+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 425
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

  1. #51
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,571

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Rarely.... rarely... does a quick fix approach to weight loss work in the long-term. You don't suddenly blow up overnight and become obese... it takes years of eating wrong and being inactive. You don't lose it overnight either. Significant, long-term, weight loss is 75% diet and 25% exercise. Most anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off will tell you it's easier to lose the weight and oh-so-hard to maintain the loss!
    I think for anybody getting off the first 10, 15, 20 lbs is very encouraging especially if you have an incredible large amount of weigh to get off. Rachel was 220lbs overweight. I think she has some underlying self esteem issues. Those do need to be addressed else she will regain the weight. However, if a person is willing to dedicate a year of their life to making a radical lifestyle change and they are rewarded by a huge loss of weight well good. The reason there is such rapid weight loss in a morbidly obese or super obese person is they are finally eating the normal amount of calories they should (1,500 - 2,000) instead of the 3,000 - 6,000 calories they are normally consuming add exercise (which burns calories) to the mix of course you are going to have dramatic results. The real work comes after the first month or two of dramatic results where you reach a balance and your body is only dropping 3 or 4lbs a week. I don't consider what Rachel did a quick fix. She did it for 1 year. She was most successful the first 6 months of the program because she successful did the exercise and food program. If nothing else she stuck to the exercise program for the second 6 months and found out the hard way you can't play around too much with the food program else you sabotage your weight loss journey. Still for a young girl of 21, I call her a girl because I don't think she can stand on her own two feet yet and lacks a degree of maturity. But while I wanted to see much better results from her after watching Heavy, and Biggest Loser and Celebrity Fit Club we all have are demons to fight while losing the weight. At least it looks like Rachel is maintaining her weight loss and now is losing a bit more at a much slower pace.

    I think the reason I was rather negative toward Rachel is that she did so well the first 6 months and then basically gave up on part of the program for the last 6 months. I think that these types of shows are beacons of hope to those of us who wish it was us on the screen, sweating it off and eating right and when Rachel failed it's like we failed, like I failed and we/I are going to strike out at the person who made us fail and in this case that person is Rachel. What a burden to bear but that is the position she is in. Also the fact that she is given a personnel trainer for 3 months who works out with her 3 times a day and helps her with her food. Who is given their own personal gym. If she is given all that free help and a trip to Greece and free skin removal surgery. When she fails after being given all that how can those of us who don't have all those advantages possibly succeed. By failing Rachel has taken away our "Beacon of Hope" and we will punish her for it. In my case by writing snarky posts.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  2. #52
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,353

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    It's all that lose flapping skin rubbing raw and bleeding possibly leading to sepsis or fungal skin infections that could qualify excess skin removal as a medical necessity.
    I do know a woman who had gastric bypass surgery (it is paid for by Canada's healthcare program if you are "morbidly obese", which translates into being 100 lbs or more overweight - you only get it once, though, no do-overs if you regain the weight). She was able to receive a tummy tuck and breast reconstruction through the government plan, as that was considered medically necessary, for those reasons mentioned above. However, she did have to pay out of pocket to have the excess skin on her arms removed. That was considered cosmetic.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  3. #53
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,284

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I do know a woman who had gastric bypass surgery (it is paid for by Canada's healthcare program if you are "morbidly obese", which translates into being 100 lbs or more overweight - you only get it once, though, no do-overs if you regain the weight). She was able to receive a tummy tuck and breast reconstruction through the government plan, as that was considered medically necessary, for those reasons mentioned above. However, she did have to pay out of pocket to have the excess skin on her arms removed. That was considered cosmetic.
    How much weight did your friend lose?

  4. #54
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Also the fact that she is given a personnel trainer for 3 months who works out with her 3 times a day and helps her with her food. Who is given their own personal gym. If she is given all that free help and a trip to Greece and free skin removal surgery. When she fails after being given all that how can those of us who don't have all those advantages possibly succeed. By failing Rachel has taken away our "Beacon of Hope" and we will punish her for it. In my case by writing snarky posts.

    Yes, this is what it boils down to. I like reading snarky posts.

  5. #55
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    As bariatric surgery gains acceptance, it is becoming increasingly common for insurance to cover the procedure.
    Insurance for Weight Loss Surgery - A Complete Consumer Guide

  6. #56
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,571

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by OneSillyGirl! View Post
    As bariatric surgery gains acceptance, it is becoming increasingly common for insurance to cover the procedure.
    Insurance for Weight Loss Surgery - A Complete Consumer Guide
    The problem with the surgery is people are looking at it as a quick fix. The main hospital in my area that offers gastric bypass surgery requires that you also see a therapist to see if there are underlying issues, that you attend nutrition classes and exercise classes. The idea is for the patient is to embrace a complete lifestyle change. But lets face it that is not what people want they want to shed the weight and get on with their lives with no changes and that results in what? The same results. I think there were at least two contestants on Biggest Loser that had GB surgery lost the weight and gained it all back.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #57
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,823

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    In my line of work I've seen an increase in fast tracking people through the process prior to surgery. You do your quick psych consult and see the nutritionist and off to get the surgery. What I end up seeing are A LOT of people who don't want to make the life style change (like changing diet) and as such are having incredible complications from their surgeries. It's really frustrating as I would think when this was performed less often the patients went through a more thorough screening process ensuring that the ones who did it were able to maintain it. Now some of hte hospitals here treat it like getting your eyes corrected or some other minor procedure like that that doesn't require lifestyle changes.

    It was suggested to me at one point by an MD to have the surgery. He had met me for exactly 5 minutes for a different medical issue unrelated to weight. He had no idea about my medical history, my mental health status (or the eating disorders I had), no idea what I ate or my activity level. He referred me to the weight loss center which stated to me on the phone they would be able to fast track me through the screening and prior auth process. I never went through with the surgery. Yes I could lose some weight but I knew I couldn't afford to maintain that surgery after I had it so I didn't. Instead I increased my activity level. Slowly losing some weight when I'm consistent with activities.

  8. #58
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,571

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Consistency and intensity is the key.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  9. #59
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,353

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    How much weight did your friend lose?
    Initially, 115 lbs. She put some back on a couple years after the surgery. I haven't seen her for several years now, but I hope she's managing her weight. She said that for her, it's an ongoing battle and that she felt that she was addicted to overeating (her words). She did receive counselling before and after the surgery.

    I should point out that before the provincial healthcare plan agreed to cover her surgery, she also had to prove that she had tried other methods of weight loss without success - I think she had done Weight Watchers, fitness programs, and therapy. She also had horrendous complications after the operation, and ended up spending six weeks in the hospital.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  10. #60
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,284

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Initially, 115 lbs. She put some back on a couple years after the surgery. I haven't seen her for several years now, but I hope she's managing her weight. She said that for her, it's an ongoing battle and that she felt that she was addicted to overeating (her words). She did receive counselling before and after the surgery. I should point out that before the provincial healthcare plan agreed to cover her surgery, she also had to prove that she had tried other methods of weight loss without success - I think she had done Weight Watchers, fitness programs, and therapy. She also had horrendous complications after the operation, and ended up spending six weeks in the hospital.
    Thank you for answering my question.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.