+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight loss

I enjoyed it and was thrilled to see Chris Powell on TV again! He was on a TLC special a few years back helping an morbidly obese man lose 400 lbs and he was also on an episode of Oprah's show. The TLC show was really good and he and the man he helped, David Smith, became best friends and, I think, roommates. I think Chris is a cutie pie! Here's a link to his bio on the official site: Chris Powell Bio - Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition - ABC.com

I thought it was a shame that Rachel's mother, in particular, wasn't very supportive at first, but that's pretty true to life, unfortunately. Her brother not eating the dessert because she couldn't was really sweet. I thought 161 lbs in a year was pretty darned great! I was worried when she lost 80 lbs in 3 months and was actually glad when her weight loss slowed down. Too much weight too quickly can be very bad as well.

I wish they had said how tall Rachel is. I know Chris is quite short, but she seemed like a very tall girl, although that might just be in relation to Chris! Knowing how tall she is would give some idea of what her ideal weight should be. Like with many of these weight loss shows, I hope there's a little "reunion" show at the end to give us updates is any of them has lost more weight.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Thanks all for the info on the trainer. Too bad he didn't shine through in this new series.

FORT Fogey

Keep in mind that we FF through a lot of the details on BL some are craving to see on this show. I trust that the trainer is doing his job and expects his client to keep up their end of it. It will take more shows to see this. Each person will be different. I like the pace.

Also on BL many of the contestants stay in touch with their trainers and nutritionist and various production assistants once they are voted off. Still there comes a point, after the finale I am thinking where that stops as the focus for the employees of the production company are the next batch of contestants. Still to have that kind of support for 6 months is awesome.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm going to give this show another chance, but I was disappointed in some of it.
    I liked the trainer.
    I liked the at-home-in-real-life-situation part of it. Hopefully she will have an easier time keeping the weight off because she didn't lose it in seclusion in an idealized situation.
    I didn't like the way the weight loss surgery was handled. They seemed to rush her into it. She had only lost 3 pounds in the last 3 months, when he expected her to lose 50 pounds more. But the attitude seemed to be: "Don't worry, we don't care. We'll lop in off anyway." They seemed more concerned with the big reveal in the end than her losing weight properly. That wasn't excess skin she had removed, she was still very overweight at 236lbs. That was basically lopping off weight instead of diet/exercise.
    Also, although she looked great at the end, at 208lbs she could still stand to lose 50lbs unless she's over 6 feet tall. With surgery in the proper places they can make anyone look slim.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm going to give this show another chance, but I was disappointed in some of it.
    I liked the trainer.
    I liked the at-home-in-real-life-situation part of it. Hopefully she will have an easier time keeping the weight off because she didn't lose it in seclusion in an idealized situation.
    I didn't like the way the weight loss surgery was handled. They seemed to rush her into it. She had only lost 3 pounds in the last 3 months, when he expected her to lose 50 pounds more. But the attitude seemed to be: "Don't worry, we don't care. We'll lop in off anyway." They seemed more concerned with the big reveal in the end than her losing weight properly. That wasn't excess skin she had removed, she was still very overweight at 236lbs. That was basically lopping off weight instead of diet/exercise.
    Also, although she looked great at the end, at 208lbs she could still stand to lose 50lbs unless she's over 6 feet tall. With surgery in the proper places they can make anyone look slim.
    Rachel kept saying she was 220lbs overweight and at 369 - 220 that is 149lbs which is 59lbs short of the final weight of 208lbs. It's pretty obvious that Chris wanted her to lose 220lbs in one year. 80lbs the first 3 months. 55lbs the second 3 months and 65lbs in the last 6 months.

FORT Newbie

According to her bio, she is 6' tall. At 208 lbs, her BMI is 28.2 (overweight).

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight loss

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Yeah, that bothered me too. This girl successfully lost 130lbs in 6 months and then its as if she lost all motivation. Big point is that she did show that working out without the doing the nutrition part of the program won't help you lose the weight.

I did find it very hard to understand that no one helped her in the third phase where she only lost 3 pounds. I thought it was very nice that she got the surgery but couldn't they have waited how is she going to work out with incisions in her stomach and both arms. Also she only lost 28lbs the last phase or month 9 - 12. A good portion of that could have been the stomach skin and arm skin that they took off. Shouldn't you wait until all the weight is off before removing the skin? It's like she rewarded for doing nothing the last 6 months of this program.

While I am glad the mom lost 50lbs. Where was it I didn't see it.
    Bearcata, I'm so agreeing with you!
    The "3 pounds" she lost toward the end was hugely disappointing. She probably gained quite a bit and then cut back to get back down near what the previous weigh in was. They pretty much rewarded her for not meeting the goals more than once. The final reward was the surgery which I do not think she should have had until she was MUCH closer to goal. And if Mom lost 50#, I surely could not tell.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree, the best part of this show was the "fast forward' aspect. Also seeing what proportion of the weight he expected her to use in each 1/4 of the year.
    On the plus side, as she said,she was now MUCH more athletic and healthy than before...could actually run, etc. So even if not at the right weight yet is actually able to move and exercise.

I saw Rachel's interview on Good Morning America online. It's a bit confusing because she looks trimmer. She was asked how much weight she had lost and said at her highest 191lbs but 161lbs in one year. Confusing answer. But it implies that she continued losing weight after the finale and got down another 30lbs so would weight in at 178lbs. Yes, she looked trimmer but still looked as if she could lose another 20. Over all the interview was confusing and actually caused confusion not clarification.

+ Reply to Thread