+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

The online schedule at abc.com says that the Tony episode is re-airing tonight and the Jacqui episode is re-airing on Tuesday....anyone know what's going on with this show?

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    The online schedule at abc.com says that the Tony episode is re-airing tonight and the Jacqui episode is re-airing on Tuesday....anyone know what's going on with this show?
    The next new episode with the Greek boy won't be on until July 1st. I think it was the NBA finals that did it.Why compete with that if you don't have too.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

New episode on tonight, that would be number 3 out of the season 2 8 episode run.

FORT Fogey

Mike wants a hot girlfriend, and he wants to be a model. He's shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Mike wants a hot girlfriend, and he wants to be a model. He's shallow.
    Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

I'm not surprised at all that his relationship didn't last, not because she's not hot, but because she didn't appear to be interested in being active. I know that if I was dating a guy who was in the midst of a weight loss plan like Mike's and I was overweight too, I would have joined right in with him. I mean, look how much his family did and, yet, his girlfriend didn't join in with them. Plus, how many relationships with the FIRST person you ever date actually last?

ABC has the follow-up video on their site. Mike gained back quite a bit of his weight (they didn't say how much) and, in an effort to get back on track, he packed up and moved to Arizona. He's been training with Chris and his wife Heidi, who actually works as a trainer behind-the-scenes on the show. They showed him working out with them and then competing in a triathlon. He'd lost about 40 lbs of the weight he'd gained back.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

I'm not surprised at all that his relationship didn't last, not because she's not hot, but because she didn't appear to be interested in being active. I know that if I was dating a guy who was in the midst of a weight loss plan like Mike's and I was overweight too, I would have joined right in with him. I mean, look how much his family did and, yet, his girlfriend didn't join in with them. Plus, how many relationships with the FIRST person you ever date actually last?

ABC has the follow-up video on their site. Mike gained back quite a bit of his weight (they didn't say how much) and, in an effort to get back on track, he packed up and moved to Arizona. He's been training with Chris and his wife Heidi, who actually works as a trainer behind-the-scenes on the show. They showed him working out with them and then competing in a triathlon. He'd lost about 40 lbs of the weight he'd gained back.
    Hell, yes I would join in and learn the workouts and the food planning and food prep.

Do you notice that just because the main person is ready to change that their friends, boy/girlfriends and family can be the biggest obstacles to overcome.

I agree about the girlfriend. I was really surprised that she hadn't lost any weight at the final weigh-in. She was obviously happy for/proud of him but she needed to take it a step further and join him in the weight loss.

I didn't see the follow up video but I'm sad to hear that he gained a good amount of weight back, I hope he's able to refocus and lose it again. I really liked him.

I think he'll be okay to lose the weight again. They didn't say how much he'd gained back, but he'd lost 40 and it still looked like he had a ways to go - at least 60, I'd guess. It just points out that you never do really cross the finish line when you battle obesity. It's a constant fight. Mike seemed very determined and I think his proximity to Chris and Heidi will help immensely.

Bearcata - absolutely. When the family and friends aren't supportive, it's so much harder. I remember Matt from BL (the wrestler who won) getting so much crap and teasing - mean-spirited teasing - when he went back home. I was happy that he moved away from that environment to be with Susie. He would have gained all of his weight back and probably started drinking again if he'd stayed there.

If I was dating someone who was going through this show, I'd totally join in, even if I wasn't overweight. When you love someone, you do what you can to support them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Saw the rerun last night (we lost power for three days--in the middle of a heat wave--due to storms in the Mid-Atlantic). I liked Mike; he had a pretty good personality. Chris was more relaxed around him, too. I was disappointed that Megan didn't join him in his quest, particularly since his family was involved. You'd think she'd at least have taken walks with him. I wonder why, since she otherwise seemed so supportive? (Unlike Tony's girlfriend, who was practically against his losing weight.)

I suspected he might regain the weight, so I'm glad he's gotten himself back on track. I admire Chris and Heidi for sticking with these contestants past the episode.

I'm not surprised that Mike gained a lot of his weight back, although I'm glad he's working to get back on track.

Some of the contestants (for lack of a better word) come out of this with an attitude that they're "recovering" obese people, & need to keep up the program as a new lifestyle. This is the most likely attitude to succeed longterm.
    Mike seemed to have the attitude that his problem was "fixed". This attitude is almost always doomed to fail longterm. The problem isn't fixed, they've just learned how to control it. If they don't continue to live their new lifestyle they will regress.

It's like this with every diet out there. Dieting & exercising takes off the pounds & inches. Stopping the diet causes regression. The only way to keep it off is to keep up the new eating/exercising life. If not, it always comes back.

I hope Mike learns this. He seemed to enjoy his time on the program. With modification to tone down the intenseness, he should use it to maintain.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread