+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

i find the Chipotle guy very annoying...

i mean we get it; you started Chipotle

he has to remind everybody like it's some great restaurant, aint nobody thinking about Chipotle

---

i think the indian guy is just always nervous/timid; his smirks and stuff is just nervousness... he has a problem though because of the whole children and indian food thing... Saucy Balls guy apparently has good food so he just needs ALOT of help from the pros to refine his ideas, he's obviously is not a businessman. The health food girl needs to go, i did like the pita-man thing though. Jimawn needs a signature dish, seems like he just cooks the same thing everyone else does and food been inconsistent

I was sad to see Grillbillies go home. I wish they'd given them a chance to fire the cook (boy was he a jerk!), and let the chick do her thing. I thought it was the best concept remaining. I'm just not seeing the Indian concept work. Seeing the kids reaction pretty much should have solidified that to the judges, so I was a bit surprised they kept him. So glad Saucy Balls name got changed lol. I wanted one of those Turkey Smashballs! It looked really good.

I too, find the Chipotle guy annoying. Every time he mentions Chipotle (which is A LOT lol), I just roll my eyes.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I am disappointed that this show is not more popular. I love cooking and the premise here is on the track to change what food we can get quickly when out doing errands. It will elimate the nuts and hard boiled egg in my purse! I would love to have Chipotle more prevelant and in my stomping grounds. There is one fairly near me but I have to drive to it. It is the best fast food around. Delicious, fresh and does not have that "franchaise taste." Excellent.

I want more of them! I want Spice Coast in my neighborhood! Give me an option when I am out and hungry that isn't MacDonalds or Burger King!! Whine and stomping feet!
    Me too Meee Toooo - I want Spice Coast in my town...or anything like Harvest Sol OR Saints/Sinners done right - but there is too much italian (even without a lot of meatballs) and grilling, and I'm not much into Soul Food.

FORT Fogey

I saw the saints & sinners as big options so you can go with friends who have different tastes and everyone finds soemthing they like - or you can have a saint meal and a decadant dessert!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I'm just not seeing the Indian concept work. Seeing the kids reaction pretty much should have solidified that to the judges, so I was a bit surprised they kept him. So glad Saucy Balls name got changed lol. I wanted one of those Turkey Smashballs! It looked really good.
    I remember growing up with few Chinese, Mexican or other ethnic food anywhere near me...and now they are everywhere. Indian hasn't been done in an easy/on-the-go way, so I think the kids will learn to love it, there are so many different choices, and the samosas could real them in like Egg Rolls do in the Chinese world.

Not all children are raised on McDonalds - nuggets and fries. Our son is willing to try anything and he's been slowly converting his friends to doing the same. They are 8 and 7. He hates McDonalds and fast food fries, says they are disgusting.

Point is that it's all in the focus group selection. Of course if they pick kids who are only used to standard kid fast food, then they won't like anything different. If they had taken the extra effort to throw some mini-foodies in there? Then there would have been different results.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I think the problem with the Indian food was that he didn't make it sound interesting/weird to try. Some kids really go for the interesting/weird foods and would've given more honest responses. There are also some kid friendly options in Indian cuisine, the problem is though that it is more exotic and does take some trial and error to have something for all. I am glad though that the investors are giving him another chance because it is still a unique market.

Not surprised Grillbillies went home. They had been in the bottom two a couple of times and bottom three a few times, so it was time for them to go home. Their style of cooking also isn't that unique, though I liked the idea of cherry cola pulled pork.

The soul food guy - there isn't much children's based soul food too save the basics of chicken and waffles, or stuff already done. I found his attitude of "I shouldn't be in the bottom two," a bit disturbing and it could've cost him this go. I think it helped that the Grillbillies had already been in the bottom earlier on.

As far as Brooklyn Meatball Co. (Much better name and even the uniform fits better... to a point), not surprised he won this one; however, I am impressed he's learning and improving as he goes along. The meal looked very tasty. If he can further improve on his idea (and he can even with a plain meatball), he could actually be a surprise winner. I do think he should try a couple of veggie options that could surprise people in the variety and taste. Black beans with some sort of binder could work.

Health food one is OK, but I do think that she will need to expand a little more or she will not win.

FORT Fan

We had my kids eating Indian food when they were old enough to eat solid food. All 4 of us love it (our kids are 15 and 11 now). I would love to see a Spice Coast restaurant. The only time I have seen a fast food type Indian place was at Grand Central, the train station in DC, the Eastern States Exposition (New England State Fair), etc.

Bobby Flay's daughter was what, 15? She sounded like she was about 25. Scary, lol.

The one guy does remind people constantly that he is the founder of Chipotle. I had never heard of it before this show but looked it up and found there are two within about 15 minutes of here. Decided to check it out yesterday. My burrito was good, but their menu seems limited and they don't give free chips the way Moe's (similar fast casual Mexican) does.

The Chef of Grill Billies was definitely a jerk. If you accidentally spill something on the floor, you apologize and clean it up. You don't kick it! Loser.

I have two kids, ages 21 and 7. Because my mother was a home economics teacher and I cook everything, my kids think it is more normal to eat chicken curry than to eat ham and cheese. Don't get me wrong, Justin eats his fair share of happy-meals (but, I know this won't kill him short term because his brother went through a two year phase and is still 6'2 and 160 pounds.) So, I think Spice Coast is doing a huge disservice to kids by assuming they won't eat (or at least try) flavorful or spicy foods. Both my kids could "out-spice" me both in terms of Indian type spices like curry and salsa type like peppers and cilantro. The reason Bobby Flays daughter did not like it was because of texture.
    ~Mary Esq

Brandon (21) Justin (7) (nope, not a typo)
    B needs positive thoughts and prayers for the MCAT
    J would like to have a pen pal

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    Me too Meee Toooo - I want Spice Coast in my town...or anything like Harvest Sol OR Saints/Sinners done right - but there is too much italian (even without a lot of meatballs) and grilling, and I'm not much into Soul Food.
    Yep. Grilling is everywhere and I live in Florida so it is done 12 months a year in every backyard. Enough already. Flay was into Grillbiillies because that is his deal.

I find Italian food all pretty much the same and mediocre at best unless it is high end and not focused on pasta. Though Joey hit a home run with the smashed turkey meatball, I don't see him winning.

My kids loved Indian food because we did and they were exposed to it. Samosas and Pakoras were their favorites. I get it that this is not the norm but I bet some of those kids would have loved either of these choices. I want a Spice Coast win!

I was glad to see the Grillbillies go. From day one they had no clear plan and never got it. I also did not find either of them compelling. They didn't seem to have much chemistry and definately not on the same page. Not a good business risk, to say the least.

Loved Flay's daughter! Very poised and adorable.

The girl with the healthy food should steer clear of whole wheat pita, it replicates cardboard with astounding accuracy.
    Last edited by shoepie; 04-18-2011 at 08:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread