+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    [snipped]....

Chipotle....as a business model? Solid! As a place to go eat? Disgusting. I like nothing about that place, the food is bland and it's just gross......
    Dang! A Chipotle's is coming to my town (it's just at the approval) stage and I was looking forward to trying it. I'll probably give it a try, anyway. We've got three "mom and pop" taqueria-type small restaurants in town - I hope Chipotle's doesn't hurt them too much.

CrossingGuard - I agree the judges seem to be enamored of Stephanie. Unless she turns things around alot, I'd be very disappointed in the show if she won. After several weeks, she still can't get her concept down. The food would have to be really terriffic to overcome a muddy concept, and her food just hasn't been.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Dang! A Chipotle's is coming to my town (it's just at the approval) stage and I was looking forward to trying it. I'll probably give it a try, anyway. We've got three "mom and pop" taqueria-type small restaurants in town - I hope Chipotle's doesn't hurt them too much..
    I think it's all relative to what is available in the area (we have the very awesome Moe's for TexMex and Plaza Azteca for a pricey Mexican and South of the Border for an affordable and very authentic Latin American). I would prefer the mom & pops, I bet they are much better!

Chiptole's likes to put this weird cilantro lime rice in everything that has tons of onions, it was the grossest thing I'd ever eaten.

What really turned me off them, other than that weird rice, was the carnita's. I am a carnita fiend. I order it anytime I see it on a menu and let's just say that Taco Bell did a better job with their pork tacos.

However, they are hugely popular. I don't get the appeal but different taste buds and all that.

The whole point of this is that whenever I see him (and dude! invest in some chap stick already! The sight of your gross, flaky, red skin around your mouth is really unappetizing) giving a critique on how food should taste, all I can think is how gross the food is in his place. And bam! There goes any creditability he may hold in my eyes.

Plus...you ever notice that Curtis loves to shoot him down? I'm thinking Curtis isn't exactly a fan either.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

I have eaten at Chipotle once. I found it a refreshing change for a quick meal and that in based on what is available here. I have access to the best and most sophistocated New Mexico Mexican food when I visit my son in Taos NM. There is no comparison. Compared to MacDonalds and Steak and Shake? Excellent. I seriosly take nuts and a hard boiled egg if I am going to be out all day because there is no place to grab a quick and decent lunch.

I liked the lime, cilantro rice!

FORT Fanatic

A small Chipolte opened near me about a year ago, and it's wildly popular. There is another one about two miles away (I assume it's bigger). There are now multiple locations around the Northern Virginia area. Service seems slow but you can point and choose to what you want, so that takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150 View Post
    A small Chipolte opened near me about a year ago, and it's wildly popular. There is another one about two miles away (I assume it's bigger). There are now multiple locations around the Northern Virginia area. Service seems slow but you can point and choose to what you want, so that takes time.
    I went to one. Once. It was awful! But then, I really didn't understand how to order and I felt rushed. I'll stick to Baja Fresh for fast-food mex.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Awww...Shoepie! I'm so sorry to hear that! How far are you from Louisiana? You could always take day trips in to the city to feed the foodie in you lol.

Moe's is great for a fast food place. Over here in my part of Virginia, we have quiet the foodies paradise happening. I live in Williamsburg but we spend most of our weekends in Richmond and we benefit from the large DC crowd that lives here and commutes via Amtrack to work for the week. They've seriously upped our dining choices because of how cosmopolitan they are.
    I would never call the DC crowd cosmopolitan in their food tastes. In fact they are are bunch of wimps and afraid of anything that is not meat and potatoes.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I would never call the DC crowd cosmopolitan in their food tastes. In fact they are are bunch of wimps and afraid of anything that is not meat and potatoes.
    LOL! Seriously? Maybe that's because they all live down by my way? At least the adventurous types. Well all I know is the ones that live by us who commute into DC for the week and then come back home on the weekend are very into food.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I went to one. Once. It was awful! But then, I really didn't understand how to order and I felt rushed. I'll stick to Baja Fresh for fast-food mex.
    I love Baja Fresh. Yesterday I googled Chipotle to look at their menu and found out there's one in a mall that's about 15 min away. (Can you guess I'm not a big shopper?) The Yelp reviews were pretty mixed. Anyway, the menu reminded me of High Tech burrito - a small local chain around here - choose type of tortilla, type of rice, type of beans, meat, spice level of salsa - and add condiments. The main yelp complaints were the high cost for what you got, the flavors, and charging $1.65 to add avocado. I'm craving Mexican now...will have to have hubby pick up some tortillas and sour cream on his way home (I've got the meat, beans, and salsa).

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    The main yelp complaints were the high cost for what you got, the flavors, and charging $1.65 to add avocado.
    Yep!

Although I'm not completely sold on Yelp reviews. We took the kid to the National Aquarium in Baltimore and being the foodies that we are, we decided we wanted to try something new and local. So we hit up Yelp and they recommended a place called Pops Taco in the Federal Hill's Cross Street Market. My husband loved it, I hated it. LOL. It is a Chinese / Mexican fusion!

But all the Yelp reviews were glowing!

I'm just not sure I trust the palette and taste level of the genius behind a place that serves...heck...I'm not even sure what to call it. I agree that one huge problem with it is the way things are ordered. They rush you through and you don't really have the chance to decide what you want. Also, he gets on my nerves with his insistence that the contestants do not copy him and yet he is on them all the time to put things in tortillas or something else that they can carry in their hands (the Nam bread).

I agree with Stephanie, that some of us DO take our food back to our desk and eat it at work and not just in the car or walking down the street.

I've heard of Baja Fresh, just never been anywhere that has one.

FORT Fogey

Tonight they all have to create a kids meal and toy to go with it. I am not all that psyched about this since they don't have their regular menu fine tunned yet.

+ Reply to Thread