+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

FORT Fogey

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

The second episode was exactly like the first episode, just like I thought it would be. Also, someone on the Biggest Loser had some type of weight loss surgery before they were on the show, and ended up with a much higher percentage of body fat. Does anyone recall what type of surgery the person had, and if it's common for people who have that type of surgery to end up with a much higher percentage of body fat?

Kinda disappointed with the second episode, seemed a total copy of the first. What really irks me is that they should call this a 9 month weight loss show not a 1 year weight loss show as the first and second participant had surgery at the 9 month mark and I cannot see either doing any kind of exercise for at least 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery and looking at their weight loss numbers for the last 3 months it looks as if most of that weight loss was due to excess skin being removed. I would be much happier if the participants had reached their goal weight and remained there for 6 months letting their bodies adjust to their new weight before having surgery.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Just read some articles on lose skin and weight loss. Surprised to see that surgeons recommend that you maintain your weight loss for two years before contemplating surgery. It gives your skin time to detox and shrink as much as possible. Exfoliation is good, mositizing is good, take supplements for your skin, hydrate your skin, your skin may also have extra fat attached and it takes time to get rid of it even if you have lost weight in other places. Your skin in your largest organ, treat it well.

I actually know someone who had gastric bypass and just, after two years, had the skin removal surgery. Sadly, that doesn't make for as good a tv show so they'll continue to use the surgery to finish off the year of weight loss.
    I don't want to take anything away from the people who lose dramatic amounts of weight, I'd just like to se them keep it off for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Just read some articles on lose skin and weight loss. Surprised to see that surgeons recommend that you maintain your weight loss for two years before contemplating surgery. It gives your skin time to detox and shrink as much as possible. Exfoliation is good, mositizing is good, take supplements for your skin, hydrate your skin, your skin may also have extra fat attached and it takes time to get rid of it even if you have lost weight in other places. Your skin in your largest organ, treat it well.
    This is my biggest problem with this show. The surgery is way too early & handled way too nonchalant. At least this time the guy had really applied himself & lost the weight in the 3rd quarter. What he had was really excess skin removal.
    What Rachel had was weightloss surgery to remove the weight, not just excess skin. The old nip & tuck. She had given up on the diet & wasn't even close to her goal.
    By the way, whatever happened to the smilies. I miss them.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I actually know someone who had gastric bypass and just, after two years, had the skin removal surgery. Sadly, that doesn't make for as good a tv show so they'll continue to use the surgery to finish off the year of weight loss.
    I don't want to take anything away from the people who lose dramatic amounts of weight, I'd just like to se them keep it off for a time.
    Couldn't agree more, while Rachel and shy guy did lose huge amounts of weight I too don't feel the commitment to stay at that goal weight totally don't like that the producers are using skin removal surgery as part of the weight loss journey.

Does anyone remember the original Extreme Makeover?
    They took someone with a good sob story who for various reasons had an unfortunate appearance & gave them plastic surgery on various areas of their faces (I seem to remember a lot of chin implants), tummy tucks, liposuction, breast implants (I swear EVERY woman had those), Lasix eye surgery, hair & wardrobe updates & redoings, & anything else they could think of. Then they had a big reveal just like this show.
    There was a big outcry against that show because of the message it supposedly sent about appearance & the casual way it presented surgery. It was abruptly taken off the air.

The surgery approach on this Weight Loss Edition reminds me a lot of that.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

I watched the original Extreme Makeover. Part of the makeover included becoming a bleached blonde. They all ended up looking alike.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Couldn't agree more, while Rachel and shy guy did lose huge amounts of weight I too don't feel the commitment to stay at that goal weight totally don't like that the producers are using skin removal surgery as part of the weight loss journey.
    Really? I cannot imagine what it would be like to have 20+ pounds of hanging skin on my body. There is an odor involved too, as sweat catches in all the folds. It has to be part of the journey when people are this heavy.

To the Point

I didn't watch much of the 2nd episode. Watching the first episode I was really bothered by the fact that the girl/woman, while losing a great amount of weight did the majority of that in the first several months. Towards the end it seemed as if her weight loss had become incredibly negligible for someone her size. There just seemed to be a whole lot of unfinished business on the mental/emotional part of the journey. Maybe it's just way to much to cover in the time frame.

+ Reply to Thread