+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Yeah, the dress was a mess. From the back as she is going out it is digging into all the rolls still left... One size bigger and it might have looked great, but it looked like she was squeezed into a sausage skin. She'd lost SO much weight and all it did was emphasize what she had left to lose. I know they wanted to show she still had her booty, but surely they could have made a better choice.
    It's like what I say when I say women in clothing that is clearly MUCH too small for them: Just because you can zip it up, doesn't mean it fits!

I think the problem that many of us are having with the show, ie the skin removal surgery sinking the participants' weight loss during the last 3 months, is a result of the "Extreme Makeover" thing. That whole concept - with the plastic surgery, house remodel and now weight loss is all about the big reveal. ITA that every one of the participants should have lost weight for the full year and THEN had the skin removal surgery if they qualified. That doesn't make for as good a story on TV though (in the eyes of the producers).

I wonder if some of the people who still had much more weight to lose after the year will end up having to go through another skin removal procedure if they get to their goal weight.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's like what I say when I say women in clothing that is clearly MUCH too small for them: Just because you can zip it up, doesn't mean it fits!

I think the problem that many of us are having with the show, ie the skin removal surgery sinking the participants' weight loss during the last 3 months, is a result of the "Extreme Makeover" thing. That whole concept - with the plastic surgery, house remodel and now weight loss is all about the big reveal. ITA that every one of the participants should have lost weight for the full year and THEN had the skin removal surgery if they qualified. That doesn't make for as good a story on TV though (in the eyes of the producers).

I wonder if some of the people who still had much more weight to lose after the year will end up having to go through another skin removal procedure if they get to their goal weight
    Thank you, Critical, for pointing that out, I was thinking the exact same thing.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

And I bet ABC won't be paying for that surgery.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

DH's ex-wife has always maintained that she is a size 14. Trrrrrrrrrrrrrust me, I spent years as a size 16 and that woman is a size 22 if I'm being both conservative and generous. Her wardrobe emphasizes the rolls that her rolls have and every top looks like two puppies tusslin' under a rug! As Critical says, just because you can zip it up does not mean it fits!

I do wish LaRhonda well. I think she has what it takes to succeed and I sincerely hope she does

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

New episode on July 11, 2011. Only 3 episodes left.

July 11, 2011 - episode 6: Wally

Finally an episode that addresses food addiction and how gripping it is. Still having a message to contact Overeaters Anonymous at the end of the show was not enough.

Wally is 26 yrs old and weights 490lbs. First person to be near Chris's height.

Phase 1: goal 110lbs actual weight lost: 110lbs current weight: 380lbs and a trip to Disney.
    Phase 2: goal 70lbs actual weight lost: 21lbs current weight: 359lbs
    Phase 3: didn't hear it or nothing was said. Chris receives an email from Wally that concerns him enough to fly to Chicago for an intervention of sorts. Wally weights in at 418lbs. He has gained 59lbs in 3 months. Chris asks Wally if he is ready for rehab because Chris can't help him anymore. Wally agrees to rehab and the show ends.

This was a very sad episode and hard to watch. But I am glad that the subject of food addiction came up because I truly believe it is one of the hardest addictions to quit because if you are a drug addict, smoker or alcoholic the substances you are abusing you never need to ever have in your life again because you do not need them to live. But you have to eat to live.

ABC renews, renames its obesity reality series Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition + reality blurred

ABC has changed the name of its upcoming weight loss series Obese to Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, which has already been renewed for a second season. The name change connects the show to the network’s other feel-good makeover series, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and to the original, now-cancelled version that gave people plastic surgery.

Each episode of the midseason show follows one individual for a year as he or she loses weight. Producers “have already cast the second season of ‘Weight Loss Edition’ and will start production on that cycle (targeted for 2011-2012) shortly. 3Ball also continues to finish shooting and editing season one, which is set to air sometime in midseason, perhaps around March,” Variety reports. Executive producer JD Roth told the paper, “It’s always a good sign to get a second season of a show order before the first even airs.”

The show is produced by 3Ball Productions, which also produces The Biggest Loser for NBC.
    From the lack of posts for this show I am surprised that ABC has ordered a second season before the first season has aired. If they do air a second season I hope one episode is a what happened to the season 1 participants.

More 'Obese' on the weigh - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety

More 'Obese' on the weigh
    2nd season already for upcoming ABC skein
    By Michael Schneider
    JD Roth

Roth
    Todd A. Nelson

Nelson
    ABC's upcoming reality series "Obese" has already been given a second-season order -- and a super-sized title to boot.

Now known as "Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition," the reality docuseries has an order for six more one-hour episodes from the Alphabet.

Producers 3Ball Prods. have already cast the second season of "Weight Loss Edition" and will start production on that cycle (targeted for 2011-2012) shortly. 3Ball also continues to finish shooting and editing season one, which is set to air sometime in midseason, perhaps around March.

"It's always a good sign to get a second season of a show order before the first even airs," said 3Ball's JD Roth, who serves as exec producer with Todd A. Nelson.

The early pickup was necessary for the producers given "Weight Loss Edition's" extensive shooting schedule. Show follows morbidly obese individuals through a year of their life as they work to lose at least half of their body weight.

Trainer Chris Powell (TLC doc "The 650-Pound Virgin") serves as their coach, moving into their homes with their families.

Each episode tells the entire yearlong story of one participant.

"It's a unique way to tell a story," Roth said. "No show has ever attempted to tell a 365-day story in 44 minutes," Roth said.

Excuse me, A&E's Heavy showed 2 people per 1 hour episode and did it very well. Also, MTV's I Used To Be Fat also used a 1 hour format.

Roth added that the producers have been forced to cut so much compelling footage in order to produce these hour-long segs that they're pitching ABC on expanding some episodes to two hours (3Ball's "The Biggest Loser" now airs two hours weekly, he notes.)
    No, HELL NO, to a 2 hour format. Can't stand it on the Biggest Loser. Won't stand for it here.

The producer said he's also considering pitching the Alphabet on taking the extra footage and turning it into a stripped daytime series, perhaps to air on one of its sister cable nets.

As for the name change, idea came from ABC -- but Roth embraced it, given the strong awareness among viewers for the "Extreme Makeover" brand. Although the original "Extreme Makeover" no longer airs, ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" continues as a Sunday night franchise.

"To be part of such a successful franchise name is great," Roth said. "It adds credibility to what we've done. It also makes it easier to promote the show and get sampling."

Roth said he's pleased with the results on "Weight Loss Edition" so far. One participant lost 155 pounds in 90 days, while several women have lost at least 100 pounds int hat same time frame.

"What's amazing is all their lives these people have been unsuccessful in multiple areas," he said. "The fact that you can give somebody a little bit of help and believe that they can do it, then they can."

Besides "The Biggest Loser," 3Ball's other credits include Fox's "Masterchef," which just wrapped season one, and E!'s "What's Eating You."
    That might be interesting to watch.

I found this week's episode really sad and just very upsetting. I don't think any of the previous show participants have displayed that level of food addiction. To hear him talk about eating until he was sick and his jaw hurt and then still eating more was heartbreaking. Clearly, there's something else going on there. I'm glad they got him some help, because it's obvious that he can lose the weight, he just needs to work on the mental stuff.....even more than the others we've seen on this show.

ETA: If the name change for the show means they will focus less on that big reveal at the end and more on helping people bring about real change, then I'm all for it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I saw the Wally episode last night and I think it might just be my last time watching the show. I think (for the most part) Chris has his heart in the right place, but once they got to Orlando and attempted a 100 mile bike ride in 115+ degree heat, I really became suspicious of his/the show's motive for drama. Where I live, we've had heat index days of over 100 degrees for the better part of six weeks and there are warnings nearly daily for people with health issues to take precautions outside. It's just plain risky for a morbidly obese man to be out in that much heat for that long exercising. Plus, he's from Chicago, where it may get hot, but not normally 115+ hot on a regular basis. I was there in 2007 when they called the marathon off after 3.5 hours because it was 88 degrees and it's a fact your body temperature rises as you exercise. Chris had to know Wally would never make it. Then, when it took a suicidal e-mail to alert Chris that there might be some food addiction issues--rather than picking up on that and treating it vigorously when he found out that Wally had been lying to him back in Orlando--it just felt like either Chris was clueless or going for the drama. I want to think the best of Chris since he apparently has helped a lot of people, but the edit of the show is not helping. And the lack of follow-up is really disheartening.

+ Reply to Thread