+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

FORT Fogey

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

I love the show so far, and they seem like real people vs. the pro chefs which I like. But what were some of them thinking with what they served - not at all connected to their concept?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    I love the show so far, and they seem like real people vs. the pro chefs which I like. But what were some of them thinking with what they served - not at all connected to their concept?
    Some of the choices were odd. I wondered if any of the decisions were influenced by the money - $500 to make 1000 servings isn't a lot.

that dude was obsessed with whatsherface that got the boot tonite.

i wonder if he'll still act toolish on the next few episodes, it seems like everything was aimed at her since episode 1

i didn't quite catch what he said to her at the end but it sounded like he was wanting her phone number...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
    i didn't quite catch what he said to her at the end but it sounded like he was wanting her phone number...
    Yeah, he was a jerk. He told her if she needed him to bus her balls over the phone he could do so. I guess making reference to the fact that he's been mean to her constantly while she was there.Taco guy is just annoying and got too much of a kick annoying her for a sane well developed man.

But I didn't get her. If my potential investors told me to fire my chef.I would fire my chef. Its that simple. She had a great concept but was out of her league. If there was a wok restaurant that I could go toId be there regularly. Again, I love her concept.

I loved some of the restaurant name changes:
    Limbo to Sinners and Saints (food for your mood)
    Hicks to Grillbillies (urban grilled with southern attitude)
    Wings and Waffles to Soul Daddy
    Tiffin Box to Spice Coast

FORT Fogey

If this gets picked up for another season we will probably see contestants with more on the ball.

They need investors with business sense to make their creative idea a reality but we are not seeing anything close to a creative vision!

Saucy Balls? Really? Meatballs in tomato sause? Who wants that?

The duo with the grill/barbeque/pulled pork are a disaster. They didn't even come with a lame idea! They had no idea.

Having said all of that I enjoy this show and hope it will be better in the future.

I like the name GrillBillies, it sound like it could be a local mom/pop food establishment

problem is that couple couldn't even decide amongst themselves what the concept of the food was and also why anyone would invest

---also i don't think any of these contestants understand that you need to have something different to distiguish you from the million other restaurants

like when the guy came with chicken/waffles, that aint an original idea... i'm glad he changed it

the grilled cheese guy...um how many ways can you make grilled cheese? i mean it'll get to the point where your just selling sandwiches

i think it's like if a contestant says they make good pizza, so what it's a million pizza restaurants already why would these guys invest in it?

the taco thing is interesting, but i think it would get old fast. and if i wanted something that tasted like a cheeseburger, i'd just get a cheeseburger instead of a "cheeseburger" taco

i don't know, they should have structured this competition differently

FORT Fogey

The taco guy seemed to be using boxed hard taco shells. Why not make his own and fry them? Now, that would be something special. My husband and I had a taco stand at a local fair in the early 70's, one time, for fun and to make a hit of money before we started building our house. I made my own shells and back then taco's were hard to come by. It was a raving success! Taco's are common now but no one makes their own tortillas, soft or hard.

In the preview we say Flay commenting on the lack of cheese in his grilled cheese!

The judges seem to think they have a good direction for the Grillbillies but they are having none of it. I find grilled food boring but that may be because I live in Florida and it is always grilling season and it gets old.

A restaurant that lists the calorie count seems like a good idea to me but the judges are not impressed. Flay didnt get it when he suggested to her to forget the calorie count and just make good food. Well, that count is the very foundation of her vision.

I want the Indian restaurant to win and I want one near me soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
    I like the name GrillBillies, it sound like it could be a local mom/pop food establishment

problem is that couple couldn't even decide amongst themselves what the concept of the food was and also why anyone would invest

---also i don't think any of these contestants understand that you need to have something different to distinguish you from the million other restaurants

like when the guy came with chicken/waffles, that aint an original idea... i'm glad he changed it

the grilled cheese guy...um how many ways can you make grilled cheese? i mean it'll get to the point where your just selling sandwiches

i think it's like if a contestant says they make good pizza, so what it's a million pizza restaurants already why would these guys invest in it?

the taco thing is interesting, but i think it would get old fast. and if i wanted something that tasted like a cheeseburger, i'd just get a cheeseburger instead of a "cheeseburger" taco

i don't know, they should have structured this competition differently
    IMO, the grill cheese guy has the best, most marketable idea. Who doesn't love a well done grill cheese? It has universal appeal, hasn't been done yet (unlike 99 percent of the other ideas) and he's tweaked it so well to conform to both the tastes of children and adults due to the wide variety of ingredients(and a wide variety of cheeses) he's incorporated in terms of mixing and matching. It's easy to say "anyone can make a grilled cheese-but anyone can make just about any of the dishes being presented. Although I love the idea of an Indian restaurant, it will have limited appeal.
    Grilled cheeses also have a strong emotional appeal for most people, it brings back warm childhood memories. I can def see a lot of people deciding to try a grilled cheese place over all the other ideas. As I said, it's a new concept with wide appeal.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

FORT Fan

I think I was as confused as most of the contestants ...so I googled a bit and found some facts on "fast casual"...Chipolte, Panera Bread, Panda Express, Moes Southwest Grill, Firehouse Subs?, Five Guys Burgers are all considered Fast Casual plus many many more

they are more upscale than fast food, with higher price points...appeal more to adults, usually have more "upscale' or "urban" decor, and feature "made to order" foods most often cooked/prepared in front of the customer, but NO table service

so that actually lets out some of these ideas. I think most of these places have a fixed, almost limited, menu that may have some seasonal additions. Panera has much larger menu but it is very large, with both a bakery and a food line.

So...I don't see how the "Limbo" or whatever she calls it would work...how could you have meatloaf , prepared 2 ways, just sitting there??? How would a "line' move if someone had to explain every dish so much?? Most of her food seems to be the type that would not be quicly cooked

I also think the Soul Food concept runs into trouble there too...you could have the gumbo precooked but the mac and cheese would be sitting there, the greens would be overcooked if you kept them hot, just too many variables. (also not very healthy and most of these rely on some sort of healthy if not organic feature)

The Indian concept might work BUT some of the dishes would also have to be cooked ahead for hours and if sitting there it would be like any Indian Buffet ....

Looking at it logistically the grilled cheese may well be the best bet here. He could add some meat and cheese sandwiches...like what we call a Patty melt (South Florida)....burger on grilled rye with swiss, etc

The "Compleat" calorie/portion idea would also fit fast casual, I do think she needs to figure out some "flavor" or menu specialties, make it more tasty
    and get more of a theme.

Google fast casual, fast casual top 100....pretty interesting

I was glad to see Wok Girl go home I must say

Quote Originally Posted by estygal4 View Post
    I think I was as confused as most of the contestants ...so I googled a bit and found some facts on "fast casual"...Chipolte, Panera Bread, Panda Express, Moes Southwest Grill, Firehouse Subs?, Five Guys Burgers are all considered Fast Casual plus many many more

they are more upscale than fast food, with higher price points...appeal more to adults, usually have more "upscale' or "urban" decor, and feature "made to order" foods most often cooked/prepared in front of the customer, but NO table service

so that actually lets out some of these ideas. I think most of these places have a fixed, almost limited, menu that may have some seasonal additions. Panera has much larger menu but it is very large, with both a bakery and a food line.

So...I don't see how the "Limbo" or whatever she calls it would work...how could you have meatloaf , prepared 2 ways, just sitting there??? How would a "line' move if someone had to explain every dish so much?? Most of her food seems to be the type that would not be quicly cooked

I also think the Soul Food concept runs into trouble there too...you could have the gumbo precooked but the mac and cheese would be sitting there, the greens would be overcooked if you kept them hot, just too many variables. (also not very healthy and most of these rely on some sort of healthy if not organic feature)

The Indian concept might work BUT some of the dishes would also have to be cooked ahead for hours and if sitting there it would be like any Indian Buffet ....

Looking at it logistically the grilled cheese may well be the best bet here. He could add some meat and cheese sandwiches...like what we call a Patty melt (South Florida)....burger on grilled rye with swiss, etc

The "Compleat" calorie/portion idea would also fit fast casual, I do think she needs to figure out some "flavor" or menu specialties, make it more tasty
    and get more of a theme.

Google fast casual, fast casual top 100....pretty interesting

I was glad to see Wok Girl go home I must say
    ahhh, so that's what it means. I was thinking fancified fast food. You know what's funny is around here all we have is a panera Bread-I have heard of the places mentioned but I had no idea what Chipolte is. I'm just going with my gut, and after reading your explanation I am convinced grill cheese guy will make it to the finals. I think you could add in some simple side dishes tot he mix and have a pretty good thing going- I mean, it's not like you need a million things to accompany the sandwich. People go out to buy a burger (which you can do simply at home) why not a grilled cheese place? And they do taste better when done on a grill as opposed to a pan.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

+ Reply to Thread