+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

FORT Fogey

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    I liked Jonathan. He seemed to have had less of a slide in his second quarter, even though he didn't meet his goal.
    I also like Jonathan. He works hard to keep his house and support his family. I didn't see all of the show, but the part that I saw, I didn't see him whining. The typical subject of the show whines and complains soon after they begin their workout. Then Chris tells them that he gives up on helping them. Then the next day, the subject tells Chris that they will do what he tells them to do. Did Jonathan whine when he began to work out with Chris?

Was there an episode on Sunday? Between the Olympic Closing Ceremonies, Leverage, Falling Skies, The Great Escape and True Blood I must have forgot.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I intentionally didn't watch the episode. In the previews, the subject showed a picture of herself in a bathing suit when she was thin. I assumed there would be too much talk about her appearance, and not her health.

I watched it on my laptop the next day (she's my age and in my metro area, so I was very intrigued!). Believe me, they didn't have to focus on her appearance...she was not doing well with the extra weight. She seemed to have no energy and was babying an old knee injury. I think she was THE most recalcitrant participant yet. Chris actually took her back to his home and Arizona and sicced his wife on her. She's just like Chris except she doesn't nod her head sympathetically at the tales of woe.

This woman missed her goal three times! In the end, she just squeaked by for skin-removal surgery (after one year--not at the traditional 9-month weigh in). She still had weight to lose at the end, so it was not one of those get-skinny-at-all-costs type of episodes. I liked her, though. Her words about Chris at the end were very moving.

It was an inspiring episode. Chris really focused on the excuses we make--even excuses not to work out at full intensity when you are working out (that's my big one! I can get on the bike, but I don't really want to pedal hard or anything!). Hope others see it.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I intentionally didn't watch the episode. In the previews, the subject showed a picture of herself in a bathing suit when she was thin. I assumed there would be too much talk about her appearance, and not her health.
    I don't think basing your opinion of the episode or the participant on a 30 second commercial is really the way to decide what a two hour show is about.

Liked her too, lizardcat. I thought it was realistic that she didn't make her goals. If every one of the participants hit every goal, it would make the whole process seem to easy and it's not. I liked that we got to see more of Heidi in this episode.

The thing I like about this show is that it addresses the things that contribute to weight gain that have nothing to do with food and exercise.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I saw a commercial last night saying that Sunday will be the Season Finale. Supposedly it will be "The biggest transformation yet!"
    I think that's like "The most dramatic rose ceremony ever".
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

The season finale? It seems like we've had more weeks off than on. I wish ABC were more invested in this show.

If the show just aired all 8 episodes the finale would have been aired before the Olympics had started. It was totally stupid to air any episodes against the Olympics and to have so much time off between episodes. You can't play games with a summer show with such few episodes.

I'm a big fan of this show, and even I forgot it was on half the time... I recall thinking last summer, as well, that ABC's scheduling was really poor.

+ Reply to Thread