+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Top Chef Canada

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Top Chef Canada

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Season 3 premiered -- the hosts and judges are the same, and the format is still an ultra-traditional version of classic Top Chef.

It's almost too traditional -- while I always enjoy seeing ant version of Top Chef, there wasn't much excitement to this episode. The chefs have a variety of backgrounds, but none of them stick out as particularly compelling personalities. There was no drama and little tension, other than one chef not finishing her plating in time. The winner was humble, and everyone was happy for him. Even the eliminated chef shrugged and said "I deserved to go, oh well."

Normally I wouldn't mind this, since I usually complain so much about shows being over-scripted or manufacturing drama, or casting professional villains. I like that the Canadian version of TC tries to uphold the level of integrity of the US version. But there's not much that's really drawing me into the show.

Mark McEwan is a joyless, smug crank, and he can go scratch. He may be the right pick by virtue of his power/clout, but that doesn't make him ready for TV. Lisa Ray is okay, but she's too subdued. The whole production needs a fire lit under it.

But it's still Top Chef, so I'll keep watching whenever I can get my non-Canadian hands on an episode.
    Actually the smug judging panel is one if the reasons I get so annoyed when I watch his show. Mark McEwan has always annoyed the hell out of me.

Other than that I enjoy this show. Haven't yet seen the debut episode of season three yet but am planning to catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

CCL

Re: Top Chef Canada

I was at McEwan's one day when they were filming and there were contestants about. They claimed it was for another show but now I'm going to need to watch and see if I (horror of horrors) show up in the background.
    Too early to really comment on anyone. Plus they're airing the American Top Chef now (we are behind) so there's so many chefs milling about in my head. They just played the fried chicken episode and I was thinking of how the Canadian's chicken (without the waffle) would have measured up against Sheldon's or Josh's.
    As for judges, I don't mind McEwan myself. I like Lisa Ray ok (I don't really care for Padma one way or the other) but I don't really like the other judge. I wouldn't mind Chuck Hughes being a permanent judge (for purely shallow reasons).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm caught up on season 3. Have to agree, I really dislike Shereen Arazm as a judge. She seems so snotty and critical, and the faces she makes are ridiculous. I don't mind McEwan, and his killing the bee with his bare hands during dinner was hilarious. Tough guy!

I cannot stand the blonde girl, Caity. She is so abrasive, and I really don't think it will help her career to claim she hates working with other female chefs. Having said that, though, it was both her and her partner's fault that they got the wrong ingredients for their "protein" - Ruth shouldn't have mentioned chicken or duck as possible proteins unless she actually found them, and Caity should have asked immediately for confirmation that this is what they got before going into the truck to get the rest of the ingredients. Hate that Caity stayed, but I guess they hated Ruth's horrible soup, so it made sense that she was knifed.

Caity's slip up "people like to work for me" was really telling. Looks like next week she gets into it with another female chef. The judges are onto her though, so I don't think they will take much more drama from her if she ends up in the bottom again.

CCL

Yes, Caity is a piece of work. I guess they always have to have a villain.
    The chef that won the immunity challenge and then was a guest at the judge's table at the elimination challenge - man, he was enthralled with McEwan. The way he went on and on about McEwan killing a wasp.

That was so funny. And he looked so stiff and freaked out a bit while at the table, it was so funny.

I would have loved to eat some of that food, it looked soooo good.

CCL

Caity continues to be a piece of work (funny how autocorrect changes that to cavity). I don't understand her pairing of a chicken wing with halibut either. And when she said she went to one of the other chef's restaurant all the time I was prepared to be shocked as it looked like she was going to give a compliment, and then she said she went there to get wasted. Stay classy.
    Jonathan continues to be in love with McEwan, gushing about his 100 thread Egyptian cotton shirt. It was nice of him and Dan to help the other chef with her plating.

Finally got around to seeing this week's -- I was happy that Nicole won, and even happier that Caity didn't. Loved seeing Daniel Bouloud! Smuggy McEwan could learn a few things about being a gracious judge from him.

I'm glad Dan had immunity, but I doubt he needed it. I'll give Lisa credit for her astute question to Kayla at judges table: "Have you lost your fight?" I thought for sure she was a goner. But I guess you should never admit to the judges if you think you have been "coasting" through challenges so far. Adios, Clement.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Was it just me, or were the judges harsher (on the bottom teams) than usual in the last episode? I understand that their dishes weren't good, but the judges were very condescending when explaining why the dishes didn't work, as if they were talking to small children trying to make them understand. Or as if the chefs were complete morons.

Caity will probably be eliminated in some kind of team challenge where she can't handle working with others. She's so arrogant, and rarely says anything positive about anyone else. It was nice to hear Dan say that the best part of the experience was the people he met. Such a contrast to Caity.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

I've always found Mark to be smug and condescending. I thought it was funny when he copied Tom Colicchio's quickfire challenge -- Tom made HIS dish in 8 1/2 minutes, not some slowpoke 11!

I was glad Clement didn't get back in the competition -- I don't know why they focused on his big mouth for so many comments during the quickfire -- I was shouting "Shut up!" at the screen after 2 or 3 of his cutaways. Same with Caity, but that's no different from any other week. I can't wait for her to slip up and be eliminated.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Caity can go any time. Any time soon, hopefully. She seems like such an angry person all around.

That appetizer roll she made with Nicole (Nicole's idea) looked sooo good though. I wanted one (or a dozen).

Sad to see Dan go, but he had been really sliding by up to this point so his time was coming. He definitely had the right idea about the show and didn't seem to take it too badly.

Mark bugs me too, but Shereen drives me up the wall. I like Lisa, but love seeing the guest judges the best.

And is it just me, or do the Cdn chefs swear a lot more than the US version? There's a LOT of bleeping going on!

+ Reply to Thread