+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I had a hard time liking Jami. Her initial comment about her adoptive mom "being a person who didn't want to be a better person" stuck me as so judgmental and mean. Your adoptive mom is not who you want her to be so you don't like her. You dismiss the fact that she adopted you, fed you, sheltered you and because she couldn't love you the way you wanted you dismiss her from your life and act as if the only person who loves you has worth in your eyes is your biological mom. Jami has a skewed sense of worth.
    I was pretty appalled at her treatment of her adoptive mom, and it didn't get much better, I thought...she was still pretty cold toward her at the end. It just struck me as very immature.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    I was pretty appalled at her treatment of her adoptive mom, and it didn't get much better, I thought...she was still pretty cold toward her at the end. It just struck me as very immature.
    Her adoptive mother told Jami that she adopted her so she'd have someone to take care of her in her old age. IMO, Jami has reason to not feel warmly toward her.
    Photobabe likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Jami said in high school that her adopted mom said that she had adopted Jami so she'd have someone to take care of her in her old age. Slight difference. Still it is obvious that Jami does not like her adopted mom. I can see them having many arguments and Lin saying that out of frustration. I wasn't there I don't know but I give that a large grain of salt as who is so calculating that they would spend $20,000 to $30,000 of their own money and then raise a child for 15 yrs or so only to tell them that they only adopted them so they would have a caretaker.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Jami said in high school that her adopted mom said that she had adopted Jami so she'd have someone to take care of her in her old age. Slight difference. Still it is obvious that Jami does not like her adopted mom. I can see them having many arguments and Lin saying that out of frustration. I wasn't there I don't know but I give that a large grain of salt as who is so calculating that they would spend $20,000 to $30,000 of their own money and then raise a child for 15 yrs or so only to tell them that they only adopted them so they would have a caretaker.
    So slight that I fail to even see the difference. We both said nearly the exact same thing!

I'm not going to judge Jami re: her feelings towards her mother. It was obvious to me that her adoptive mother is not a warm person and, based on what little Jami said about their relationship, it's obvious that the problems are not new.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

What I would like to know is how Jami was able to support herself for one year without help from family and no job. Yes, she had a gift card form Walmart but that just covered food.

I am also not surprised she hurt herself especially if she was doing Crossfit as the don't necessary practice proper form doing their exercises.

I was confused by that, too. She said she was moving back to Mass., so I thought she'd live with her mom for free--but the implication was she was living alone. Then, later on, her mom said something that made me think they were living together. As I think we all agree, those two have a very complicated relationship. IMO, this show doesn't often shy away from complicated situations, but I feel this time they glossed things over for a tidier story.

I'm always surprised at how many contestants do NOT hurt themselves, given their weight. I'm glad Chris took things seriously and went to the doctor for advice. My one quibble with him is when he makes people work through what appear to be injuries that require rest.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    I was confused by that, too. She said she was moving back to Mass., so I thought she'd live with her mom for free--but the implication was she was living alone. Then, later on, her mom said something that made me think they were living together. As I think we all agree, those two have a very complicated relationship. IMO, this show doesn't often shy away from complicated situations, but I feel this time they glossed things over for a tidier story.

I'm always surprised at how many contestants do NOT hurt themselves, given their weight. I'm glad Chris took things seriously and went to the doctor for advice. My one quibble with him is when he makes people work through what appear to be injuries that require rest.
    You can still be active just not stress the area that was hurt. A good personal trainer can put together a program that does that. You can do a lot of core and upper body workout with a sprained ankle and knee. In fact any knee injury normally has you riding either a recumbent or upright bike as soon as possible. You can also do a lot of water walking and swimming and water aerobics and get a full body workout.

Bob Harper and other have remarked that overweight folks are a lot stronger then they look because they have been carrying extra weight for a long period of time and the body compensates by making itself stronger. Still I cringe at some of the exercise techniques I see when contestants are using the rowing machine, kettlebells and any kind of Crossfit program.

Jami Season 3 Episode 5

Jami 29 yrs old 56
    Phase Start Goal lbs Actual Total End
    Wt: to lose lbs lost lbs lost Wt:
    45 days 290 NA 39 39 253
    1: 3 months 253 80 74 74 218
    2: 6 months 218 NA 26 100 192
    3: 9 months 192 NA 15 115 177
    4: 12 months 177 NA 15 130 162

Jami said on air that she was not resting on her day off and later admitted to Chris she was only eating about 400 calories per day instead of the 1200 she was supposed to. Instead of giving her goal weights to achieve in each phase he gave her fitness goals to achieve in the hope she would keep from starving herself. This is why I put NA (not applicable) in the goal weight columns.

Very few female contestants end up with great looking legs, Jami's were fabulous. She also increased her muscle mass by 30%. You could really see it in her legs not her upper torso.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-14-2013 at 01:01 AM.

FORT Regular

Jami rubs me the wrong way. She seems very selfish and immature.

From quitting her RA job when there was only a short time before the end of the school year (I thought she "loved" her kids). She could've just as easily began her workout process at school til the end of the semester, then move on.

To how she treats to her adoptive mom. I can't for sure that adoptive mom is not warm, because the few times she is shown, she seems to try and talk to Jami, and all she does is roll her eyes and give her attitude. We've all had heated arguments with our parents and have said things to them and have received words from them that I'm sure both sides didn't mean, but said during the heated exchange.

I agree, I find it very hard to believe that someone would spend a lot of money on an adoption plus all the expenses to raise the child, just to have a caretaker later on in life.

It does seem that Jami was living with her adoptive mom. During the restaurant seen, her adoptive mom tells here its been good to have her back. That she's tried to like salmon since Jami keeps it at her (adoptive mom's) house.

July 23, 2013 - Trina

Trina's mother is a piece of work, I now totally understand why Trina feels worthless and unloved. Does this woman realize the hate mail she is going to get now that folks have seen how she treats her daughter on national TV? Well Trina's mom deserves it.

+ Reply to Thread