+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 425
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

  1. #41
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,570

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    I have been looking on Chris's website Reshape the Nation and at the STAX food portioning product and basically Rachel gave up on prepping her own food for the last 6 months and ate what her family ate. She just kept up the workouts. Come on I know she was getting tired but after being so successful to give up that easily speaks volumes about not resolving some of her food and self esteem issues.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  2. #42
    as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    It's often been said that losing weight is the easy part. Keeping it off is the hard part. I don't hold out tremendous hope for Rachel's long-term success.

    Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

  3. #43
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,280

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Well, with the national health plan that will soon be available that won't be a problem in the future now will it.
    I contacted my congressional representative and found out that those who are applying for individual policies, who have pre-existing conditions, (including being overweight), can still be denied medical insurance. Those with pre-existing conditions won't be guarenteed medical coverage until 2014. Of course if the wrong people get into congress, congress could do away with guaranteed health care. Thirty-five states have high risk pools for those with pre-existing conditions. The rates are higher than rates for those that are healthy; and, when people get that type of insurance, they have to wait six months to a year to get treated for the condition which made them uninsurable. By contrast, union members who are obese can get medical coverage through their union... but, once those obese union members lose weight, I don't think that plastic surgery to remove their loose abdominal skin would be considered "medically necessary." Rachel always wanted a flat stomach, but is a flat stomach a "medical necessity?"

  4. #44
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,570

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I contacted my congressional representative and found out that those who are applying for individual policies, who have pre-existing conditions, (including being overweight), can still be denied medical insurance. Those with pre-existing conditions won't be guarenteed medical coverage until 2014. Of course if the wrong people get into congress, congress could do away with guaranteed health care. Thirty-five states have high risk pools for those with pre-existing conditions. The rates are higher than rates for those that are healthy; and, when people get that type of insurance, they have to wait six months to a year to get treated for the condition which made them uninsurable. By contrast, union members who are obese can get medical coverage through their union... but, once those obese union members lose weight, I don't think that plastic surgery to remove their loose abdominal skin would be considered "medically necessary." Rachel always wanted a flat stomach, but is a flat stomach a "medical necessity?"
    It's all that lose flapping skin rubbing raw and bleeding possibly leading to sepsis or fungal skin infections that could qualify excess skin removal as a medical necessity.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #45
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,280

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    It's all that lose flapping skin rubbing raw and bleeding possibly leading to sepsis or fungal skin infections that could qualify excess skin removal as a medical necessity.
    I thought Rachel "jumped into" plastic surgery way too quickly. She lost a lot of weight for three months, then only lost three pounds for the next three months... so at that point her diet wasn't THAT successful. She should have lost all the weight she was going to lose; then kept it off for at least a year before she began to think about surgery to remove excess skin. Compared to older people who have lost much more weight, Rachel didn't seem to have much excess skin. Was it sagging so much that it would rub against her thighs when she walked? I read about a woman who had gastric bypass surgery, lost 325 pounds, kept the weight off for a year, was in her forties, and was denied an operation by her HMO to remove excess skin. Also, aren't there people on the Biggest Loser who lose even more than 161 pounds? Is there talk of most, or any, of those people getting surgery to remove excess abdominal skin? These weight loss shows have even proved that gastric bypass surgery isn't "medically necessary." And, I've read about people who gain all of their weight back after having gastric bypass surgery.

  6. #46
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,570

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I thought Rachel "jumped into" plastic surgery way too quickly. She lost a lot of weight for three months, then only lost three pounds for the next three months... so at that point her diet wasn't THAT successful. She should have lost all the weight she was going to lose; then kept it off for at least a year before she began to think about surgery to remove excess skin. Compared to older people who have lost much more weight, Rachel didn't seem to have much excess skin. Was it sagging so much that it would rub against her thighs when she walked? I read about a woman who had gastric bypass surgery, lost 325 pounds, kept the weight off for a year, was in her forties, and was denied an operation by her HMO to remove excess skin. Also, aren't there people on the Biggest Loser who lose even more than 161 pounds? Is there talk of most, or any, of those people getting surgery to remove excess abdominal skin? These weight loss shows have even proved that gastric bypass surgery isn't "medically necessary." And, I've read about people who gain all of their weight back after having gastric bypass surgery.
    Lost 80lbs first 3 months.

    Lost 50lbs second 3 months.

    Lost 3lbs third 3 months.

    Lost 28lbs forth 3 months.

    Biggest Loser has shown that through exercise and nutrition a person can lose large amounts of weight. They can also put it all back on. Ryan, the season 1 winner put it almost all back on.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 06-03-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #47
    as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Lost 80lbs first 3 months.

    Lost 50lbs second 3 months.

    Lost 3lbs third 3 months.

    Lost 28lbs forth 3 months.

    Biggest Loser has shown that through exercise and nutrition a person can lose large amounts of weight. They can also put it all back on. Ryan, the season 1 winner put it almost all back on.
    Rarely.... rarely... does a quick fix approach to weight loss work in the long-term. You don't suddenly blow up overnight and become obese... it takes years of eating wrong and being inactive. You don't lose it overnight either. Significant, long-term, weight loss is 75% diet and 25% exercise. Most anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off will tell you it's easier to lose the weight and oh-so-hard to maintain the loss!

    Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

  8. #48
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    The way I see this is, she lost an average of about 13.5 pounds a month that figures to a little over 3 pounds a week. That is a good rate to lose weight.

    The 3 month period she lost only 3lbs could be seen as maintaining and allowing her body to adjust to a lower weight. She admitted to slacking off during that time but it still served to give her a break. Had she stuck with the program she could have easily hit a plateau.

    She may need another tummy tuck if she gets to her goal weight but it was probably necessary to get that hanging skin off at this point to help her move better and inspire her to continue.

  9. #49
    Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,563

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    I like the show and think Chris is cute and a great trainer. He seemed very empathetic towards Rachel's struggle and where she wanted to be. That said, I didn't care for Rachel at all. She definitely worked hard when Chris was around but...her comments throughout the show led me to believe all she cared about was the plastic surgery to help her lose the weight. No, Lap band surgery isn't glamorous but plastic surgery sure is was the impression I got. Perhaps it was a case of her showing her 22 years but I didn't care for it.

    The fact that she only lost 3 pounds in those 3 months is what her life will be like post-show. She came up with legitimate reasons (in her mind) of why it was sooo hard to eat healthily - those are the same excuses she will continue to give herself as the years go down the road. I hope she won't let herself "go" when the cameras stop rolling and interviews cease. She will continue to live with her family and her mom will continue to cook for her - will she have the strength to say no to the foods she shouldn't be eating? I'd be interested to see how she does 1 year/3 years down the road. Sad to say but the majority of people who have those various surgeries (lap band/ gastric bypass) gain the weight back. I'd be curious to see if she does...

    That said, I do give her credit for the weight she lost; 130 pounds is no easy feat.

    ETA: I forgot to mention the plastic surgery - why oh why didn't they make her wait an add'l 2 months so she could work to lose more weight before taking it off? She was given a goal and came nowhere near it - why would you reward her for that, esp. knowing that she was supposed to lose it at some point? I would've made her wait and then done it a month before "the big reveal." I was really frustrated when they went ahead with it - I thought it was such a major cop out...
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 06-04-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

    “I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

  10. #50
    Kao
    Kao is offline
    Donyale y Dali: OTP Kao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post

    ETA: I forgot to mention the plastic surgery - why oh why didn't they make her wait an add'l 2 months so she could work to lose more weight before taking it off? She was given a goal and came nowhere near it - why would you reward her for that, esp. knowing that she was supposed to lose it at some point? I would've made her wait and then done it a month before "the big reveal." I was really frustrated when they went ahead with it - I thought it was such a major cop out...
    Yeah, that part seems kinda sketch to me, but on another show on TLC the doctors preformed PS on this guy (who was hugely obese) before he reached goal. Even after losing 200+ pounds he was still obese, and the skin around his knees were hanging down like saddlebags and he was having problems working out and was at a risk of infection because of it. Maybe something similar was going on with Rachel?

    13.5lbs a month is a little over 3lbs a week, which is reasonable, and the closer you get to goal the more the pounds want to just...stay and hang out, lol. Personally, I think losing the amount of weight she did is pretty impressive and I hope she's successful in keeping it off.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.