+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Top Chef Canada

FORT Newbie

Re: Top Chef Canada

(Long time lurker, first time posting)

Vij has launched a new food truck here on the west coast this week. He was shaking hands with everyone in the line up on its first day, and I got the opportunity to talk to him and tell him that IMO the "wrong chef" won. He told me there was a LOT of heated discussion that wasn't shown on the program and that Mark had a problem with the "family style" serving of Jonathan's main dish. Vij also said that Jonathan's curry was amazing!

Sounds to me that the finale should have be called "Mark's Choice" and not Top Chef Canada!

[By the way, the food at Vij's food truck was pretty amazing itself - looking forward to the opportunity to go back and try the Prawn Coconut Curry!]
    HaikenEdge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Having said that, though, Carl was indeed consistently in the top throughout the season so I am not surprised he won if they took the season into account in their judging. I am surprised though if it was based completely on their last challenge, unless as CCL suggested they praised his courses more than we were shown, which is entirely possible.
    According to Bourdain in his book Medium Raw, Top Chef is about what you've done most recently, not your entire body of work. Maybe Top Chef Canada is different, but if it isn't, then given the edit that was shown, it would appear that Jonathan got a raw deal, not to mention that it makes McEwan look kind of petty, since, if I recall correctly, the final task is to "make the best meal you can", for which I don't think "fine dining" was a prerequisite.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Well maybe Mark has some big bucks behind the show- since his grocery store gets featured so predominantly. Maybe his vote counts as 2 for every 1.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    (Long time lurker, first time posting)

Vij has launched a new food truck here on the west coast this week. He was shaking hands with everyone in the line up on its first day, and I got the opportunity to talk to him and tell him that IMO the "wrong chef" won. He told me there was a LOT of heated discussion that wasn't shown on the program and that Mark had a problem with the "family style" serving of Jonathan's main dish. Vij also said that Jonathan's curry was amazing!

Sounds to me that the finale should have be called "Mark's Choice" and not Top Chef Canada!

[By the way, the food at Vij's food truck was pretty amazing itself - looking forward to the opportunity to go back and try the Prawn Coconut Curry!]
    Aha! I knew that was the reason he didn't win. Mark couldn't have looked more unimpressed when he realized he'd have to serve himself. *gasp*
    What a snob.

Jonathan's curry did look amazing. I love curries...wish I still lived in Vancouver just to try Vij's truck. I'll have to try to figure out where it will be the next time I'm down there and make sure to hit it up for lunch. Yumm...

CCL

westcoast! Thanks for the backstage info - interesting.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I echo the thanks for info, westcoast! I always like knowing the "backstage" dealings from uncensored sources,

The finale was exciting once Dave was let back into the final 4, but ultimately it was kind of a letdown. Carl is a great chef, but he doesn't really create much excitement for me. My heart sank early on as I realized Dave was out of the running based on the table's reaction to his first 2 courses. I grew to really root for him.

Jonathan got the shaft. I would bet that Carl's waste of a course would have been unforgivable by Tom Colicchio, since the final meal is supposed to be about the chef's understanding of a progression as much as the food itself. Tom would have had the same opinion as Mark that family-style isn't a high-end way of presenting yourself, but it wouldn't have been a game changer. I don't like Mark McEwan very much, and I think he holds too much power on the show. They should replace him and find another high-end grocery chain (do they have Whole Foods in Canada?)
    HaikenEdge likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

CCL

We do have Whole Foods. Last year they shopped at Loblaws which is a large chain but probably (I would say) the most high-end of the mass-market grocery chains (other possibility would be a chain called Sobeys). I was actually surprised last year that they were shopping at Loblaws when they had McEwan as a judge.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Aha! I knew that was the reason he didn't win. Mark couldn't have looked more unimpressed when he realized he'd have to serve himself. *gasp*
    What a snob.

Jonathan's curry did look amazing. I love curries...wish I still lived in Vancouver just to try Vij's truck. I'll have to try to figure out where it will be the next time I'm down there and make sure to hit it up for lunch. Yumm...
    The assigned spot for Vij's truck is on Georgia Street, between Thurlow and Burrard - so that's where it should be. It was pure coincidence that I happened to check my Street Food App on the day he was due to open and luckily work just a couple of blocks away.
    sweetpea likes this.

Season 3 premiered -- the hosts and judges are the same, and the format is still an ultra-traditional version of classic Top Chef.

It's almost too traditional -- while I always enjoy seeing ant version of Top Chef, there wasn't much excitement to this episode. The chefs have a variety of backgrounds, but none of them stick out as particularly compelling personalities. There was no drama and little tension, other than one chef not finishing her plating in time. The winner was humble, and everyone was happy for him. Even the eliminated chef shrugged and said "I deserved to go, oh well."

Normally I wouldn't mind this, since I usually complain so much about shows being over-scripted or manufacturing drama, or casting professional villains. I like that the Canadian version of TC tries to uphold the level of integrity of the US version. But there's not much that's really drawing me into the show.

Mark McEwan is a joyless, smug crank, and he can go scratch. He may be the right pick by virtue of his power/clout, but that doesn't make him ready for TV. Lisa Ray is okay, but she's too subdued. The whole production needs a fire lit under it.

But it's still Top Chef, so I'll keep watching whenever I can get my non-Canadian hands on an episode.
    Hyper and bee stung lips like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread