+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine3331 View Post
    According to OMG Insider, the mom lost 24 pounds.
    The weight in board shows the start weight on top, the end weight in the middle and the pounds lost on the bottom. I already knew what the start weight was and what I saw was the very right side of the sign board and the middle number was 7 and the number on the bottom was a 4.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

So what is Chris aiming for....that you should lose half your total goal in the first 3 months, another quarter in the next 3 months, and then take the next 6 mo to take off the final quarter, have surgery, and recover? So if I need to lose 180, I could, if I really worked at it food and exercise wise, lose 90 lbs. in 3 months, and 45 more in the next 3? That seems to be what a lot of these people are doing....
    I must say this show is much more enjoyable than The Biggest Loser. None of the game playing, and while they may not wind up as skinny as some of TBL players the whole experience is a lot more pleasant. Very little screaming from Chris.
    Last edited by PWS; 08-09-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    Photobabe likes this.

To be eligible for skin removal surgery you need to be about half of your starting weight. Me I would want to lose it all before I had any surgery. Most folks lose the most in the first 3 months because it is such a shock to your body to suddenly be excising so much and reducing your food intake. I would be happier with the show if they gave folks the entire year to lose the weight before surgery.

I do think Chris calculates the total amount of weight you need to lose and since he understands the carb cycling they use to lose weight on this show he probably has a very good idea what each person should be able to lose per each phase based on what they are supposed to eat and how many calories they are supposed to burn each day.

I do think they expect each person to lose about 25% of their body weight in the first 3 months and considering the folks are really big that almost always averages out to about 100lbs.

I was doing the math on the "I Used To Be Fat" thread and both the guys and girls were losing between 5 to 7lbs a week the first phase. Then it would taper to about 3 to 4 lbs a week the second phase and then down to 2 lbs or so a week. Really depends if you stick to the food plan and if you stick to the workout plan.

Alyssa - August 6, 2013

OK..still mourning her mom's death 12 yrs later and it seems her dad is too. Both need some grief counseling to get past this. I don't mean to be insensitive but both need some closure.

If you look at Chantelle's stat's Chris wanted her to lose:

phase 1 - 27%
    phase 2 - 23%
    phase 3 - 18%

I have mixed emotions about Alyssa. Yes, she has a food addiction but to whine about not losing enough weight during phase 2, 3 and 4 just pissed me off. Yes you lost an average of 36 lbs a month or 8.3 lbs a week during phase 1, you were eating 6,000 plus calories a day and you went to eating 1500 calories a day and working out 4 to 6 hours a day. Do the math it falls off. Even losing 40 lbs during phase 2 is still 13 lbs a month or 3+ lbs a week. If you had lost the 60 lbs goal wt you would have lost 20 lbs a month of 4.6 lbs a week. Whose fault is that? I know folks me included who would be thrilled with that kind of result. Phase 3 was 16 lbs per month or 3.8 lbs per week again a great result but not good enough for Alyssa who basically had a hissy fit because the doctor didn't perform skin removal surgery because she didn't meet the goal weight and it would have been harmful to her to have the surgery. So what does Alyssa do basically quit the program and loses 10 lbs over the next 3 months and then moans how hard it was to lose the weight in a 9 month period. Yes it was hard to lose the weight and I applaud her for doing it but it seems her effort wasn't good enough for her. Please go to therapy Alyssa. You need it.

I read an interview with Alyssa where she was complaining about how ABC didn't pay for skin removal surgery. She was told that she needed to get down to 200 lbs. She had 3 months to lose 16 lbs and she didn't do it. No one to blame but herself for not losing the weight. I realize it's harder to lose weight as you get smaller, but jeez. She lost over 100 lbs in the first three months and only lost 12 lbs in the final 3 months. Sorry, but there's no way that's not on her. Yes, it's only 4 lbs, but they gave her a number and she didn't reach it. After EVERYTHING they gave her, including a full house makeover and an infinity pool (which I would KILL for, btw), it felt a little ungrateful to bitch about not getting the surgery when she didn't hold up her end of the bargain.
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Alyssa's stats: 22 yrs old - 5'?" Ht - 414 lbs Wt

Phase start wt Goal wt Goal lbs Actual wt lbs lost total lbs lost
    1 - 3 months 414 309 105 306 108 108
    2 - 6 months 309 246 60 266 40 148
    3 - 9 months 266 NA NA 216 50 198
    4 - 12 months 216 under 200 * 16+ 210 6 204

Phase 1 - 3 months -13 weeks - lost an average of 8.3 lbs per week or 36 lbs per month

Phase 2 - 6 months - 13 weeks - goal 60 lbs - would be an average of 4.6 lbs per week or 20 lbs per month
    Phase 2 - 6 months - 13 weeks - actual lbs lost - 40 - an average of 3.1 lbs per week or 13 lbs per month
    Phase 2 - started to binge and purge

Phase 3 - 9 months - 13 weeks - NA - goal to eat 1500 calories a day and do her workouts 6 times per week
    Phase 3 - 9 months - 13 weeks - actual lbs lost - 50 - an average of 3.8 lbs per week or 16.6 lbs per month

Phase 4 - 12 months - 13 weeks - goal to continue what she was doing in phase 3
    Phase 4 - 12 months - 13 weeks - actual lbs lost - 6 - and average of 0.461 lbs per week or 2 lbs per month

* Needed to be under 200 lbs to receive skin removal surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I read an interview with Alyssa where she was complaining about how ABC didn't pay for skin removal surgery. She was told that she needed to get down to 200 lbs. She had 3 months to lose 16 lbs and she didn't do it. No one to blame but herself for not losing the weight. I realize it's harder to lose weight as you get smaller, but jeez. She lost over 100 lbs in the first three months and only lost 12 lbs in the final 3 months. Sorry, but there's no way that's not on her. Yes, it's only 4 lbs, but they gave her a number and she didn't reach it. After EVERYTHING they gave her, including a full house makeover and an infinity pool (which I would KILL for, btw), it felt a little ungrateful to bitch about not getting the surgery when she didn't hold up her end of the bargain.

I would be in that pool everyday doing laps, water walking, water running, water aerobics.

I too had my fill of Alyssa .. still in grief mode for 12 years.

Getting a free trip to Whistler.

Having a temper tantrum because you couldn't meet the requirements at the 9 month mark or the 12 month mark when you are only less than 20 pounds away. When you have the support staff and products on hand to help.

No not feeling the love for Alyssa.
    sunshine3331 likes this.

One good thing about this season is the fact that the show is touching more on some nutrition. I did appreciate that in Alyssa's episode and I like that the show is touching on the fact that there are underlying emotional issues as to why participants are fat and if those issues are not addressed the participants will have problems losing the weight and maintaining the loss.

+ Reply to Thread