+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Top Chef Canada

CCL

Re: Top Chef Canada

Vittorio will probably end up second. Which would be fun to watch.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Well, I guess the "battle of the sexes" is officially over. They really didn't play up that aspect of the show too much, although they couldn't really when so many of the women were getting eliminated. Goodbye Evelyn and your too-short, highly distracting eyebrows.

I really enjoyed the episodes the 2 previous weeks because Shereen was absent from the judging panel. She is SUCH a drama queen. Yes, it was a mistake that Evelyn and Rich didn't incorporate a protein into their dishes, but she just goes to the next level with her criticism. "If that was given to my child for lunch I would have a HEART ATTACK!!!" Seriously, WTF? Calm down and get over yourself. Yes, parents care about what their kids eat, but not having protein in one meal is not a cause for that level of outrage. And her questioning Rich about his kid not eating it was over the top as well. I did like seeing Chuck Hughes and Danny Smiles as guest judges though. Still think Danny should have won season 3.

I was surprised the raw veggie kabobs didn't get criticized more, since they involved absolutely no cooking, which is usually a horrible idea in cooking competitions. It may have been a good idea to make kabobs with cooked veggies and they could have also put chicken on them. Kids might have liked that.

Jesse is the frontrunner at this point. He seems like a down-to-earth, nice guy. I'd be happy if he won.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

What a great challenge to bring Danny back! I just lit up when he appeared in the kitchen -- and he was the perfect person to send around to get the kids' opinions.

Thank God they thought to have Danny on, because otherwise this challenge was a bore. I agree with getting rid of Evelyn -- they had a good reason, and it's not like she was any better than the other chefs. So I won't call "boy's club" this time.

Next week is a double elimination to get to the final three -- dang! What's the rush? That's going to be harsh. Even though Rich and Vittorio got the "humanizing" montages this week, I'd rather see Terry, Jessie and Rene in the finals.
    sweetpea likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

I had a huge grin on my face seeing Danny Smiles again. I loved that guy! And yes, he seemed like the perfect person to talk to the kids, and seemed to have fun doing it.

Shareen the judge is such a pill. I agree with her, not having a protein really sank Evelyn and Rich's team, but she acted so outraged about how livid she would be if that were her kid's lunch at school. She just seems so OTT sometimes.

I was really surprised that Wylie Dufresne was only used for the quickfire judge. My daughter has a terrific memory...she glanced up and said "Is that the egg guy?" from TCM.

I hope Vittorio goes soon, or at the very least doesn't win. His head is already HUGE. Rich with his kids was sweet, as was his story about his dad. I'm still loving Terry and Jesse, and I guess Rene is ok. I want to like him more because sometimes he's kind of cute, but then other times he looks like a big douchebag.
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    Valar Morghulis

I was happy to see Vittorio eliminated. It was pretty obvious that his salad completely underwhelmed the judges. Making a salad in cooking competitions usually doesn't go well, unless the challenge actually is to make a salad. A woman was eliminated early on this season for making a green salad. Oh well, wasn't sad to see him go. It was surprising that Jesse went, since he had won quite a few elimination challenges and seemed to be the frontrunner. If only he had put more halibut on the plate. His choice to do all that stuff with beets was odd. I'm definitely rooting for Terry now.

Rich and Rene seem to be less douchey than they were at the beginning, although it may be that they're getting a more favourable edit since they're in the finale. I wonder if they'll have the eliminated chefs come back to help the finalists like they've done in the past seasons.

I really liked the cookie challenge. I wanted to try them all.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Overall I'm happy with the final three, although I would have preferred Jessie over Rich. I don't dislike any of them at this point -- they're all incredibly talented, so whoever wins will definitely deserve it. I just hope it's Terry. If Terry can't get there, I hope it's Rene, who has grown on me over the season.

Duff Goldman rules! Great to see him judging the cookie quickfire. I really miss Ace of Cakes.

CCL

Mmm...cookies.
    I don't see Rich winning. I think it will be Terry.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Until they announced it, I had no idea whether it would be Terry or Rene. The feedback seemed very even for the 2 of them. Before the judges tasted it I thought the burnt onion topping on Terry's parfait would be his undoing, but they all loved it. Rene putting mealworms on his molé was a very gutsy move. Terry didn't seem bitter about coming in 2nd, and it's nice that they bring in the families of all the finalists at the end and not just the winner's.

Rich was pretty much out of the running once they had the raw quail dish, and failing to make a dessert (with a bad plate in place of it) cemented him in 3rd place. It would have been a very heavy meal with 4 courses of meat/fish. I didn't really want him to win anyway. He was very lucky to have immunity those 2 times that he had the worst dish.

I'm happy with the outcome, even though I was more rooting for Terry. As long as Rich was out of the running, I knew I'd be okay with whoever won. Terry has the kind of personality that will help him get lots of opportunities from the exposure he got on the show. And I grew to like Rene, who distinguished himself from the smug/humorless clique of chefs (Rich, Vitorrio, etc.).

Overall, good season. That "battle of the sexes" was a real red herring though, wasn't it...

I also grew to like Rene a lot, so I was happy with the outcome. I liked Terry as well and would have been equally as happy if he had won. As long as it wasn't Rich!

All in all, a good season. Can't wait until the next one!
    Valar Morghulis

+ Reply to Thread