+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

I wish Soul Daddy's well. He seems like nice guy. Too bad the judges screwed with his vision by not letting him go with fried chicken. I mean, really! WHY did he have to go the "healthy" route?

Oh well.. I wanted either the grilled cheese or meatball guy to win.

Why can't he offer both fried and baked chicken? I don't understand why they made him stick to the menu from the finale. Is there one good reason why he can't have both? No. Plenty of places offer both fried and baked chicken, heck they even have something called nuggets!

I just don't get. It is not Soul Food without the fried chicken.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

No fried chicken was just for the soft opening. I think he decided to go with Curtis' wishes on that because it was easier than putting another dish on the menu. He was smart to do that. I am willing to bet Flay talked him and the investors into offering both chicken options. Flay missed his fried chicken.

I eat a very healthy diet but when I go out I want forbidden food. I want something I would not make myself. I have made fried chicken a couple of times and it was delicious but way too messy and time consuming. I hate KFC and Popeyes but love a good homemade, buttermilk marinated, authentic piece of fried chicken on occasion. It will not harm you one bit! Well, unless you eat it too much.

FORT Fogey

Is Soul Daddy America's Next Great Restaurant? We ate at the new MOA outpost to find out - Minneapolis / St. Paul Restaurants and Dining - The Hot Dish

Here is a review of Soul Daddy. There is no fried chicken on the menu. The review is interesting. Not bad but no raves.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Is Soul Daddy America's Next Great Restaurant? We ate at the new MOA outpost to find out - Minneapolis / St. Paul Restaurants and Dining - The Hot Dish

Here is a review of Soul Daddy. There is no fried chicken on the menu. The review is interesting. Not bad but no raves.
    I've done a few restaurant reviews and I always wait a bit before reviewing new restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post

I knew there wasn't any fried chicken on the menu. We had discussed the Yelp reviews and that was the number one complaint. People go to Soul Food places for the fried chicken. Yes, by all means show that it can be healthy but also give them what they want.

I always try to order the things with the little hearts on them (LOOK! I'm healthy!) but sometimes I want to be bad. I think they really should offer up the bad choices too.

Edited to add: I just read the review....it sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. I don't know, something about the tone and the comparison to a different place? Seemed odd. I don't think I will put much stock in what that person wrote. However, Curtis Stone was sitting beside one of hte people who ate there! I'd eat slop to sit next to that cutie! LOL

I'm sad for Soul Daddy, I really want his place to do well. It sort of sounds like any nasty ol' mall food court place, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 05-06-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Edited to add: I just read the review....it sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. I don't know, something about the tone and the comparison to a different place? Seemed odd. I don't think I will put much stock in what that person wrote. However, Curtis Stone was sitting beside one of hte people who ate there! I'd eat slop to sit next to that cutie! LOL

I'm sad for Soul Daddy, I really want his place to do well. It sort of sounds like any nasty ol' mall food court place, doesn't it?
    The dig about the investors was unnecessary and as an editor I would have cut it out. A comparison to the fact that this place was different than a local one that makes the same type of food? Probably. Also saying what level this type of restaurant was at would be OK as well. I once compared an Italian restaurant as being in the category of an Olive Garden/Spaghetti Factory so people would know it wasn't a white table cloth high quality ingredients type of place.

FORT Fogey

Bobby Flay was on TV yesterday talking to someone about the Kentucky Derby. He said he favored the horse named Souldat. Pretty close sounding to soul dad.

FORT Fan

I read that review when I Googled Soul Daddy restaurant on Monday. I was kind of surprised how many on-line reviews there were already, but then again, it was featured on a prime-time TV show... I do think the last part was a bit irksome re: the investors would wish they had sunk their money into a local restaurant.

Maybe if enough customers ask about fried chicken, they will eventually add it to the menu. "New for a limited time! Fried chicken!"

Wow, it looks like Soul Daddy is having a hard time. 2 out of 3 restaurants closed.

Reality Show Spawn Soul Daddy Closes NYC Location - Reality Shutter - Eater National
    Soul Daddy Shutters Los Angeles Location, Too - Reality Shutter - Eater National

Also, I hear that the show won't be renewed. That's a shame because I really enjoyed it. :-(

+ Reply to Thread