+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

FORT Fogey

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard View Post
    After weeks of watching this show, I'm calling Stephanie as the winner. I just get that feeling that the judges are swaying towards her idea more than anyone else's. Soul Daddy is possibly a close second.
    I see her in danger. She cannot get her head around fast food and that is the premise of this show. They are looking for good take out options for people on the run. The judges want her to be better because they do like the concept.

Canned green beans. What was he thinking? Just buy whatever vegetable you could get fresh and skip the beans.

Meat ball guy. Oh boy. He is just not doing well and may be next out. How about a varity of meat balls with different sauces and stick to sandwiches on ciabatta or in a dish for those who want to skip the bread? Why is he having so much trouble? If he wanted to expand, offer crustini with different toppings, side of pasta, green salad, and Caprese salad. A plate of spaghetti and meat balls is so common and not easily transported back to work or eaten in a car.

I love Spice Coast and I see him as the winner. It is something new on the fast food scene and has huge possibilities for success. It hasn't been done before. It is new and fresh.

FORT Fogey

I am disappointed that this show is not more popular. I love cooking and the premise here is on the track to change what food we can get quickly when out doing errands. It will elimate the nuts and hard boiled egg in my purse! I would love to have Chipotle more prevelant and in my stomping grounds. There is one fairly near me but I have to drive to it. It is the best fast food around. Delicious, fresh and does not have that "franchaise taste." Excellent.

I want more of them! I want Spice Coast in my neighborhood! Give me an option when I am out and hungry that isn't MacDonalds or Burger King!! Whine and stomping feet!

FORT Fan

I thought Saints and Sinners was a bad idea from the start. Who really wants to admit/own up to eating "decadent" food?? And what fun would it be to sit with very "diet" type food while some at your table are pigging down LOL??

Not to mention that a "happy medium" is better for most I think??? You can always order the burger without the cheese, get the salad instead of potatoes etc.

Plus it didn't seem that Sandy was much of a cook, or had any real ideas.

I think Stephanie is falling behind pretty badly, although I did like her original idea. Her inability to bend or work with the "investors" may lead to her leaving the way the meltworks guy did.

I don't think meatball guy will go much further.

Soul Daddy does a lot of things "right"....but the green beans??

Grill Billies seem to be coming from behind, the pulled pork was a real hit and their food seems to have improved a lot.

However, I think in the end "Spice Coast" guy will be the big winner
    The judges consistently like his food

In the end it really is about taste....they can fix uniforms or signs or decor..but they need food that tastes good and has a true "concept"

I found it very interesting and telling that the judges never ever liked Sandy's food at all. In fact Lorena even said that she had not enjoyed anything that she ever tasted from "Saints and Sinners" !!!

FORT Fogey

I agree that Saints and Sinners was a very bad idea. Get a theme and within that offer foods with a range of calorie counts. Actually, I agree with your entire post! If the interest on this board is an indication of their ratings we wont see another season and that is too bad because it has potential.

I don't think this forum or any are true indicators of the viewing public, the majority of which do not spend their time posting about shows online like the rest of us lol.

Bobby Flay and Curtis Stone have HUGE followings, if nothing alone those two are probably bringing in the viewers. Do they post numbers on this show?

Chipotle....as a business model? Solid! As a place to go eat? Disgusting. I like nothing about that place, the food is bland and it's just gross. Give me Moe's Southwest Grill any day over whatever that slop is they are serving over there.

Now as far as these contestants go, the only one that has me curious is the Indian guy. We are a little family of foodies and we (including our 8 year old son) have all said that we would give his place a try. The others? Are pretty much recycling ideas that have been done to death.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

I am a foodie, as well. The fact that I consider Chipotle as a good fast food choice speaks volumnes about the quality of food you get in the state of Florida! It is diners wasteland.

Awww...Shoepie! I'm so sorry to hear that! How far are you from Louisiana? You could always take day trips in to the city to feed the foodie in you lol.

Moe's is great for a fast food place. Over here in my part of Virginia, we have quiet the foodies paradise happening. I live in Williamsburg but we spend most of our weekends in Richmond and we benefit from the large DC crowd that lives here and commutes via Amtrack to work for the week. They've seriously upped our dining choices because of how cosmopolitan they are.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Awww...Shoepie! I'm so sorry to hear that! How far are you from Louisiana? You could always take day trips in to the city to feed the foodie in you lol.

Moe's is great for a fast food place. Over here in my part of Virginia, we have quiet the foodies paradise happening. I live in Williamsburg but we spend most of our weekends in Richmond and we benefit from the large DC crowd that lives here and commutes via Amtrack to work for the week. They've seriously upped our dining choices because of how cosmopolitan they are.
    I live in southern FL, so good food involves a flight and hotel. Lucky you! I have good weather and fall asleep to the sound of the surf though.

FORT Regular

I love this show. Was sorry to see Meltworks go. Who doesn't love a great grilled cheese sandwich? Especially when you look at all the cheese and bread combos available? Saints and Sinners to me, is a stupid name. It doesn't roll easily. The concept may be alright, but I hate the name. Glad the name Saucy Balls got bounced. I'd never go to a place by that name.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I live in southern FL, so good food involves a flight and hotel. Lucky you! I have good weather and fall asleep to the sound of the surf though.
    And let's don't forget fresh seafood (I have that too but it's still a bonus!). I think the weather and surf are a great trade off. Maybe you could become a restaurateur and open up the types of places you want to eat at!

Key West? Hmmm...don't they have that place with the rocking and out of this world Key Lime Pies? The ones where everybody across the country would die to have in their hometown?

Meltworks - the guy was a DB! I wasn't sad to see him go at all. I think if he were a bit more flexible then he may have gone far.

Indian dude - nobody has mentioned that he is a home cook doing this himself. Didn't he fire his chef and then demote the new one to the role of sous chef? Isn't he pretty much doing all the cooking himself? That is one of the reasons I want him to win. That and his concept is fresh and not done to death already.

+ Reply to Thread