+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Top Chef Canada

Re: Top Chef Canada

The season/series premiere wasn't too bad. I think it lacked some oomph, but I attribute that to them settling in and the show establishing itself.

This discussion is interesting. Do you believe that the producers are racist and chose people based on whiteness? Is whiteness a bad thing for a tv show? Does it make a better show to have varied ethnicity or better chefs? If the producers had a choice should they have chosen the person they thought would be a better cheftestant even if he were white and male, or passed him over for a ethnic person or a woman? Do whiteness and maleness count against you as a chef on tv?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    This discussion is interesting. Do you believe that the producers are racist and chose people based on whiteness? Is whiteness a bad thing for a tv show? Does it make a better show to have varied ethnicity or better chefs? If the producers had a choice should they have chosen the person they thought would be a better cheftestant even if he were white and male, or passed him over for a ethnic person or a woman? Do whiteness and maleness count against you as a chef on tv?
    My husband and I had this discussion last night... we found it very refreshing not to have contestants selected just because of their gender, race or religion. I think for once there may be a cast of people who were perhaps the most qualified?

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    My husband and I had this discussion last night... we found it very refreshing not to have contestants selected just because of their gender, race or religion. I think for once there may be a cast of people who were perhaps the most qualified?
    Well judging by the pool of contestants one would assume only white people are aspiring top chefs.

If there is a season two, and it's doubtful, because the Canadian versions of these shows never make it past one season, they'd do well to add some colour to the show. But then again, this is Canada we're talking about. They'd be hard pressed to find a clue.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

My guess is that they simply selected the ones they thought provided the best video regardless of gender or ethnicity. The application process was pretty detailed and onerous. My son was considering applying.

At any rate - i enjoyed the show and right now I am rooting for the Montrealer...

I liked the first show a lot, actually. I thought the host was very comfortable (way better than Kelly was on TCM first season!) and the judging seemed fair. Seems strange that there are only 3 women. I really liked the way the one girl cooked so calmly during the quickfire challenge. I hope she goes a long way.

What happened to the one girl's really rare meat? I thought that would be an issue?

Also, that lobster of Francois' must have been great to be in the top even lacking sauce. Hard to believe he quit his job in Vancouver to do the show. He made me laugh, I hope he goes far.

Some pretty talented chefs on the show, who have worked with some of the big names: Susar Lee (yay! my wish for him to be a judge is coming true!), Daniel Boulud, Gordon Ramsay. But the meat/blueberry dish looked gross, and who in the heck eats SEAL??? Perhaps if you are a killer whale, but really, do people eat seal on the east coast??

I'll be tuning in for sure next Monday. I thought it was a decent premiere episode, lack of ethnicity notwithstanding.

Is it just me or the judges a bit harsher in their feedback to the chefs?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I liked the first show a lot, actually. I thought the host was very comfortable (way better than Kelly was on TCM first season!) and the judging seemed fair. Seems strange that there are only 3 women. I really liked the way the one girl cooked so calmly during the quickfire challenge. I hope she goes a long way.

What happened to the one girl's really rare meat? I thought that would be an issue?

Also, that lobster of Francois' must have been great to be in the top even lacking sauce. Hard to believe he quit his job in Vancouver to do the show. He made me laugh, I hope he goes far.

Some pretty talented chefs on the show, who have worked with some of the big names: Susar Lee (yay! my wish for him to be a judge is coming true!), Daniel Boulud, Gordon Ramsay. But the meat/blueberry dish looked gross, and who in the heck eats SEAL??? Perhaps if you are a killer whale, but really, do people eat seal on the east coast??

I'll be tuning in for sure next Monday. I thought it was a decent premiere episode, lack of ethnicity notwithstanding.
    In NFLD they do. You can buy frozen seal flipper pie (similar to a beef pie but it tastes and smells super fishy). I've never eaten it but someone gave my husband one and I cooked it. It took me way too long to get the smell out of the house. My husband couldn't get more than a mouthful down.

I really can't stand the chef who won the elimination challenge on the most recent episode (the Toronto chef who absolutely wanted to make sausage).
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I thought the liar should have gone. Too bad he had immunity. Loved, loved loved seeing Dan Akroyd as the guest judge, and he makes vodka? Who knew!! I thought Connie's prize was awesome...flown down to LA, stay across from the House of Blues, have dinner there with Dan (and you know there will be other celebrities of some sort there too, musicians, etc.) AND then invited to dinner at his house to cook with his wife? Wow. I'm an average cook at best but man I'd love that prize. I love Dan.

Some annoying chefs, some good chefs, some that just need to go...and the bacon foam? I thought, hey, who let Marcel on the show??!

Cannot wait to see Susar Lee next week. I love him!

It would appear that the Canadian "fans" are not very active posters in this thread.

I would never eat that pureed salmon roll "mousse".
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread