+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Top Chef Canada

CCL

Re: Top Chef Canada

Ah, Top Chef Canada is back...and I'm back to hoping I don't show up in the background of any of their grocery dashes.

I wonder how far they're going to carry the "boys vs girls" thing. It's silly.

Too early to pick favourites. I was mixed on the male leader...on the one hand, good for him for not resting on his immunity and wanting to compete on a dish. On the other hand, he did inconvenience his other team members. I don't know why they couldn't have just had seven courses anyhow. It was set up for problems. I was ok with the guy who went because he was a hindrance in the kitchen - he was too busy thinking highly of himself, how he and his ways were right etc to be a team player.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I had no idea the new season had started until I saw these posts as I hardly ever watch Food Network anymore.

I'm not sure how I feel about the guys vs girls format so far; I prefer when they do some challenges in smaller groups/pairs. The leader of the men's team was so lucky that he had immunity. It was stupid for 2 of the guys (don't know the names yet) to not insist on at least collaborating on a dish. They should have known that would look really bad to the judges. Didn't really care that the guy was eliminated as we haven't had a chance yet to see much of anyone. I'm wondering if they'll have the challenge for an eliminated chef to come back again this season.

I don't like when cooking shows get irrelevant judges who are not involved in the food/restaurant industry, although Dean is the host of Chopped Canada, so I can kind of see that. Dean and Tori added nothing to the show, and I agree his comment about "dessert" was just tacky. I remember how they had one of the real housewives as a guest judge last season. Ick.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Yes, the guy who was eliminated definitely had an ego. He thought he was a shoe-in to win it all. Oh well!

Why they had fewer courses than chefs is beyond me as well. But in the past we've seen two chefs collaborate on one dish, so why use the extras merely as "floaters" ? Didn't make sense and it's true, it would look bad to the judges. Then again, if the fellow whose dish it was didn't have immunity, the other guy (bad with names too!) could have argued that it wasn't his vision and he did the best he could with the role he was playing. Not sure if that would have gotten him a pass or not.
    Valar Morghulis

CCL

Two of the women collaborated on a dish so that was certainly an option. I don't know why the men didn't go down that route. Though I guess originally the leader planned to collaborate with the other guy and the other guy was the one who chose not to. .

I don't know why, either. I liked how the leader of the women's group, who had immunity, let the others take the lead on the dishes while she acted as the all around helper. It made sense, and I seem to remember the judges commenting as such.
    Valar Morghulis

Rich was completely responsible for the men's failure, and I was angry that he had immunity. The women just got the nature of the challenge right away, that the captain with immunity should take a back seat and help/oversee things in the kitchen. That made it easier for the rest of the team to collaborate on dishes. Rich was too much of a dictator, but the other men were at fault for not speaking up enough when they were planning the tasting menu. I would have liked to see Mike go far this season, but with his supposed exec experience, his failure to voice his concerns to Rich early was his downfall for sure -- it made him seem weasel-ish.

I hope the 'battle of the sexes' thing isn't going to happen every week -- eventually the numbers will be too imbalanced for it to work so hopefully it won't last long. After seeing how the men treated this team challenge, I'm thinking this could really be the season for the first female Top Chef.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I absolutely can see a woman winning this season, and I hope it happens!

I was ticked off that Rich had immunity too, MFW. He was so incredulous during judging, he literally had no idea his dish was the worst. There's a huge ego there, just waiting to be knocked down.

Like you, I hope they nix the gender thing soon.
    Valar Morghulis

CCL

Doesn't seem like the gender thing will end soon. :/
    This episode was meh for me as I don't really like Asian food. But David Chang seems nice.

The teams were mixed. and they didn't really play up the Battle of the Sexes thing this week, so that was a relief.

People I want to stay keep leaving, grrrr. I thought that Filipino distaster dish would have gotten one of them kicked, but apparently Ruth's food was worse.

I was happy Rich didn't win. He has such a cold, superior attitude in general that I don't think I could stand to watch him gloat over an actual achievement.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Rich does seem cold, doesn't he? He's so stone faced. I guess he would call it intensity, but it comes across as arrogant and superior.

I thought for sure that the salt-encrusted fish head thing was going to be a disaster, since they played it up so much. I had to laugh at the big reveal at the table. Shareen had a look on her face like she's swallowed a spider. Thankfully it worked, though. I love any and all Asian food, so would have been in heaven at that table.

Was that the first time that a contestant hasn't had ANYTHING to put up at a quick fire? I seem to think it happened once on TC but I can't be sure.

From the previews, it looks like the gender thing is going to be an issue again. I want to like Rene cause he's cute but he comes across like a total douche in the clip for next week.
    Valar Morghulis

+ Reply to Thread