+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

I watched last night (recorded to watch later). I pretty much agree with everyone. I was disappointed she lost only 3lbs the last 3 months. It was due to poor eating and until she conquers that she'll not loose anymore. Also, working out that much is not realistic for people who work outside the home, have kids, and other commitments. When I was 140 and a size 6 I worked out hard for 1 hr a day....5-6 days a week. I tried doing more but it would cut into my sleep at night which isn't good either.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    I watched last night (recorded to watch later). I pretty much agree with everyone. I was disappointed she lost only 3lbs the last 3 months. It was due to poor eating and until she conquers that she'll not loose anymore. Also, working out that much is not realistic for people who work outside the home, have kids, and other commitments. When I was 140 and a size 6 I worked out hard for 1 hr a day....5-6 days a week. I tried doing more but it would cut into my sleep at night which isn't good either.
    You are right about that. At my best shape, I was around 129 pounds and worked out 2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week (weights and cardio) and I was EXHAUSTED. I had a very flexible job schedule too. I can't see me doing that now.

Since she was a school teacher I think it was pretty obvious that the show filmed the first 3 months at her home during the summer breaks. I am sure that Chris took into account her schedule after that and reduced the amount she needed to lose to 55lbs for the 2nd 3 month phase.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Just to clear things up a bit:

phase 1: month 1-3: 80lbs - at home 3 training sessions a day with Chris

phase 2: month 4-6: 50lbs - Greece trip

phase 3: month 7-9: 3lbs - meltdown and surgery

phase 4: month 10-12: 28lbs

I want to find a cut the fat off doctor.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Just to clear things up a bit:

phase 4: month 10-12: 28lbs
    Does anyone know how much weight she would have lost in the skin removal surgery? I'm guessing it would be most if not all of the 28 lbs.

FORT Newbie

I saw her on Entertainment Tonight and she is basically content to stay at her current weight "for a while". I think in her mind she is done losing weight.

I think the point of having them be at home for most of the show is so that people see that it is possible to lose that much weight without going to a weight loss facility/ranch/etc. to do it....and that it can be done without bariatric surgery.

I love Chris and thought his personality shined through just fine. When I saw him on that TLC special a few years ago (or whenever it aired), I thought he should have his own show. I think he's adorable and clearly knows how to get results.

I think one of the disadvantages of condensing a year into one episode is all of the things you DON'T get to see, which are probably the things people are talking about in this thread. I'm sure that Chris isn't just cutting them lose and only seeing them at the weigh-ins, but to show phone calls and emails, etc., well, there just isn't time in a 42 minute show, or however long the episode is without commercials.

161 lbs in a year is HUGE. Of course, she still had weight to lose, but I think she did a pretty great job in that year, even with only that 3 lb loss. I read somewhere that the goal was to have the participants lose about half of their body weight, which means Rachel would have been around 185. She did fall short of that, but she still did very well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by OneSillyGirl! View Post
    Does anyone know how much weight she would have lost in the skin removal surgery? I'm guessing it would be most if not all of the 28 lbs.
    Thinking about a 1 pound of skin for each arm and around 10lbs for the abdominal area maybe 15lb. So around 17lbs and the rest on her own. Still how much time did she spend recovering from surgery. I am sure she was not able to exercise for a month or so.

Chris's website:

Reshape The Nation Blog

+ Reply to Thread