+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

I guess what pisses me off the most about Alyssa is if skin surgery was so important to you and you are so close to meeting your goal why quit?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Right. I can understand why she was upset with the news from the doctor, but if she had gotten to her goal before her final weighin, things would have been different, so why did she only lose 6 pounds in the final phase? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Right. I can understand why she was upset with the news from the doctor, but if she had gotten to her goal before her final weighin, things would have been different, so why did she only lose 6 pounds in the final phase? I don't get it.
    She lost 12 lbs not 6 - she went from 216 to 204. I agree though. She had three months to lose that relatively small amount of weight (especially considering how much she'd lost in the previous 9 months) and she didn't do it. To complain about ABC not paying for her surgery when she didn't meet the requirements seems more than a bit ungrateful after the amount of money she was given in trips, gift cards and improvements to her home....not to mention having a personal trainer with her for, what, 6 months out of the year? Chris was with her for phase 1 and then she was with Chris and Heidi in AZ for phase 3.

I wonder what she was doing (or not doing) during phase 4 that she only lost 12 lbs. It sort of confirms for me that she wasn't ready for the skin removal surgery. Sadly, I can see her gaining back all of her weight and I don't feel that way about most of the people on this show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    She lost 12 lbs not 6 - she went from 216 to 204. I agree though. She had three months to lose that relatively small amount of weight (especially considering how much she'd lost in the previous 9 months) and she didn't do it. To complain about ABC not paying for her surgery when she didn't meet the requirements seems more than a bit ungrateful after the amount of money she was given in trips, gift cards and improvements to her home....not to mention having a personal trainer with her for, what, 6 months out of the year? Chris was with her for phase 1 and then she was with Chris and Heidi in AZ for phase 3.

I wonder what she was doing (or not doing) during phase 4 that she only lost 12 lbs. It sort of confirms for me that she wasn't ready for the skin removal surgery. Sadly, I can see her gaining back all of her weight and I don't feel that way about most of the people on this show.

ABC has these short transformation clips that show all the weight ins.

The Transformation: Alyssa Extreme Weight Loss Video Clips - ABC.com

Alyssa only lost 6 lbs during phase 4. She lost 204 lbs overall.

The weight in board said 414 in the red section for the start weight. 210 in the blue section for the current weight and 204 in the green section for the number of pounds lost.

Last edited by Bearcata; 08-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Ah, I thought sure they showed the scale at 204 lbs as her weight, not as the amount lost. My bad. That makes it even worse.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really do hate the finale weight in because that green section of the board in so hard to read even when they do a screen shot of the entire board and it is really harder to read when they where weighting the other nurses during Trina's finale and when they were weighting Chantelle's mom during her episode and they only show a partial section of that lighted board. It's a weight loss show I want to see how much they lost. Duh!

Another interview with Alyssa Stommen on YouTube on AfterBuzzTV: Extreme Weight Loss S:3 | Alyssa E:9 | AfterBuzz TV AfterShow - YouTube

She calls in from about minute 24 to minute 45.

Comes across so much better in this interview then on the TV episode.

Some interesting points:

1. Need to take a 3 month leave of absence from work to do phase 1. Her job wouldn't let her do it so she quit. Decided to take the year off and work on her weight.

2. Chris and Heidi can't workout with everyone so they have Boot Camp House in Arizona where she met some of the other contestants and she met Jackie who was her mentor. The contestants stay for various time periods.

3. Had a therapist from the beginning who does have a specialty in eating disorders but initially just talked about her mom's death but later was dealing with her eating issues and talked to her 3 to 4 times a week. The therapist is from Arizona.

4. Felt pressure to hit weight loss goals. Reduced calories to 1200 didn't see results. Reduced to 800, then to 600 then 400 then not eating for 72 hours and living on caffeine and water. Then body starved for calories and binged.

Current lifestyle

1. Gets up in morning and workouts out 6 days a week.

2. uses Concept 2 rower every day, runs a 5K every day, does squats, pushups and planks.

3. Loves to bike ride ... much more active then before.
    Debb70 likes this.

It sounds like she's really active. When I worked out very heavily, I stayed pretty thin and didn't have to count calories. I just tried not to eat crazy. As long as I was reasonable, I was okay. The problem is I started having some physical injuries and other conditions that just wouldn't allow me to keep working like that. I worked out 5-6 days per week and on those days would run 5-6 miles, bike 1 mile, do eliptical for 1 mile, then do a round of various weights and numerous crunches. And I usually danced a lot every Friday or Saturday night. lol With muscle issues, it's difficult to keep that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It sounds like she's really active. When I worked out very heavily, I stayed pretty thin and didn't have to count calories. I just tried not to eat crazy. As long as I was reasonable, I was okay. The problem is I started having some physical injuries and other conditions that just wouldn't allow me to keep working like that. I worked out 5-6 days per week and on those days would run 5-6 miles, bike 1 mile, do eliptical for 1 mile, then do a round of various weights and numerous crunches. And I usually danced a lot every Friday or Saturday night. lol With muscle issues, it's difficult to keep that up.
    I do understand why you have to balance in your life between the food, exercise, work and family. All can mess up the balance. I too thought when I started working out thought the weight would just drop off and it didn't. I am much more a proponent now for eating right, cleanly 80% of the time and still have reward meals. As for exercise you do need to incorporate it into your life as our bodies are meant to move and the joints get stiff if you don't. I do believe consistency and intensity are key to being healthy and at times in your life you can't workout 1 or 2 hours a day but only have 2 or 3 hours for the entire week. I luv going on to youTube and finding some short but intense workouts. Still hate burpees, pushups and mountain climbers and jumping. I am developing a real fondness for kettlebell training as it can be really intense and you only need 20 minutes or so to wipe yourself out.

Currently Alyssa is still very young and is at a stage in live where she is very active. She still has issues. It will be interesting to see how she can maintain her eating and exercising when she goes back to school to become a medical technician like she wants to.

I want to see a Reunion Show and see where everyone is now especially those folks from season 1 and 2 as it would be 3 or 4 yrs since their episodes where filmed.

+ Reply to Thread