+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I thought that as soon as Chris gave it to her. I'm glad a few other people had the same thought.
    You could just see it in their eyes - the envy and jealously....and then the thoughts of all that money. Those were not nice people. I was so happy for Ashley that she made steps to get away from them and out on her own. Maybe I rooted for her a little more because she looks an awful lot like a cousin of mine (she's very slender, their faces are very similar).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Not even done with last night's episode, but balling here. It's amazing to see how pain drives people to gain weight and how important is to resolve it.

Ashely just turned 20 and weight in at 320 pounds and is 180 pounds overweight. In other words she should be weighting at 140lbs.

To achieve her golas she will be put on a

1500 calorie a day diet
    low sugar
    low sodium
    weight train 3 times a week
    carido - 6 times a week for 2 to 4 hrs a day

If she follows the program she will use 3000 - 3500 calories a day resulting in a 1lb of fat loss a day.

Start Phase 1 Phase 2 Phase 3 Phase 4
    Name Weight Weight in Weight in Weight in Weight in
    Ashley 323 255 217 179 167

Name Weight Goal Weight Goal Weight Goal Weight Goal Weight
    Ashley 323 80 50 30 varies

Name Weight Real Weight Real Weight Real Weight Real Weight
    Ashley 323 68 38 38 23
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-16-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

July 1, 2012 - episode 3 - Mike

28 - 29 yrs old. Weights 493lbs. Needs to lose 245lbs. Goal weight 248lbs.

Weight Chart - Showing goals for each phase and what actual weight was lost.

Time Goal Actual Weight
    Start 248 N/A 493
    Phase 1 120 120 373
    Phase 2 70 56 317
    Phase 3 50 56 261
    Phase 4 N/A 23 238

Results:
    Phase 1 hit goal.
    Phase 2 missed goal by 14lbs - got a girlfriend
    Phase 3 exceeded goal by 6 lbs
    Phase 4 skin removal surgery
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.

To help support Mike his family pleged to lose 500lbs.

Name Goal Actual +/-
    Mark 50 79 +29
    Tonette 60 77 +17
    Carolyn 90 54 -36
    Carmen 50 30 -20
    Lucinda 50 47 -3
    Sharon 20 18 -2
    Komerly 50 47 -3
    Alan 20 21 +1
    Aimee 10 17 +7
    Ester 100 52 -48

Goal: 500
    Actual: 442
    Difference: 58
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Watched most of the Nyla episode which is number 5 and aired on July 15, 2012.

In one sense this episode is hard to watch because you, as a viewer, are very frustrated and angry at Nyla for not taking full advantage of this goldern opportunity.

Then on the other hand this episode is a perfect example that being extremely overweight is not simply a matter of will power and being lazy. This episode shows that many obsese people are that way because of deep emotional issuses and that they use food as a coping mechanism to hide their hurt and until that emotional issue is dealt with the struggle with losing weight is very difficult as we have seen during this episode.

What was interesting about Nyla's episode and it has been mentioned before that Chris and the show reimburse the participant up to $100 a week for groceries if the food they buy is the food they should be eating. Wow, how great is that. Nyla's tantrum over how expensive eating clean not processed food was rather fun to watch. I know when I go grocery shopping that processed stuff is expensive and can cost me more than fruits and veggies. Premade stuff costs more. Yes, shopping organic can be tricky. Buying veggies and fruits in season is very helpful. For me and I think for many others grocery shopping is a pain; I want to stay out of the store so I am not tempted by the wrong foods. I honestly think the food part of any diet/lifestyle change is much harder than the fitness component. Eating right is a major component to losing weight and maintaining it as Chris mentioned during the Phase 2 weight in. If Nyla had just stuck to the food plan she would have lost 48lbs on that alone just based on the math. I am glad that Nyla mentioned she does not drink, smoke or do drugs she does food and that is not an addiction that you can quit because you will die if you quit eating. That is why I think food addicition is one of the most difficult addictions.

Nyla is 27 yrs old.

Nyla weights 435lbs and is 300lbs overweight.

Her waist measures 54 inches.

Her thigh measures 37.5 inches.

Her food plan is:

1500 calories per day
    Low Sugar
    Controlled sodium
    5 meals per day
    portion control
    consisting of lean protiens, complex carbs and healthy fats
    all the veggies you can eat

She will be working out 6 days a week averaging 2 to 4 hours a day of cardio.

Weight Chart - Showing goals for each phase and what actual weight was lost.

Time Goal Wt lbs lost Weight total lbs lost
    Start 135 435 435 N/A
    Phase 1 100 74 361 74
    Phase 2 70 20 341 94
    Phase 3 200's 38 303 132
    Phase 4 N/A 25 278 157

Start weight 435lbs
    Over weight 300lbs
    Goal weight 135lbs

Phase 1 - Chris concerned that Nyla doesn't get the nutrition part of the process. She is sneak eating and sabotaging herself. Misses goal by 26lbs.
    Phase 2 - Nyla thinks eating clean is too expensive even with Chris reimbursing her $100 per week, starts to eat processed foods. Misses goal by 50lbs.
    Phase 3 - no goal given, just to get into the 200's. Almost reaches the 200's and weights in at 303lbs. Chris gives Nyla a package with her birth Dad's info. He died in 2010 at age 53. He committed suicide after his wife died. Nyla meets her father's side of the family and finds out that he always wanted to reconnect with her but was afraid he would be rejected. Nyla felt the same way. The reunion gives her some closure to her issue of abandonment.
    Phase 4 - Nyla is doing well until she has an issue with her back. Slipped disc pressing on the sciatica nerve. Bed rest for about 2 to 4 weeks and limited activity for the next 2 to 4 weeks. Chris is concerned that this setback may derail Nyla's progress.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-19-2012 at 11:42 PM.

I found this to be a very powerful episode. During the part where Nyla reconnected with her dad's family, I totally forgot I was watching a weight-loss show. TV trumps up so many "tearjerker" moments, but this one was for real.

Also real was the fact that Nyla had more work to do once the year was over. I LOVE that she's teaching a class--she has great moves and seems so happy when she's leading them.

She is a very complex, intelligent woman who had some serious strikes against her. I hope she continues to succeed.

+ Reply to Thread