+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition (ABC)

FORT Fogey

Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Years ago, I lost about 40 lbs (which I, of course, regained and am now in the process of losing again) and one of the women I worked with asked me how I did it. I told her that I ate less and exercised. She didn't like that answer. She was always looking for the magic pill, diet supplement, etc., so eating less and exercising was not what she wanted to do.

Losing weight is hard. If it was, easy, more people would be thin. I actually like that the people on this show are struggling. It's more realistic than if they all hit their goals every time.
    I too have lost 40 lbs and have kept 35 off for a year and a half. and people look disappointed when I said I changed my diet and exercise regularly. But a key is that I, though not as thorough, stiil keep a journal of what I eat and when I exercise. And I went to therapy for most of that time.

I know keeping a food journal is extremely important, but I also like how experts always say that it takes two weeks to learn a new habit. Well, I quit eating ice cream two years ago and it was really easy to start it up again this summer. I also ty to do some form of cardio 3 or 4 times a week and have been doing so for a very long time. Thing is anything can derail that habit and it can take me up to 2 weeks to get back to it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Tonight's episode was really good. I'll admit, James had such a stubborn streak, I didn't think he'd last - he was pretty resistant. And the hernia had me worried! I always thought he was pretty good looking too, and seeing him at the finale - at the Super Bowl where my Packers won, was really thrilling. Good for him! At the end, when he said he wanted to help others out, I almost got teary-eyed!

I did watch the first weight it and thought it sad that even with losing 150lbs in 3 months James still looks huge as if that 150lbs hardly made a dent.

I am glad that Chris did mention that James was on a 2,000 calorie food plan and that since he normally eats around 6,000 calories that super obese people can lose remarkable amounts of weight in the first 90 day of a program. That explains why Chris wants to take total advantage of that fact.

I finally watched it last night and think out of all of the contestants so far James is the one who will keep this up. He still needs to loose at least 100lbs and hope he does it!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

James, in terms of personality, seemed like such an angry man... or maybe that's a bad choice of words perhaps it's resentful or something. I dunno, it just came off as if he had a huge chip on his shoulder and I never could understand what was going on with that. He's got a long road ahead of him. I hope he continues to lose and is able to have the hernia surgery.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    James, in terms of personality, seemed like such an angry man... or maybe that's a bad choice of words perhaps it's resentful or something. I dunno, it just came off as if he had a huge chip on his shoulder and I never could understand what was going on with that. He's got a long road ahead of him. I hope he continues to lose and is able to have the hernia surgery.
    Marlena_M, I agree with you. While James is charming, speaks well, can put together a great sound bite and the camera does love him, I find that I do not like him. Why, because at age 27 he can't take criticism and responds by getting combative and potentially violent. Enough so that during the second phase weight in Chris was afraid to get angry at James and read him the riot act because Chris was afraid that James would hit him. Can you imagine James in a relationship and asked to take out the garbage and he didn't feel like it. I can see him yelling and screaming at his girlfriend and hitting her. I can see James in a bar and going off on someone, very easily. I can see because he is such a big, physical guy going postal on his co-workers because he can't take criticism. It's like he never learned any coping skills. Was he so pampered as an athletic and everything given to him and every bad behavior forgiven because of his status as an athlete? I don't know if Michael Irwin did him any favors by telling James that he was "robbed" of a career in football, I can see James developing a sense of entitlement because of that statement, becoming a bad drunk because of that statement. James is an all or nothing type of guy, as his second phase behavior shows us. We all have to learn to compromise and James will not be happy unless he learns that skill set.

4th episode, halfway done with the series.

James

Had been 720 is currently 651.

Start: 651 goal lose 150lbs in phase one.
    1st goal: 150lbs.
    1st weight in: 497 lost 154lbs exceeded goal by 4lbs.

2nd goal: 80lbs.
    2nd weight in: 486 lost 11lbs short of goal by 69lbs.

3rd goal: 90lbs.
    3rd weight in: 394lbs lost 92lbs exceeded goal by 2lbs.

4th goal: none given. Was there one?
    4th weight in: 338lbs lost 56lbs.

Total lost 313lbs.

Needs to get under 300lbs before he can get hernia surgery.

I was sitting across the room at my desk watching (long livingroom) & at the end there were 2 sets of small print shown, I think as kind of a follow up/epilogue. I wasn't close enough to read it.
    Did anyone else catch that? If so, what did it say?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I was sitting across the room at my desk watching (long livingroom) & at the end there were 2 sets of small print shown, I think as kind of a follow up/epilogue. I wasn't close enough to read it.
    Did anyone else catch that? If so, what did it say?
    The second of the two was about how he hopes to get under 300 pounds so he can qualify for the hernia surgery.

The first... I'm not sure of this... but I think it had to do with him paying it forward in some way. But I'm honestly not sure. Someone will chime in!!!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

+ Reply to Thread