+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Loose Skin:

I know on this show the folks are super big and have stretched out skin. They also lose skin very quickly and that is one reason that the skin hasn't shrunk to keep up. I also know folks that weight train and add muscle have less issues as the muscle fills up the loose skin. Some folks have less problems as genetically their skin bounces back better. Luck of the draw on that. It's easier if you are younger. Again cells regenerate faster. I honestly don't know if there is any type of ratio as to how many pounds of skin a person looses through surgery. I do notice a lot of ladies at the gym who have lost weight consistently complain about their stomachs but from what I see they have horrible posture and have rounded shoulders and that makes their tummies stick out.

Congratulations on losing so much weight.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Congratulations, Eastcoastmom!
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I add my congratulations! I was just making a guess based on a comment made in an earlier year of this show by the plastic surgeon...re a woman with a lot of sagging stomach skin....I mean it was hanging way down as she'd been quite successful at weight loss.
    The surgeon on this show always seems to be focusing on tummy and arms...never legs, so can't really help there!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Re the bolded comment: I have never watched this show. I've been on a weight loss journey of my own these past 14 months and have shed 118 pounds to date! I have wondered myself about the loose, hanging skin. My diet coach assures me that given a period of time (about 3 years) and with toning and firming exercise, that the skin will firm up and not be so saggy. I find that hard to believe as skin is not so elastic once you get to a certain age, as I am 57. So, I am wondering if all of the contestants on this show go under the knife after having lost an excessive amount of weight and how long after?

In talking to my insurance company and also a phone consult with a plastic surgeon, the insurance will only pay in full for a tummy tuck, when deemed medically necessary. That's because the extra folds of skin are prone to infection. I guess I have been lucky, then, b/c most of my weight was never around my middle. I do have a small roll around the tummy, but not excessive folds, and no infections. What I can't stand are the jiggly thighs. The flabby upper arms I can conceal with a sleeve. Unfortunately, any type of plastic surgery other than the tummy tuck is considered cosmetic and insurance won't pay for it. I guess I will just have to be patient and work on toning.

Any idea about how many pounds I would lose if they took off excess skin? Like is their some ratio or something? Sorry to hijack, maybe this should go in diet thread.
    If anyone can work on the toning, you can .You have showed tremendous tenacity in losing the weight. A friend of mine had the band, and she lost weight, something happened and she got very sick, and her bowel etc. got infected. She has put the weight she lost back on. She admits to having no discipline at all when it comes to food and exercise
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thank you Bearcata, mushybrain, PWS, and Fanny. Fanny, I am so, so glad I never got the lap band, though I know it has been a godsend for many people. I just did not want to have to deal with all of the side effects that come from that. It's very hard to get all the nutrients you need b/c you are ingesting so little food, plus possibility of infections, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Thank you Bearcata, mushybrain, PWS, and Fanny. Fanny, I am so, so glad I never got the lap band, though I know it has been a godsend for many people. I just did not want to have to deal with all of the side effects that come from that. It's very hard to get all the nutrients you need b/c you are ingesting so little food, plus possibility of infections, etc.
    I am glad you didnt, this was her second time getting the lap bad, SMH.Now she has bad knees, really bad. She is the same age as me, and when we walk, we do so very very slowly.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I know when you have any kind of obesity surgery you are supposed to be in a support group, you are supposed to exercise and supposed to see a nutritionist and it is highly recommended that you change your lifestyle as far as eating and exercising. The surgery is supposed to put a huge physical obstacle in you body so you really have no choice but to limit food intake. Unfortunately, I know folks who only pay lip service to this process and after they lose the weight and their remaining stomach stretches out they gain the weight back. Unfortunately, there can be massive side effects to that type of surgery.
    alizarules likes this.

Season 3 - Episode 2 - Kathie and Josh Morton - Mother and Son

What nice people, they had a very nice relationship with each other.

I really enjoyed these 2. When Josh was on his own and fell off the diet plan, it was good to see him get back on without intervention from Chris and Heidi.
    They both looked fantastic at the end and it was nice to see Josh heading off to college and Kathie in, what appears to be, a good relationship. It was sad that Josh's dad wasn't at the reveal. I hope Josh learns to stop caring what his dad thinks of him. From what I could see, the dad isn't worth stressing over.
    PWS and mushybrain like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Melissa, in my opinion, looked better before the makeover.... Interesting that Heidi is stepping up to share the show. She's definitely the Jillian to Chris' (old) Bob from TBL.

+ Reply to Thread