+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

shoe - I don't like curry so that is why I say I don't like Indian food - can't get passed the smell.

My grandmother (as were all my grandparents) was from the Naples area. She always put raisins in the meatballs. My sibs & I loved them however my mother didn't so she left them out.

I like my meatballs made of beef, pork & veal and simmered slowly in sauce until they are tender & delicious. Guess I'm just old-fashioned that way. People who have had mine say they are the best the ever had.
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rozzie17 View Post
    shoe - I don't like curry so that is why I say I don't like Indian food - can't get passed the smell.My grandmother (as were all my grandparents) was from the Naples area. She always put raisins in the meatballs. My sibs & I loved them however my mother didn't so she left them out.

I like my meatballs made of beef, pork & veal and simmered slowly in sauce until they are tender & delicious. Guess I'm just old-fashioned that way. People who have had mine say they are the best the ever had.
    Southern Indian food has many choices, is mostly vegetarian and though has the word curry on the menu in a few dishes, it is not to be confused with the "curry power" taste that is typical Indian restaurant. It is delicious!

Yes, I use raisins in the very rare occasions that I have made meat balls. I do different things with them though. I am not fond of Italian food so I never make anything with tomato sauce. Canned tomatoes don't appeal to me. Just a personal thing. The only canned product I use is coconut milk.

Quote Originally Posted by rozzie17 View Post
    shoe - I don't like curry so that is why I say I don't like Indian food - can't get passed the smell.

My grandmother (as were all my grandparents) was from the Naples area. She always put raisins in the meatballs. My sibs & I loved them however my mother didn't so she left them out.

Can you please post your meatball recipe? I'd love it.
    TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I've never done raisins in meatballs, but it does sound intriguing and I'll definitely have to try that. I make both Italian type meatballs and Swedish meatballs.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I've never done raisins in meatballs, but it does sound intriguing and I'll definitely have to try that. I make both Italian type meatballs and Swedish meatballs.
    The raisins add moisture and depth of flavor. Very good. I serve them in a creamy parmesean sauce that is actually lighter than it sounds, the way I make it anyway.

The raisins plump up and taste yummy. Even though I grew up eating my grandmothers mb's w/raisins I guess my mother's mb's w/o won over. I'll have to add them sometime to surprise my family.

noreality - I really don't have a recipe 'per se' I just do it by feel. I think most people who make old family favorites do it this way. I can tell you I use a combo of mostly beef, pork & veal, eggs, grated cheeses, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, sometimes finely minced onion, seasonings. Depending on the texture I may add a little more liquid like milk if they seem dry. The real secret is letting them cook slowly in the sauce until the sauce runs through. So good!
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

My former roommate uses raisins as well in her meatballs. She chops them up so fine that you wouldn't know they were there, but they certainly help to add a great taste to the meatball. Her pasta and meatballs as well as her mac and cheese and honey bbq wings were awesome!

The Saucy Balls guy drives me crazy. First of all the name really needs to change. It sounds like somewhere that your 11 year old son would keep asking you to take him just so he can get away with saying "Saucy Balls" all day. I do, however, like the thought of the Indian food.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal View Post
    My former roommate uses raisins as well in her meatballs. She chops them up so fine that you wouldn't know they were there, but they certainly help to add a great taste to the meatball. Her pasta and meatballs as well as her mac and cheese and honey bbq wings were awesome!

The Saucy Balls guy drives me crazy. First of all the name really needs to change. It sounds like somewhere that your 11 year old son would keep asking you to take him just so he can get away with saying "Saucy Balls" all day. I do, however, like the thought of the Indian food.

I think we will see a name change on Saucy Balls tonight. Curtis also said he didnt think the limited menu would keep people coming back and I agree. This guy has mafia stuck on his brain and they are going to have a hard time convincing him to change tracks. That is an image that most Italians want to eliminate from the face of the planet!

If this show sees another season it will be better. They always are. Once word gets out, more serious chefs will step forward. Most of these contenders don't know how to cook; they need a chef to create their food. How about a chef to help them, not do it!

I would love to see a chain over here like Richard Harris in New Zealand. It is a brilliant concept. It is cafeteria style. They feature small thin sandwiches sold by the half. They are all made, cut in half and there for you to choose with tongs. The fillings are delicious and perfect when you want a small amount of food or help yoursef to 3 halves, all different, if you choose. They also have scones, desserts and other things, all small so, again, you can indulge in two different desserts or pastries or have just one. Excellent coffee menu too. There is no place left to just have a sandwich and cup of coffee. Everything here in the states is burgers and huge sandwiches of questionable quality.

Or how about a typical French cafe menu for a fast food. So easy to do.

In Barcelona restaurants have sandwiches made on mini baguettes the size of at big cigar but a tad longer. A perfect size for lunch on the fly.

We have so much grilled food, barbeque and heavy choices now.

The woman with the healty choices is on the right track but Flay cannot get her to make a sandwich easily. She is stuck her original idea and not flexible.

I am looking forward to tonight. I think the judges are going to shake them up, or I hope so.

After weeks of watching this show, I'm calling Stephanie as the winner. I just get that feeling that the judges are swaying towards her idea more than anyone else's. Soul Daddy is possibly a close second.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I was sad to see Sandy go, although I totally underdstand why she did. I'm not sure even she was getting her concept completely and it was unfortunate that she got saddled with a poor chef, but she should have recognized that.

Hers was one of the concepts I really liked at the beginning, but it never totally went in the direction I thought it should go. I envisioned on the 'sinners' side, a big juicy chesseburger with sauce and all the fixings and on the 'saints' side a nice ground turkey burger on a whole wheat roll, with lettuce, tomato, and maybe a low-cal 'dressed-up' mayo or something. If I want a burger there are my 2 options- healthy or not healthy at all. I didn't get the mac and cheese on the sinners side and bbq brisket on the saints side. If I'm in the mood for mac and cheese, I am NOT in the mood for brisket. It didn't make sense to me...

+ Reply to Thread