+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    Ha! I can barely remember my guidance counselor in high school--totally ineffective. I imagine a good one can have a great impact on a kid's life, however.

Cassandra was strong! I was impressed by her work ethic, though I was surprised she seemed so clueless (maybe deliberately so?) about the nutrition. In any case, she looked really healthy at the end.
    I was surprised by this as well, considering the fact that she was a high-level athlete. I don't expect every person on this show to know a ton about nutrition. Obviously, you don't get to 100+ lbs overweight by being an expert on nutrition, but I'd expect someone who was an elite athlete to know more than the average person.

I'm always surprised at how little weight most of them lose in the last 90 days. Didn't the doctor say that Cassandra had 15 (20?) lbs worth of skin to be removed? Yet she only lost maybe a dozen pounds in those months. Anyone know how long the recovery time is from the surgery? Can you just do NOTHING physical during that period?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah, it seems the weight loss stops after the surgery. I wonder if they retain a lot of fluid after that.

Ref. Ashley. Since she had her son after the girl that she lost, why did she keep saying she couldn't carry a child? She carried her son at a large size.

FORT Fogey

Maybe knowledge about nutrition isn't required to be a champion shot putter. From what I've read about professional football players, they eat a lot, but many don't eat well. I've read that it's common for pro football players to gain weight after they stop playing. While watching Cassandra's story, I thought the same thing happened to her. She likely ate her favorite food, instead of nutritious food, while in training. Then when she stopped all of her exercising, gained weight like a former pro football player.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm always surprised at how little weight most of them lose in the last 90 days. Didn't the doctor say that Cassandra had 15 (20?) lbs worth of skin to be removed? Yet she only lost maybe a dozen pounds in those months. Anyone know how long the recovery time is from the surgery? Can you just do NOTHING physical during that period?
    I just did a little research into this question. It appears that the more skin to be removed and the more parts of the body that need skin removal is part of the determination on how long the recovery. The minimum recovery time I saw was 3 weeks, but, on reading from a few message boards, it seems that 3 weeks is very optimistic. Some were still on pain medication 6 weeks post surgery. This type surgery has a huge laundry list of common post surgery problems. Some of the sites I checked recommended that the patient wait one year after weight loss before getting the surgery. Often times, especially with younger people, the skin will shrink back and surgery can be avoided.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I had my upper and lower eyelids done and there was much more to it than you would think considering how it's portrayed on tv. They act like it's so minor, but it took a long time for the swelling to go down and the scars to fade. I wouldn't say it was painful, but it was uncomfortable, because it's so tight feeling due to the swelling. I can't even imagine a major opeation like the skin removal.

I do wonder after 9 months of intense dieting and exercising you then have surgery and can't exercise .. doesn't that mess up your determination to maintain that lifestyle versus the last 10, 15, 20, 30 years you didn't have good eating habits you didn't exercise and you have some major emotional issues which are the hardest to overcome?

While I applaud the idea of the show, I too think the skin surgery is too soon and folks need to wait the year especially the younger ones but I know that they won't do that because that messes with the ratings. I would like to see a reunion show a where are they now show. I wonder if they will ever do that?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I have to say, for the most part the people who had the skin surgery don't seem to look all that different from those who don't at the finale. With one exception, no one is showing up in a bikini or anything. I agree it would be best to wait--it would give people time to recover, time for some of the skin to tighten up on its own, AND be a great motivation to keep the weight off long-term.

Pretty sure the ones who don't get the surgery are wearing VERY good girdles to hold everything in, much like on the finale to Biggest Loser.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just to let everyone know the show has been renewed for season 4 - 2013 - 2014.

August 27, 2013 - Cassandra Dumas - 45 yrs old - High School Guidance Counselor and Track Coach Eastside High School, Lancaster, CA - school teams are the Eastside Lions - episode 12

During the first season the person's height, weight were given as well as the food plan. I have noticed that it seems that we only see the height and food plan every other episode and I find that relative annoying. I did like that there was an emphasis on the nutrition in this episode and we got to see some great meals such at the lobster and sweet potato. Still think that is kinda a weird "taste" combination. I would think the flavor of the sweet potato would overwhelm the delicate flavor of the lobster. That also begs the question when was the last time anyone has ever seen fresh lobster being sold at Walmart?

I also like that the Skin Doctor said that he would need to remove about 5 ft of skin from Cassandra and that would weight in about 12 to 14 lbs.

I wish that since she was diagnosed with sleep apnea if she ever got a CPAP machine, did she use it and does she need it anymore now that she has lost all that weight?

+ Reply to Thread