+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Top Chef Canada

CCL

Re: Top Chef Canada

Gabriela always seemed out of her element. She reminded me of that young female chef in a recent season of US Top Chef who was also out of her depth. Of course I've forgotten her name and season so I'm of no help.
    While I agree that it's problematic for those with immunity to work in team challenges, Shelley didn't cause any problems for Terry and the other chef. They brought that on themselves. Unlike with Rich earlier in the season.
    Slow rider slider made me giggle. Rene's dish looked good but his arrogance continues. Vitorrio surely meant to refer to him as the arrogant one, not Terry.
    I think they must have tossed the eggs. They were just sitting out on the counters during the rest of the challenge after being broken. Unless the crew got a big lunch that day.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Wow, the women are doing terribly. 5 out of the 7 of them have been eliminated. The only male boot so far was the guy in the first ep.

Rich once again made a bad dish but was saved because he had immunity. The chicken/hot dog association was quite strange. I can understand if he grew up with them, but you don't hear much about chicken hot dogs or see them very often. I've had them before and I thought they really weren't very good. I liked Lauren from what we saw of her, but how could she let Rene dominate the dish? It's like the two guys in the first challenge opting not to make a dish. Actually, it was worse, because it wasn't a matter of having too many courses for the amount of people. She should have known she'd get called out on that in judging, especially at this stage. With only 8 people left there'll be no more immunity for Quickfire winners. I still don't think the immune people should have been partnered up with the others.

I was hoping for an Evelyn or Vittorio elimination.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

CCL

I'm guessing the next few eliminations will be male.
    Some of the combinations seemed more difficult than others. And then to throw the incorporate a sport element....hmm.
    I agree about the chicken hot dogs. If he doesn't like beef hot dogs why didn't he do pork? I never think of chicken hot dogs as a thing.
    I'm not surprised Lauren allowed Rene to run the show. She's come off as quite meek and he's convinced of his own superiority.
    The meatballs and fries looked good/interesting. That probably would have been my favourite.

Vittorio is a dickhead, and I was angry that they didn't have the guts to eliminate him. While there many be an air of sexism in the restaurant world, I feel like it's more blatant in this version of Top Chef. The fact that Lauren didn't take a leadership role is bad, but that's something that she could have taken a lesson from and moved on, especially since fellow Dickhead #2 Rene was really responsible for the dish being so bad. I guess heavy, bad-tasting gnocchi is unforgiveable so I can't really fault them for sending Karine home, also because she ordered the chicken breast at the market and threw Dickhead #3 Rich the fatal curveball to their dish.

I was very happy with the top 4, and really happy that Terry notched another win. I wasn't broken up about the rest of them being on the bottom, but I'm really having a problem with the cold, swollen-headed Dickhead Trio. When Karine hugged Vittorio goodbye and said, "No you DESERVE to be here!" I wanted to shake her and say, no, stop selling yourslef short, and don't feed those jerks' superior attitudes. Ugh.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I hate that Dickhead #1 Vittorio won the Quickfire and Restaurant Wars. It's only going to inflate his already huge ego.

Terrible performance by Pierre and his team. Their restaurant name was horrible IMO. Goosebumps/chicken skin? Very awkward when he asked the judges about wanting pens/crayons, then didn't even explain the appetizers. I'm confused as to why Rich wouldn't have thought to prepare more than 50% restaurant capacity of pickerel. Wouldn't you know to make more if you'd worked in a restaurant before, or wouldn't someone else have told him? The beef thing looked horrible on top of that "oat-sotto". Then they stop serving it and run out of fish, and have no protein whatsoever. When Pierre was explaining to guests that they'd have to go right from apps to dessert, it was quite cringeworthy. Any flaws the other team had in their dishes (their desserts didn't go over well) paled in comparison. I didn't mind Pierre in general but he deserved to be eliminated after that.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

What I hated most was at the end in the stew room, when Vittorio told Pierre that it was his own fault for trying to run everything instead of leaning on the other chef's restaurant experience. I hated it because he was right -- it was like he was betting on Pierre doing exactly what he did when he picked him. He's like an assassin.

Vittorio can be as talented as anyone, but I take no pleasure in watching him succeed because he is so incredibly cold and humorless. Same with Rich -- if someone who knew what they were doing was exec chef, they wouldn't have let him get away with only doing 40 portions of the fish. That was a selfish move and it helped sink the team just as much as Pierre's bad beef dish did.

At least Rene showed a human side this week, going gaga over meeting Ched Morimoto and asking for his autograph like a goofy kid. If one of the Dickheads has to win, I would mind less if it was him.
    sweetpea likes this.

CCL

Your first paragraph -absolutely.

Wow, I don't recall them ever throwing out one of the meals in restaurant wars before. At the same time, I didn't really feel it was Rich's place to determine that. It wasn't his dish- it should have been Pierre's choice if he wanted to continue subjecting guests to that dish. Especially when they all knew they were going to end up short on mains as a result.

That was likely the most uninteresting and uninspiring Restaurant Wars I've seen on the show. I really like it when they have to shop for the decor and create the ambiance for themselves. This just seemed like a regular challenge, putting together a menu and cooking and serving it.

That said, you could definitely see the inexperience come through with Pierre leading the team. I wanted to crawl under the table when I saw him ask the judges if they wanted crayons, and his beef dish really looked gross, definitely over cooked and too thick. That said, Rich only prepping for that many covers was a huge mistake, and one he should have known better than to make. Having Rich and Shelley on his team, Pierre wasn't going to get a lot of help. They are so cold and abrasive. I don't see a lot of joy in what they do, honestly. Aside from Rich's fish, the entire restaurant was a huge letdown and deserved to lose.

But at the same time I cannot be happy for Vittorio. Again, a cold humourless person. I hate that he won and I agree that his already overinflated ego just got 10x bigger.

I guess the only joy we got to see was Rene's at meeting his idol. That was fun.
    Valar Morghulis

I loved seeing Vittorio and Rich on the bottom, but of course, this being Top Chef Canada run by Mark McEwan, Shelly went home because she's the girl. These judges are incapable of simply judging the food in front of them -- they look at Vottorio and Rich and think, "Gee we have to keep them around, don't we?" no matter how bad their canapes were.

Granted, as soon as they hit the supermarket and Shelly told us she was doing raw clams (a mere minute after Lisa warned them that it was going to be a hot day), I knew she was doomed. And the judges probably overplayed the smackdowns they gave Vittorio and Rich, just to make it seem suspenseful. Inedible rabbit and raw venison are just as tough to get down as a raw clam, but it was obvious that Shelly was gone, just like it was obvious that Jessie was the winner by a mile.

I'm looking forward to next week, since they will be cooking for kids -- another chance for Vittorio and Rich to be tossed off their game, since I think they were spawned in a lab called Smugco Industries.

I was hoping that Vittorio would be eliminated. As you said, he just has a really smug attitude, and it would be glorious to see his face if/when that happens (also thinking about how terrible it would be if he won).

It's disappointing that yet another female chef was eliminated. I agree that Shelly choosing to do raw clams didn't bode well. When the judges came around and Mark asked her how she cooked it and she said that it was raw, you could tell they weren't impressed. I've enjoyed the absence of Shereen on the judging panel these past couple of weeks. Looks like Danny Smiles (who I fully expected to win last season) makes an appearance next week. Rooting for Jesse or Terry at this point.

+ Reply to Thread