+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

VelvetBex - Indian food isn't uncommon here, but it's nowhere near as prevalent as in the UK. There are at least four Indian restaurants within 20 minutes of me, but they're all "regular" restaurants - no fast food or "fast casual" ones. I think there's a real opening in the marketplace for a chain of Indian restaurants.

I don't have any problem with adding things to grilled cheese sandwiches - I do that all the time to the ones I make. I think it would be pretty boring to have grilled cheese sandwiches only. "Meltworks" doesn't say grilled cheese - I don't see why his concept can't be various sandwiches that have melted cheese in common. I'm not getting Bobby's idea of dipping sauces at all.

Like the rest of you guys, I was glad to see Alex go.

FORT Fanatic

I think Bobby Flay was pushing dipping sauces as a way to keep customers coming back for something different.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    VelvetBex - Indian food isn't uncommon here, but it's nowhere near as prevalent as in the UK. There are at least four Indian restaurants within 20 minutes of me, but they're all "regular" restaurants - no fast food or "fast casual" ones. I think there's a real opening in the marketplace for a chain of Indian restaurants.

I don't have any problem with adding things to grilled cheese sandwiches - I do that all the time to the ones I make. I think it would be pretty boring to have grilled cheese sandwiches only. "Meltworks" doesn't say grilled cheese - I don't see why his concept can't be various sandwiches that have melted cheese in common. I'm not getting Bobby's idea of dipping sauces at all.

Like the rest of you guys, I was glad to see Alex go.
    Southern Indian food is quite different than the usual fare we get all over the US. It is far superior, in my book. I have to drive 2 hours to get it here in Florida. I am going tomorrow; that is how good it is!

I agree with Flay; make a grilled cheese not a melt or panini; they are everywhere. I can think of many variations beyond the common addition of tomato and onion, still keeping cheese the main attraction. I make them myself, all the time. I LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches. Dipping sauces? eh.

Flay is right, Alex needs to open a bar that serves food, not a taco place that has a bar. It costs a million dollars to get a liquor license in Taos NM. Opening a bar is a lofty goal in most towns.

I don't get the dipping sauce idea either. I dip my cheese sandwiches in tomato soup though. But that's really it. I'm really curious as to what sauces they'll come up with. Anyway, I love this show. :-)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray Wonderputt Champion FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MsMamba View Post
    I don't get the dipping sauce idea either. I dip my cheese sandwiches in tomato soup though. But that's really it. I'm really curious as to what sauces they'll come up with. Anyway, I love this show. :-)
    I agree.. Dipping sauce is NOT the way to go with this. We have a place here called Melt Bar and Grilled.. and it is a Grilled Cheese place. Not at all a 'fast food type' but it is ALWAYS packed. You have to wait an hour at 230 in the afternoon to get a table. They have even been on a few food shows.. and they dont have a dipping sauce on the menu. Now, granted, its also a bar, but that is not the hook that brings people back. Im not a Bobby fan, in fact i can't stand him, only reason I watch is for Stone.. but Bobby is WAY off on that idea.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

Bobby Flay is an edgy guy and he edges seem to work on this show, for me. I am also glad to see Stone show some edges. I want reality show judges to be honest and blunt.

FORT Fogey

I was not surprised to see Meltworks go last night. I love the idea of a restaurant serving grilled cheese as a speciality; that is a hard sandwich to find on any menu outside of the miserable coffee shop version.

He wanted to eliminate the classic grilled cheese from his menu? That is nuts. Just leave it on for and option for those who like it! I get it why he didn't get a lot of coins for this. It was the judges choice to taste it but it paled in comparison to the others. The judges were dead wrong about dipping sauces. I can see a creamy tomato dipping sauce to replicate the cream of tomato soup so often paired with it, though. Or just offer and good homemade cream of tomato soup. No one suggested that.

I don't like the Grillbillies but Flay seems to think they have the best idea because grilling is his thing.
    They are in the lead along with Spice Coast. I love Southern Indian food and would love to see him succeed but I didn't like the look of that scanty plate.

Saucy Balls is failing and clearly not a winner. Flay thinks his personality is good? Not for me. And not that crazy about meatballs either

Sinners and Saints. I am shocked that this woman cannot cook, yet wants to open a restaurant. Not being able to make a good burger says it all. What is up with that?

Compleat (I forget her new name) is missing the mark too. I love the idea of getting healthy food fast but she is not making things that call to me. I hate whole wheat pita; no drier bread exists.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I was not surprised to see Meltworks go last night. I love the idea of a restaurant serving grilled cheese as a speciality; that is a hard sandwich to find on any menu outside of the miserable coffee shop version.

He wanted to eliminate the classic grilled cheese from his menu? That is nuts. Just leave it on for and option for those who like it! I get it why he didn't get a lot of coins for this. It was the judges choice to taste it but it paled in comparison to the others. The judges were dead wrong about dipping sauces. I can see a creamy tomato dipping sauce to replicate the cream of tomato soup so often paired with it, though. Or just offer and good homemade cream of tomato soup. No one suggested that.

I don't like the Grillbillies but Flay seems to think they have the best idea because grilling is his thing.
    They are in the lead along with Spice Coast. I love Southern Indian food and would love to see him succeed but I didn't like the look of that scanty plate.

Saucy Balls is failing and clearly not a winner. Flay thinks his personality is good? Not for me. And not that crazy about meatballs either

Sinners and Saints. I am shocked that this woman cannot cook, yet wants to open a restaurant. Not being able to make a good burger says it all. What is up with that?

Compleat (I forget her new name) is missing the mark too. I love the idea of getting healthy food fast but she is not making things that call to me. I hate whole wheat pita; no drier bread exists.
    I could tell by the editing that the Meltworks guy was going home. I too thought it was unfair that that the judges had him put up a plain grilled cheese sandwich against the food of his competitors. The fact that he got a lot more votes when he served the more complex sandwiches shows that the judges are at least partially wrong. I agree that his menu should include a plain grilled cheese sandwich and, while I didn't initially like the dipping sauce idea, I can now see it for the plain grilled cheese. I guess the judges mostly got rid of him because he seemed to not be taking the judges' suggestions.

I agree with you about Saucy Balls, Sinners and Saints, and Compleat/Harvest Sol. I'm not a big fan of meat balls. Sinners and Saints is just a gimmicky concept. Harvest Sol is too vague on concept.

The Soul Food one is okay. There are several individual fast casual soul food restaurants in surrounding towns that I've been to and eat at once in a while.

GrillBillies maybe fills an open niche. There's the Black-Eyed Pea chain that is Southern food, but it's not a fast casual place. I don't think there's any Southern food restaurants around here.

I don't know of any Indian fast casual places, so that would also fill a niche. This is the restaurant I'd be most likely to eat at multiple times because it has no competition (where I live, anyway) in the fast-casual genre.

I can't stand the meatball guy. I'm Italian and I can't stomach people who think they invented Italian. Anyway, I can't imagine those meatballs are better than mine! Meatballs have to cook a long time in sauce and doesn't seem to make sense in a fast-casual rest. Hope he is gone next week.

re: the grilled cheese guy. The judges keep saying that people don't want to go out for something they can make at home. Well, I (as well as 1000's of others) can make a hamburger that tastes 10x better than a McD's but that doesn't hinder their sales. I did like the dipping sauce idea. I also think it needed to be a 'make your own combo' type of place. Pick a bread, one or more cheeses, fillings, sauce.

I think the Spice Coast concept is the best although I don't like Indian food & would never go there. Most americans do like it and I think it could work. I don't see any of the other concepts being unique.
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

FORT Fogey

rozzie17. If you ever come across a Southern Indian restaurant, give it a try. The food is different and delicious!

There are different ways to make meatballs other than his, too. Oprah featured a restaurant in Monticedo CA where people came from all around for the meatballs. They were made out of turkey sausage and deep fried. The were served sitting in a puddle of sauce and did not stew for hours in it. They looked delicious! Lots of good stuff inside including raisins which suprized Oprah because she didnt detect them.
    Last edited by shoepie; 04-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread