+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Top Chef Canada

Re: Top Chef Canada

I also was expecting the salted fish head to go over badly.

I recall it was either last season or the season before there was someone (don't remember her name but it was a woman with short hair) who often didn't finish her dishes. There may have been a time when she had nothing to put out during a quickfire. She was eliminated relatively early on.

I don't get why a woman would have to be on the men's team next ep. There's no need as there are equal numbers of men and women. Vittorio also makes a douchey sexist comment in the clip.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

CCL

I think it is a woman leading the men's team and a man leading the women's team for the next challenge.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

That was an interesting challenge, and honestly I don't know how anyone in this competition thinks they will get by just making a green salad...add in a really hot day and I can just imagine the mess it turned out to be. What I thought was really odd...was Dawn actually using her bare hands to handle the super hot peppers in the quick fire!? I saw other chefs using gloves, and then she cuts them with her bare hands AND touches her finger to her mouth to taste how hot it is. Good thing she didn't touch her eye, my goodness. That was just stupid.

She didn't seem very inspired, so I don't mind that she left.

I'm really hoping they put up the recipe for the winning chicken dish from this week. That looked so tasty to me!
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

I agree about the salad. I think that even if it had worked, she would have still been in the running for elimination because it was completely unoriginal. It seems that there was very little actual cooking involved in its preparation, which is always a huge mistake in a competition based on cooking. Wouldn't it burn your hands to touch a pepper that hot? The other chefs that had milder peppers than she did were using gloves.

Gabriela also should have known better than to use canned corn, especially during corn season. Obviously using fresh corn would have taken more time, but if that was the case then she probably could have done something using an ingredient other than corn. She also didn't seem all that receptive to the feedback about it.

It was pretty obvious that the women were going to lose. Most of the negative comments that it showed in the "coming up" part were about the women's team. The absence of these comments during the men's tasting (which occurred first) really pointed to the women losing.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

CCL

That chicken did quite look good. I know Gabriela used canned corn (the horror) but corn aioli sounds like an interesting idea at least (though I don't think it ended out tasting very good, either).
    Love Green Goddess dressing but I, with others, always think a salad is going to lose out in a cooking challenge.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Gabriela definitely seemed confused at their comments about using canned corn. When the guest judge said "fresh is best, yes?" then I think she got it.

The wild green salad looked unoriginal and the "potato" salad, after she described what was in it, seemed really unappetizing to me. I think sometimes these chefs struggle to find the sweet spot between making their food original and exciting, and keeping it simple and tasty.

Shereen as a judge really bugs me. She always seems to be sneering.

Why do they keep letting Gabriela stay? She should have gone last week, and she should have gone this week.

And while there was no chance that Rene was going home since he made the only good dish on the team, I don't like that there was absolutely no discussion about him being a bad leader. He could use an ego smack every once in a while.

So glad Terry won, he's easily become my favorite chef so far.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Rene definitely needs an ego smack. A big one. His method of "leading" was "do whatever the heck you want" and then he seems shocked that things don't turn out. Oy.

I like Terry too, and he looks like he makes relatively simple but tasty food.

Gabriela finally goes down. Only took 3 weeks of salty food for the judges to do the deed.

Terry certainly got a smackdown edit this week -- but I don't buy it. I think Vitorrio's assertions about Terry being arrogant are more about Vitorrio's competitiveness than anything Terry displays. Vitorrio's kind of smug himself, I think he was projecting.

The teaming of Terry/Evelyn/Shelly was just tragic from the start. I'm just glad Terry didn't go down with the ship.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

This was Gabriela's 3rd time in the bottom (I think). Not to sound mean but she seemed rather clueless at times. She also didn't respond that well to the feedback she was given. I agree that Vitorrio seems more arrogant than Terry. Terry doesn't seem that arrogant to me really. I don't agree with people having immunity participating in the challenge with everyone else. There's really not much of a point, as the person can pretty much just do whatever they want (sometimes at the expense of others) and be able to stay. It would be better if they just sat out for the challenge.

What did they do with all those eggs they used in the quickfire? What was it, 48 regular, 24 quail, and 1 ostrich per person? I certainly hope they didn't all get thrown out after being used for the challenge. That's a lot of eggs...

Rene's eyes always look like they're half-closed. Maybe they're just heavily-lidded, but it makes him look like he's sleepy/out of it.

+ Reply to Thread