+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

Yeah, there could be an almost endless variety of grilled cheese sandwiches. In the first season of Throwdown, Bobby Flay went up against a couple who owned a grilled cheese restaurant. I think Bobby made a grilled brie/apple/bacon sandwich.

I make grilled cheese sandwiches all the time. Sometimes basic, sometimes grilled ham and cheese, sometimes I add grilled mushrooms, tomatoes, or onions (or a combo). Sometimes I spread the inside of the bread with marinara sauce, then have cheese and olives.

The menu could be dual. Customers could either compose their own ordering from a selection of breads, a selection of cheeses, a selection of fruits/vegetables, and a selection of meats; or order from a list of specialty sandwiches. Also offer a basic salad or two and a couple of soups of the day.

The one drawback I see to this concept is that it really seems more like a lunch place and less like a dinner place, whereas I can see having soul food for lunch or dinner, or having meatballs for lunch or dinner.

FORT Fan

I'm glad to see this thread here -- couldn't find it when I first looked for it soon after the first show aired. Will comment on the last couple shows... I too couldn't believe the guy who made the racist comment early on in the first show. Someone posted it on another board and I thought no... maybe they misunderstood. Went back though, and found he did say it. Jerk -- glad he was let go.

I love Indian food and would like the idea of a fast casual Indian restaurant.

Don't like the name "Saucy Balls."

A key objective of "Compleat" was to have nutritious food with set calories. Bobby Flay tells her to forget all about the calories. Uhh, that is supposed to be her main point.

I feel bad for the woman who wanted to give her Chef a second chance. Seems like she has a kind heart. I feel bad for the Chef also as a lot of the blame seemed to be placed on him, but I guess that's how these shows go.

The tacos sound like an interesting idea. I like the grilled cheese idea, and made the same comment to my daughter -- you can easily make a burger at home, yet millions of burgers are sold in restaurants. Not a valid point for the investors to make about how easy it is to make a grilled cheese sandwich at home. Also, he is not making plain grilled cheese but is including variety. I would definitely try out a place like that.

Im all for the indian fast food guy, over in in the UK indian food is HUGE and is versatile for lunch (with dosa wraps, naan breads and aloo dishes) and dinner (curries and rice).

The stirfry idea is good but if she cant cook theres no point.

All of the others dont stand out to me at all, who needs another health food restaurant, taco place or chicken diner.

I think Im missing the grilled cheese thing though as over here you can get 'cheese toasties' in every cafe and diner you go to. But if you cant get it as easily over there, sounds like a good idea!

Love saucy balls name, and I loved tiffinbox...ah well.
    BIG BROTHER INSTANT CELEBRITY MIX- Just add Fame hungry Idiot.

Warning: Effects may not last.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetBex View Post
    Im all for the indian fast food guy, over in in the UK indian food is HUGE and is versatile for lunch (with dosa wraps, naan breads and aloo dishes) and dinner (curries and rice).

The stirfry idea is good but if she cant cook theres no point.

All of the others dont stand out to me at all, who needs another health food restaurant, taco place or chicken diner.

I think Im missing the grilled cheese thing though as over here you can get 'cheese toasties' in every cafe and diner you go to. But if you cant get it as easily over there, sounds like a good idea!

Love saucy balls name, and I loved tiffinbox...ah well.
    You can get any of the dishes at home or at any restaurant around here (other than the Indian food) so it's not so much about doing something different or difficult it's about a concept, executing the concept well and being able to deliver a food item that tastes delicious. Though grilled cheese sandwiches can be found in any family style restaurant here, grilled cheese guy has tweaked the idea so that the grilled cheese is more sophisticated, with multiple choices of cheeses and ingredients. it's not just a slice of cheese on two pieces of bread. He's wowed the crowds and the judges with his sandwiches thus far-so that's saying quite a lot about something as seemingly common as a grilled cheese sandwich. Plus it has builrt in mass appeal. So, I think that's why there's so much positive being said about his idea.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    [snipped] ...A key objective of "Compleat" was to have nutritious food with set calories. Bobby Flay tells her to forget all about the calories. Uhh, that is supposed to be her main point.

I feel bad for the woman who wanted to give her Chef a second chance. Seems like she has a kind heart. I feel bad for the Chef also as a lot of the blame seemed to be placed on him, but I guess that's how these shows go.
    Yeah, I kind of did a double take too when Bobby Flay told the Compleat woman to forget about the calories. But he said it after watching her with her nose in a calorie-count book. I think maybe he was trying to tell her to first worry about getting some good-tasting food and then worry about getting the calorie count down.

I understand the woman wanting to give her chef a second chance. I feel bad when I have to fire someone, but sometimes you have to. I don't think that woman had a clue as to whether her chef was doing a good job or not.

Bobby Flay's been kind of a jerk in this show, huh?

Bummed as I was to see Stephenie change her original idea, I was very happy to see her bounce back and totally deliver on the tasty food. She still has my favorite concept, as well as Sudhir and Sandy. That Saucy Balls guy is just becoming weirder and weirder, though, I hope he goes away soon.

And I'm extremely glad to see that Alex guy get eliminated, he's such an absolutely egotestical, condescending tool and complete jerk the likes of which you rarely encounter and hope you never do. In his exit interview, he said things like these:

"I was pretty shocked when I learned Krystal and Greg don't hook up. Why not? Seems stupid, they could have been best friends, business partners and friends with benefits. I was surprised Woods and Joey made it past me, a KFC/Roscoe's concept and meatballs."

"Stephenie surprised me a lot. She never had a concept. She just changed what she was doing every week to satisfy the investors. Kinda lame."

"Then calling out Fran and Marisa to their faces that they'd be the first two to bounce was pretty awesome as well."

Seriously? I am not going to miss that jackass, hope the door hit his narrow behind particularly hard on the way out.

I haven't watched the latest eprisode just yet, but so very glad to hear that Alex is gone. Guy is a major tool. Could not have happened to a nicer guy.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fanatic

The grilled cheese guy should have jumped on making the sauces for the sandwiches. He's lucky he is still around. When a judge tells you something, do it. Don't just assume you will get to it eventually.

I can't get over the name of the meatball place. Definitely needs a name change.

Wonder if the advisors actually invest their own money or if the food channel pays it in their name?

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    You can get any of the dishes at home or at any restaurant around here (other than the Indian food) so it's not so much about doing something different or difficult it's about a concept, executing the concept well and being able to deliver a food item that tastes delicious. Though grilled cheese sandwiches can be found in any family style restaurant here, grilled cheese guy has tweaked the idea so that the grilled cheese is more sophisticated, with multiple choices of cheeses and ingredients. it's not just a slice of cheese on two pieces of bread. He's wowed the crowds and the judges with his sandwiches thus far-so that's saying quite a lot about something as seemingly common as a grilled cheese sandwich. Plus it has builrt in mass appeal. So, I think that's why there's so much positive being said about his idea.
    That may be true, and be an excellent idea for the US no doubt.

Over here in Europe the cheese Toastie/Croque Monsieur/Kasebrot is already a sort of sophisticated snack with meats,vegetables and different types of bread (Italy is particularly fond of flatbread hot cheese snacks) can be find in many casual cafes and diners with lots of choice. I think we have been spoilt over here as were obsessed with the stuff. A lot of people would see a meltworks as the 'Macdonalds' of cheese and bread and go to bistro or cafe instead.

I appreciate its about concept but I kinda feel if America is missing out on the eastern delights of Indian food, they need to shovel it down their necks pronto.

On a similar note, Chipotle should come over as mexican fast food is very rare here.
    BIG BROTHER INSTANT CELEBRITY MIX- Just add Fame hungry Idiot.

Warning: Effects may not last.

I liked the idea of a grilled cheese place, but then when I saw him putting different meats and veg inside I thought "that's just a panini without the panini press". Friendly's Restaurant calls them Supermelts. I'm glad Bobby Flay mentioned the panini likeness as well, as I'm not sure I now get the 'newness' of the concept either.

+ Reply to Thread