+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

America's Next Great Restaurant

Airs Sundays at 8:00 PM on NBC.

Anybody else watching this? It's two episodes in, and I've been enjoying it so far!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

We are. I was so glad to see the jerks go home right away. The guy with the "Wangs". I have no idea how chicken and waffles guys didn't beat his butt for what he said. "Of course he's making wings, he's black....it's what they do." Or something along those lines. What a jerk!

Then there was the guy who already had 4 places and wanted to open yet another burger place. The one in the cook-off with the orange tan? So glad he left too.

Curtis Stone is everywhere! LOL (Take Home Chef, Celeb Apprentice and something else).

I love the idea of the healthy fast food from the Oriental girl, I think she's on to something. So is the guy with the fast Indian. Those two caught my attention. I think Sports Wrap is a great idea but yet another wrap place? No. And I just like the waffles and chicken guy but not something I'd ever be interested in trying out.

I think those are the top four and the rest are just fodder.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I am watching and I have enjoyed it too- it's quite a prize isn't it?!

I like the idea of Limbo- it's a different concept. I liked the name of "the Sport's Wrap", however when you strip it down, it is just sandwich wraps that you make yourself- no big deal. Someone compared it to Subway yesterday and I think that's pretty acurate.

I also like the Grilled Cheese idea, although I don't like the name or the logo. I have no idea how the wings and waffles made it this far- it certainly isn't a new concept. Maybe if he changed it to something to do with Soul Food than he will get farther in the competition.

The taco idea is different, although I hated the logo. I like the concept of "Hicks"' but they are not executing it well so far. "Saucy Balls" is a horrible name and there are a zillion Italian restaurants out there- what makes his special? The others aren't standing out so far.

FORT Fogey

Loved the Asian woman's plan and they did too. Compleat. Lousy logo and name but they will change that. I would also love to have a fast food Southern Indian restaurant. The food is so much better than the usual fare we see repeated in every Indian restaurant across the nation. These two top the list for me.

I was stunned to see the southern small plate people make a tater tot casserole. These are called "hot dish" in the midwest and viewed as digusting and a joke by anyone who is even vaguely into good food!! Look up a recipe and you will cringe. They are doomed and by the previews; it looks like they will go this week.

There is already a chain, Rosco Chicken and Waffles and though I have not seen one, I looked them up. Loni (comic on Chelsey Lately) makes fun of them and I had to wonder if they even existed. Odd concept, he wont make it far.

The taco guy is just wrong. Yes his logo is hip and cool, I see that. But the judges are right, not square. It does not say I serve tacos, come on in. Many would pass by thinking it was a tattoo or motorcycle business.

Wraps? Come on! Wraps are everywhere. And I don't want to go to a restaurant where I build my own; show me something unique. Give a customer some options like Chipotle, sure, but not from the ground up. Her attitude and mediocre food telegraphed her departure early in the show. Arrogant woman.

I was shocked the grilled cheese guy was the crowd favorite. But it is difficult to get a good grilled cheese though and it would be a nice option.

I dont like stir fry. Boring.

I like this show though!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    We are. I was so glad to see the jerks go home right away. The guy with the "Wangs". I have no idea how chicken and waffles guys didn't beat his butt for what he said. "Of course he's making wings, he's black....it's what they do." Or something along those lines. What a jerk!

Then there was the guy who already had 4 places and wanted to open yet another burger place. The one in the cook-off with the orange tan? So glad he left too.

Curtis Stone is everywhere! LOL (Take Home Chef, Celeb Apprentice and something else).

I love the idea of the healthy fast food from the Oriental girl, I think she's on to something. So is the guy with the fast Indian. Those two caught my attention. I think Sports Wrap is a great idea but yet another wrap place? No. And I just like the waffles and chicken guy but not something I'd ever be interested in trying out.

I think those are the top four and the rest are just fodder.

I have seen him on BIGGEST LOSER!!!

I have this taped on my DVR, I got take time to watch it.
    KAREN

My husband and I have been using saucy balls as the punch line for everything all week long lol. If somebody says something that doesn't make sense, we say "saucy balls" and burst into laughter. Try it, it's perfect but the concept isn't. I was stunned to see him make the cut.

The Hicks - small plate southern food? HUH? Doesn't that go against the whole concept of southern food? Plus the name is offensive and I am from the south and would not eat in a place with that name.

I don't remember taco guy.

Grilled Cheese guy - I didn't get the judges ragging on him and saying "but I can make that at home" well...duh...you are a chef and you can make just about all these things at home. Point? Anyways, I have two words...Panera panini - AKA grilled cheese sandwiches with adult stuff added into it. This is not some new concept and didn't warrant their reactions.

In my opinion they are all fodder except for Wok girl, healthy fast food girl, and fast Indian guy.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fan

I am loving this show

I really like the way they do bring in some professionals....graphic designers....chefs....and that the challenges seem to be really related to the contest, not just some wacky idea (like making a dish out of a vending machine...hello Top Chef)

I must say I do NOT understand what is unique or different about the "wraps", the "wok", the "spicy meatballs" (Italian)....the tacos?? Not sure about that

The grilled cheese ? Actually looked pretty good but not sure how often I would go there. The "Limbo"?? Sounded cool, but the food looked alike...not sure it would work in real life.

I am most excited about the "Compleat" restaurant...I would def. try that, loved the calorie count and her food looked really good IMHO

I was glad to see Fran go , wraps?? Umm...how bout subway, they let you choose what is on a wrap ....Fran's logo was ugly, her attitude was bad..and apparently her food was also. I didn't like the way she totally dismissed the judge's opinion

I must say I am really happy with this show so far. I also like that we will "see' the final prize, at least in 3 cities.

It's a good and interesting show so far, I enjoy the concept of it all. Heck, I've had my own restaurant concept in my head for like 10 years now (I call it "Roots & Branches"), so this show is hitting my interest right quick.

I agree with others, Stephenie's Compleat is to me the most interesting of the concepts. I also like Sandy the Limbo lady, and Sudhir the Indian fellow whose name I've yet to elarn. I also hope Marisa, the Wok lady does well too, but that's mainly because I want her to beat that Taco guy, Alex. He's such an absolute jerk, and he seems to hold a unique grudge on Marisa, to the point that it's just really creepy. Not to mention his idea, like Fran and her wraps, is unoriginal and boring. Same goes for Joseph, he's creepy and I don't like him, plus "Saucy Balls" is the worst name for a restaurant, ever.

I watched tonight for the first time b/c the Grilled Cheese guys mom was my 1st grade teacher! My DH thinks his idea is dumb but I like it - his sandwiches looked GOOD but then again I love grilled cheese!

I am not sure that anyone else seems to offer anything radically different. It will be interesting to see how it progresses. The hardest thing about it is not being able to taste the food - the best thing - CURTIS!! Now he looks yummy to me!!

FORT Fogey

Their focus is to find the next great fast food chain, using Chipolte as their model. I get the grilled cheese concept with this criteria. When I am out all day and have grab a bite to eat quickly, the choices are limited, boring and just not good. I acutally wanted a grilled cheese the other day after watching this show and could not find one. A diner serves the orange, processed cheese food slice (velveeta) on lousy bread.

Tacos are not a new concept but the only option, for me, is Taco Bell. He is offering unique and creative fillings. How nice would that be to grab a fancy taco on the run?!

And, of course, you cannot snag anything healthy in a drive through, so Compleat is on the top of my list. You cannot find a Southern Indian treat anywhere outside of a big sophistocated city, either. And you can't even find the common Indian fare outside of a sit down restaurant that has huge portions in one dish.

I would love to have more varity outside of sit down restaurants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast