds. I thought it was very nice that she got the surgery but couldn't they have waited how is she going to work out with incisions in her stomach and both arms. Also she only lost 28lbs the last phase or month 9 - 12. A good portion of that could have been the stomach skin and arm skin that they took off. Shouldn't you wait until all the weight is off before removing the skin? It's like she rewarded for doing nothing the last 6 months of this program.

While I am glad the mom lost 50lbs. Where was it I didn't see it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have a different take on this show from what I expected. I was rather disappointed; not in the girl. I think she did great, but I thought the trainer and the producers let her down. I was expecting much more. IT was as if they just made things for the viewers to watch without really helping this girl. That one scene where he was screaming at her was so silly. Here's what I think they should have included.

What are this trainer's credentials?
    I never heard of him and I don't think he had much of a personality. I didn't see much of what he did for this girl that she couldn't have gotten from going to Weight Watchers and visiting her local gym. They bribed her with a trip, but he didn't seem to really bond with her or give her much individual care. That part about having to put her on that special scale was BS. Any scale in a doctor office or gym would have covered her. So silly.

What about a medical exam, BMI, etc.
    Why showboat for viewers about overexerting your body, so you injure it and are out of commission for a few weeks. It's so silly. Real trainers don't encourage you to hurt yourself, unless you're on tv.

What about psychological and emotional issues? She should have been seeing a counselor or someone to talk to about what her real issues were. They just brushed over that. Getting the weight off is just the beginning. Learning new ways of eathing and keeping it off is the true success story and they didn't seem to focus on that.

In the end they pretended her family was on board, but that was a lie. They just sugar coated it. Her mom looked just as big and the girl didn't lose much weight in the last months, because they weren't eating right. Why pretend it was just fine?

I'm glad the girl did so well, but I have no intention to watch it again.
    IMO the show needs a makeover. LOL
    OM gosh.. google him. He has been on Oprah and the show 600lbs Virgin. He is a trainer who helps morbidly obese people lose weight.

Just a note. I thought it was pretty remarkable that the trainer stayed with Rachel for 3 months and trained her in the gym the show created for her in the family rec room. He was giving her one on one traiing sessions 3 times a day plus whatever additional cardio she was doing. No wonder she lost 80 lbs in 3 months. What was sad was having that experience that Rachel and her family could not be follow through better after 6 months and be more supportive. I wonder if Dad lost more weight or kept off the 15lbs he did lose.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 05-31-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 1234567891011 ... LastLast