+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Top Chef Canada

Re: Top Chef Canada

I'm baffled. They seemed shocked with Carl's decision to serve basically a pre-dessert for his 3rd course, and Chef McEwan swore as a result he could only judge him on 3 of the 4 courses, and yet he wins? They raved over Jonathan's first course. They absolutely loved Trevor's 3rd course. Jonathan's dessert was a big hit. And yet Carl wins? I don't really get it. I guess he showcased his culinary viewpoint the best? *sigh*

CCL

They loved Carl's first and second courses The third course McEwan and the one judge were miffed at his serving a sorbet, but the actual dish was judged to be "killer" versus Trevor's first course which they were also miffed at but also was judged to not be very good. I actually thought Jonathan might win, or at least place second, as they were complimentary of all his dishes, only really critiquing the dessert in saying it didn't match the Asian theme of his meal (though they complimented the taste of the dessert).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I was sure Jonathan had it in the bag too, so was surprised to see him go out first with David.

As was I. I was also kind of disappointed to see him come in 3rd or 4th however it goes. I thought that other than conceptual comments he didn't receive any negative feedback about the quality of his food. Oh well I hope this means he is still at Sidedoor.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I'm glad I wasn't the only one disappointed. I felt that the final deliberation/judging was not representative of the first hour we watched. I think Karl is qualified, but I don't feel like he should have won based on the final showing. Disappointed.
    sweetpea likes this.

Did I spell his name wrong? LOL That's about how much I was interested in Karl/Carl.

Glad I wasn't the only one who felt the results didn't really reflect the comments we saw throughout the judging.

Last night I saw an ad for applications for TCC 3...

I'm not sure which is right either.... Shows how much of an impression he made on me.

I'd like to know what went on between the dinner and the judging. Someone got in their ears.

Carl is the correct spelling, according to Wikipedia.

From the editing from the dinner, I'd have thought Jonathan had won. Based on that, the results feel like absolute bull, particularly when you factor in that Carl knows Dale, the winner from the first series, yet won despite ostensibly having only three courses to judge (and therefore really failing the entire assignment, which, you know, is to create four courses), lends some credence to the conspiracy theory that the entire show was not so much a competition, as it was a coronation.
    Revenge is ice cream.

CCL

Carl provided four courses - the sherbert/whatever might not have been viewed by some as a valid course but he did serve four dishes so...only McEwan made the comment that Carl should only be judged on three courses; the other judges didn't seem to share his compunction.
    I was wondering if Carl got more praise but they tamped it down in the episode so that the winner would be a surprise. Which only really served to confuse the audience as the winner didn't really match the praise showed. I'm not really surprised Carl won - he was consistently good over the course of the show and going into the finale I expected him to win. I was just a bit surprised he won based on the comments from the judges in the final episode.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I was wondering if Carl got more praise but they tamped it down in the episode so that the winner would be a surprise. Which only really served to confuse the audience as the winner didn't really match the praise showed. I'm not really surprised Carl won - he was consistently good over the course of the show and going into the finale I expected him to win. I was just a bit surprised he won based on the comments from the judges in the final episode.
    Yes, the editing, at least to me, showed Jonathan as the clear winner based on how his dishes were received. I wonder if his decision to serve his Asian dish 'family style' was what sunk him. McEwan particularly seemed to turn his nose up at that idea, too pedestrian for him I guess.

I agree that Carl made 4 courses, but as Shareen mentioned, if you were to advertise a 4 course meal in your restaurant and then chose to make a sorbet for one of them, the customer would not be happy no matter how great the sorbet was because you are paying a LOT for it. I think it was a worse decision than serving something family style.

Having said that, though, Carl was indeed consistently in the top throughout the season so I am not surprised he won if they took the season into account in their judging. I am surprised though if it was based completely on their last challenge, unless as CCL suggested they praised his courses more than we were shown, which is entirely possible.

+ Reply to Thread