+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

'Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition': Is NBC's 'Loss' ABC's 'Biggest' Gain? - The Hollywood Reporter

Rejected reality contenders are put to the test in TV's newest diet and fitness challenge series.

ABC officially enters the weight-loss genre this week with its new reality series Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition.
    our editor recommends
    Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Fans of NBC's The Biggest Loser will be happy to know that the new show is from the same producers at 3 Ball Prods. But for those looking for something a bit different, 3 Ball CEOs J.D. Roth and Todd Nelson insist that this is a new take on weight loss.

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

For starters, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition features participants who were actually rejected from Biggest Loser for weighing too much.

"Everything comes from an authentic place for us," Roth told The Hollywood Reporter. "So, you know, when you send a contestant home that's too fat to be on The Biggest Loser. It came out of passion. I can't do it. I can't send these people home to die. They're going to die. It's wrong. We got to do something for these people."

And that's where the idea for Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition was born.

"[We thought], well, let's create a show for them," Roth added. "That comes from an honest place. When things come from an honest place, something good usually happens."

The show, which premiered Monday night, features eight people -- including a former football player weighing 651 pounds -- who work with personal trainer Chris Powell to lose weight and get healthy. The reason they were rejected from Biggest Loser is because that show's workout regimen is believed to be too intense people at that kind of weight level.

Also unlike Biggest Loser, each episode focuses on a different participant as he or she works to lose weight and takes place over the course of an entire year.

It's not the first time 3 Ball has created a show around Biggest Loser rejects: The idea for the company's MTV series I Used to Be Fat was sparked by applicants who were too young to be on the NBC show.

Meanwhile, it seems that ABC has a lot of confidence in Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition: The network picked it up for a second season several months before launching the first.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    June 27, 2011 - episode 5 LaRhonda - 433lbs

phase 1 goal - 100lbs - actual wt lost - 100lbs
    phase 2 goal - 60lbs - actual wt lost - 60lbs
    phase 3 goal - 23lbs - actual wt lost - 36lbs
    phase 4 goal - none given - actual wt lost - 6lbs

start wt: 433lbs
    phase 1: 333lbs
    phase 2: 273lbs
    phase 3: 237lbs
    phase 4: 231bs

total lost: 202lbs
    As noted by several above posters I got the current weight and the weight lost backward. I do think that is the most confusing part of the show, partly the way the frame is cropped you cannot see the if the weight shown is the current weight, the weight lost, or a number they are teasing the audience with. I watched the ending several times and still got it messed up and checked again a little while ago and I had it backwards. But I was able to correct my stats post.

Again I think it's inaccurate to claim this show is a one year weight loss journey, it is how much can you lose in 9 months and get surgery show. Still if LaRhonda had followed the food program she could have lost some more weight. Still overall compared to the 4 previous contestants/participants she is the first person to hit the phase 1, 2 and 3 goals. None of the others have.

As a bit of a sidebar: who picked out that dress, was it to show her curves off, cause it sure didn't her thighs any favors.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 06-28-2011 at 10:40 PM.

FORT Fogey

I really like this show.... as I have also liked "heavy" on A and E. It's just the person working through their struggle. BL is more strategy and game-playing... and not always about the individual. Anyhow, I just wish we were told what they do for exercise each day (eg. 1 hour cardio, core and strength training, 2 hour cardio, etc). Do they do all 5 hours in a row, or do they split the exercise into sessions throughout the day? LaRhonda said it was "5 hours a day, 6 days a week" yikes! Anyhow... love the trainer Chris (he has such happy eyes!) and he seems to really care about his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl70 View Post
    I really like this show.... as I have also liked "heavy" on A and E. It's just the person working through their struggle. BL is more strategy and game-playing... and not always about the individual. Anyhow, I just wish we were told what they do for exercise each day (eg. 1 hour cardio, core and strength training, 2 hour cardio, etc). Do they do all 5 hours in a row, or do they split the exercise into sessions throughout the day? LaRhonda said it was "5 hours a day, 6 days a week" yikes! Anyhow... love the trainer Chris (he has such happy eyes!) and he seems to really care about his subjects.
    They must cause James said he was doing 2 hours of cardio in the morning and then 2 hours of cardio in the evening. Even on BL they divided up the workouts cause rest is very important. Cardio before breakfast, morning workout, lunch, afternoon workout, dinner, after dinner cardio.

Only 3 episodes left:

episode 6: Wally - 7/11/11

episode 7: Staci - 7/18/11

episode 8: Krista - 7/25/11

FORT Fogey

The main thing I don't like about this show is the skin removal surgery.

In LaRhonda's case, I think she had potential to drop 20-30 more pounds before her final weigh-in. She seemed to really have it together.

To have that kind of surgery when you have "just" lost the weight seems risky because of the gain potental.

And given LaRhonda's height (guessing about 5'6"-5'8") she probably has another 50-60 lbs (maybe more) to go, I would have loved to have seen what she could do because the show is sending the message that surgery is a weight loss options. When in fact she only lost 6 lbs. Recovery from that kind of surgery is a beast.

As someone posted earlier, the skin on her arms was still very loose. And if she loses and 40-50-60 lbs, I think the surgery could have waited.

And I understand it must be difficult to run with the loose skin, but thats why lycra was invented. There are all kinds of compression suits made that can minimize the jiggle.

Quote Originally Posted by alizarules View Post
    The main thing I don't like about this show is the skin removal surgery.

In LaRhonda's case, I think she had potential to drop 20-30 more pounds before her final weigh-in. She seemed to really have it together.

To have that kind of surgery when you have "just" lost the weight seems risky because of the gain potental.

And given LaRhonda's height (guessing about 5'6"-5'8") she probably has another 50-60 lbs (maybe more) to go, I would have loved to have seen what she could do because the show is sending the message that surgery is a weight loss options. When in fact she only lost 6 lbs. Recovery from that kind of surgery is a beast.

As someone posted earlier, the skin on her arms was still very loose. And if she loses and 40-50-60 lbs, I think the surgery could have waited.

And I understand it must be difficult to run with the loose skin, but thats why lycra was invented. There are all kinds of compression suits made that can minimize the jiggle.
    I totally agree with everything you said, LaRhonda was on a roll and yes, had the potential to lose 30 to 50 more pounds in the phase 4. I would have loved to have seen that and then the skin removal surgery, because by that time she would have had to have some done to her legs also. I feel as if the show is misleading in its implication of it being a 1 year weight loss journey. This really is my main pet peeve of the show.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I just watched the episode with LaRhonda last night. Girl had it goin on!!!... until... until the finale where she showed up in that most hideous of dresses! There are tons of other choices to show off her curves without putting those enormous thighs on display. The dress itself was such a poor choice and looked like it wasn't on her straight... as if it was turned/twisted to her left (the right side of our screen).

I definitely applaud LaRhonda's resolve and her 3 D's (Dedication, Disciple and Desire) because she dropped almost half of her body weight in a year! She does, however, have quite a way to go though I think she has the potential to get there. I found it interesting they have to quit their job and let their weight loss journey BE their job for the year. When I think about how much exercise they do (5hrs / day, 6 days / week) it is beyond unreasonable for the average person.

All my nay-saying and negativity aside, LaRhonda did a fantastic job and is looking great!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah, the dress was a mess. From the back as she is going out it is digging into all the rolls still left... One size bigger and it might have looked great, but it looked like she was squeezed into a sausage skin. She'd lost SO much weight and all it did was emphasize what she had left to lose. I know they wanted to show she still had her booty, but surely they could have made a better choice.

That dress was a bit asymmetrical on top but it was a size or two too small for her and did not flatter her figure at all and yes, all it did was show off her sausage thighs.

Remember ladies skin tight clothes are not your friend.

+ Reply to Thread