+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Bob what an inspirational person and episode to end the season. The daughter on the other hand needs a smack to the head. The comment she made at the very end of the show about not needing to lose half her body weight was so snarky and disrespectful of her father. She started her comment sounding like she had a change of heart about her attitude but she made sure she said she would do it someday when she was ready.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Knee injuries, I know a lot of posters are upset Bob worked out in spite of being told he had knee problems. Well the doctors must OK'ed Bob for the initial workout. I have twisted and sprained knees and ankles and have always been able to work around the injuries. Chris did the correct thing in having Bob swim, cycle, row and use the elliptical to protect his knee. It is obvious that Bob's adherence to the nutrition part of the program is what enabled him to be so successful with his weight loss. While the injury during the first workout was unfortunate after watching the episode it is pretty obvious that Bob was doing exercises he was not supposed to when he was on this on. He popped his other knee doing weighted lunges he was told not to do. He was doing step ups he was not supposed to be doing. Bob's being obese for 20 years put an incredible strain on his knees and had contributed to the knee being in a precarious position. While Bob did have the most recently injured knee scoped it sounded as if he still needs to have surgery on his original injury from Day One. I did think it was ridiculous to have Bob do his Fit For Duty exam only 12 weeks after having major skin surgery. Now that did seem to be a stupid decision.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Why didn't Chris walk up to the driver's side window, Bob's window? It's not as if Chris was going to give Bob a ticket. I think Bob should have spent maybe three months just swimming, then had the operation on his knee. When Chris had Bob push that 450 pound object, and when Chris put a 45 pound weight on Bob's shoulder, it was too much too soon. I wonder if the producers presssured Bob into choosing to lose weight instead of getting the operation. After three months, I think Bob looked the same as he did when he first started out. When Chris found out that Bob had torn his other knee, all that Chris cared about was phase 3 of the weight loss program. After a year, Bob and his wife looked almost anorexic.
    Wisconsin detective featured on 'Extreme Weight Loss' | Entertainment - WISN Home

partial quote:

But there was a lot of support from Bob's son, and especially his wife.

"When I was working out three hours a day and working full time someone had to pick up the slack," said Brenner.

"So we got rid of the pizza oven, all of our alcohol. We got rid of, you know, all of our processed food," said his wife Kelly.

Kelly Brenner had to get in shape too because she donated a kidney to her sister. She lost 50 pounds, but Bob's transformation was extreme.

"So I was down to 195 pounds. And so for me, was that realistic for me for the rest of my life? Absolutely not," Brenner said.

Three months after the show wrapped, Brenner weighed 215 pounds.
    He still works out but now 45 minutes a day, five days a week. He's also no longer an undercover detective with crazy hours.

"So I'm still doing the same program. I eat five times a day. I feel great. I have had a couple of desserts. I'm not going to lie," he said.

"I think it revitalized our marriage for sure," said Kelly Brenner.

Read more: Wisconsin detective featured on 'Extreme Weight Loss' | Entertainment - WISN Home

The above link is to the written article this link is to the video:

Wisconsin detective featured on 'Extreme Weight Loss' | Waukesha County - WISN Home

The video shows that Bob, his wife Kelly and son Jordan all have committed to a healthier lifestyle, so does that mean that daughter Kayla is a potential candidate for this series or The Biggest Loser?
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-08-2013 at 08:18 AM.

This link is to an interview of Chris Powell before Bob Brenner's final weight in at Carroll University:

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition comes to Carroll Univ. | Waukesha County - WISN Home

What shocks the heck out of me is at the end of the interview Chris does not recommend that folks jump into changing their diet all at one time as they do on the show, he doesn't recommend jumping into 4 or 5 hours of exercise at the start of a weight loss program. He recommends that regular folks, folks not on the show take one step at time. Who knew just sensible advice and in direct contrast to what they do on the show.

Bob Brenner's stats: 41 yrs old - Height: guessing between 5'10 - 6' compared to how tall he is when he stands next to Chris - Weight: 448 lbs

Waukesha Police Detective. Married 20 yrs. Wife - Kelly. Son - Jordan 17 yrs old. Daughter - Kayla 19 yrs old (brat). Goal to be under 230 lbs.

Total
    Phase Start wt Goal wt Goal lbs Actual wt lbs lost lbs lost
    1 - 3 months 448 323 125 322 126 126
    2 - 6 months 322 252 70 260 62 188
    3 - 9 months 260 224 36 220 40 228
    4 - 12 months 220 NA NA 195 25 253

Phase 1 - 3 months -13 weeks - actual lbs lost - 126 - lost an average of 9.69 lbs per week or 38.7 lbs per month

Phase 2 - 6 months - 13 weeks - actual lbs lost - 62 - lost an average of 4.76 lbs per week or 19.0 lbs per month

Phase 3 - 9 months - 13 weeks - actual lbs lost - 40 - lost an average of 3.07 lbs per week or 12.3 lbs per month

Phase 4 - 12 months - 13 weeks - actual lbs lost - 25 - lost an average of 1.92 lbs per week or 7.69 lbs per month

Had lost 50.89% of his body weight by the 9 month weight in. Criteria for surgery is 50% of body weight lost.

At the final weight in Bob had lost 56.47% of his original weight.

Bob maintains at 215 which means he lost over 52% of his original body weight. He currently weights 47% of what he used to.

To maintain his weight Bob exercises 5 times a week but for only 45 minutes and eats 5 times and occasionally has had a dessert.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-08-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    This link is to an interview of Chris Powell before Bob Brenner's final weight in at Carroll University:

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition comes to Carroll Univ. | Waukesha County - WISN Home

What shocks the heck out of me is at the end of the interview Chris does not recommend that folks jump into changing their diet all at one time as they do on the show, he doesn't recommend jumping into 4 or 5 hours of exercise at the start of a weight loss program. He recommends that regular folks, folks not on the show take one step at time. Who knew just sensible advice and in direct contrast to what they do on the show.
    Thanks for posting this. I think I may have mentioned before that I signed up for Chris' Shape Up America online program (I think that's what it was called) a few years back. One thing I loved about it is that, although you were supposed to do a short sequence of exercises every day, he designed different levels for everything. So if you couldn't do a squat, for example, he just wanted you to slowly get up off the couch. He did NOT advocate huge losses and in fact emphasized that the process was as important as the goal. So I've never been able to wrap my head around EMWL getting more and more numbers-oriented and pushing contestants harder and harder. We have another show that works that way--I wish this one would slow it down and make the storylines more applicable to real life for most of us.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Watching Mike, who started at 417, and has already lost over 100 lbs.--plus his whole family has lost weight.... On Demand. Really like the format, where you find out "the end" all in the same night... and there's no competition except with yourself. Enjoying Biggest Loser more this season as well, since they've mostly dropped all the alliance backbiting stuff.

Extreme Weight Loss season 4 has started. Episode 1 - Ty and Charita aired 5/27/2014. A first for the series;Ty quit the program.

It was a good episode. Ty apparently wants things handed to him without making an effort. I'm sure by now he is at or about his start weight which was, if I remember correctly, close to 500 pounds!!

Charita was very likeable and looked great at the reveal.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    It was a good episode. Ty apparently wants things handed to him without making an effort. I'm sure by now he is at or about his start weight which was, if I remember correctly, close to 500 pounds!!

Charita was very likeable and looked great at the reveal.
    Ty weighted in at 480 lbs. It sounded as if they would have taken him into baseball as long as he got under 300. Chris is 5'9" and Ty towered over him height wise. I also thought Ty was older as he has such a deep voice at 19. This guy really needed to see a therapist as it looks he has some deep seated abandonment issues due his mom not being there as a kid. What shocked me is that Ty expected the show to support his being a normal kid at college and pay his tuition. If Chris showed up at my door telling me that I had an opportunity to go to a weight loss clinic for 3 months or be at Chris's bootcamp for 3 months I think I would go. It's only three months and it is a live changing opportunity. Those don't come along that often.

+ Reply to Thread