+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

FORT Fogey

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I think the biggest mistake he made was to let them know he was a venture capitalist. It gave Bobby the ammunition he needed to point out that he has a history of starting up companies and then selling them (or as he worded it, walking away from them).

If he had acted like this was his life passion and threw in a few sob stories? He would have won.

I'm happy for Soul Daddy guy though because I did get the feeling that he needed and wanted this more than the other two.
    I agree and this is exactly why he won. He is going to see this through no matter what it takes and they saw that. It is going to be his life.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I agree and this is exactly why he won. He is going to see this through no matter what it takes and they saw that. It is going to be his life.
    I said almost the very same thing to my husband two or three weeks ago when we realized that he was going to win. Soul Daddy guy WILL make this happen, no matter what it takes, because he has something to lose. Who would you want to invest in? I know which type of individual I'd put my money behind (it's not even a matter of taste or style of place, it's all about who will work the hardest to make more money for you).

Really it came down to that and as soon as I realized it, it was easy to determine who won.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    The judges say that America is not ready for Indian food, I live in SF and I have to say that Indian food is sort of already come and gone.... I can't believe that curry houses featuring the American made Chicken Tikka Masala has not hit middle America yet....btw...I make a killer version of it!!!! There are a few waffle and chicken soul food houses opening up here in SF but nothing too popular yet....I just can't wrap myself eating waffles with fried chicken....though I have to admit I have never tried it. I liked the concept of slicing the waffle in half so that it's not so filling.... So far, I like this show....do you think there will be more of the same? how many investors can be found for this show in this economy?
    Indian food is prevalent all over the country -it's quite easily found in some shape or form, unless you truly live in the middle of nowhere, in which case, restaurants in general are limited. The cuisine isn't considered `new' or out of place.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Indian food is prevalent all over the country -it's quite easily found in some shape or form, unless you truly live in the middle of nowhere, in which case, restaurants in general are limited. The cuisine isn't considered `new' or out of place.
    Indian food can be found in most parts of the country, but not in the "fast casual" category. There's an Indian restaurant in my town and two in the adjacent town, but they're "sit-down" restaurants. I'd love to have an Indian place where I could get a quick take-out lunch or dinner.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Indian food can be found in most parts of the country, but not in the "fast casual" category. There's an Indian restaurant in my town and two in the adjacent town, but they're "sit-down" restaurants. I'd love to have an Indian place where I could get a quick take-out lunch or dinner.
    I agree. Some items in southern cooking are such an easy 'to go' ideas too. They have savory pancakes that are to die for and dosas.

Sudhur said he was going to continue his dream so perhaps another investor will step up and contact him.

We have Indian places too BUT they are all northern Indian cuisine with curry featured very heavily on the menu. Not a single one of them serves what Spice Coast was proposing. While I would have invested in Soul Daddy, I would have eaten at Spice Coast. Personal taste doesn't always add up to where one is willing to put their money. Soul Daddy guy had more drive and passion.

There was this place down home in Louisiana that was a little hole-in-the-wall, it served soul food and even though it was in a bad part of town and you had to worry about whether your car would still be there when you were done eating, the place was always packed. When it burned down after a storm, we all mourned it's loss.

I think that while southern cooking is unhealthy, that the fact that places like Hardees and Bo Jangles/Popeyes that aren't exactly known for having healthy food are so successful that it will do fine.

Checked out some of the reviews for the three locations on Yelp, and while I don't hold Yelp reviews in the highest regard there is something to be said for what the average Joe has to say about these places, especially since that is who will be eating there.

The California location got the best reviews. Perhaps because the "Soul Daddy" himself was at this location. The food, for the most part, well liked at this location. Seemed to be an overall agreement that it lived up to what people thought it would be. Only one reviewer was underwhelmed.

The NY location had the most complaints. Food that dried out under the heat lamps. Portion size was a huge complaint, as was price. Service was up and down depending upon the time you were there.

The Mall of America location suffered from heat lamp complaints as well. Service was appreciated, $2 parking at the mall was not (though that is not the fault of the restaurant).

At all three restaurants the cornbread waffle seemed to be a hit, as were the cheese grits. The biscuits as well. A common complaint seemed to be the oversized wheat bun on the pulled pork sandwiches. Plates seem to average $10 and up for what is described as a small plate of food. The wild rice salad seemed to be well recieved. The ribs, when not under the lamp too long, were described as tender, but again a very small portion.

Seems like perhaps 3 restaurants were to much to handle for a first timer out the gate. The one where he was there to oversee operations seemed to get great reviews, the others, just meh.

It was only day one. Hopefully he will be able to work out the tweeks. Common things to work on, according to the reviews, is to watch how long the food sits under the lamps, portion size, people want fried chicken and waffles on the menu. They like healthy options, but they don't really want the food police around. They want some more traditional soul food out there as well.

I know the area that the NY location is in pretty well. Tons of competition for the food dollar around there. some of those places offer quite a bit of food for under $10, including the beloved fried chicken that they are seeking. He needs to listen to what the customers say and address their concerns if he wants to be around for a while.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

Thanks, KeepItReal.

Sounds like those 2 locations need a better manager.

I would have thought that the "investors" would have more of a hand in it, guess it's just another show where once the competition is over then the winner is tossed out with the rubbish.

I don't blame the Soul Daddy guy, he is inexperienced, I blame the "investors" who should have been there to advise and help him when it came to setting up the three places and managing them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I would have thought that the "investors" would have more of a hand in it, guess it's just another show where once the competition is over then the winner is tossed out with the rubbish.

I don't blame the Soul Daddy guy, he is inexperienced, I blame the "investors" who should have been there to advise and help him when it came to setting up the three places and managing them.
    It takes awhile even for a seasoned pro to get a new restaurant rolling and work out the kinks and get good staff in place. They very well may be on it and working to improve. Chipotle started with just one restaurant. When that was a success with all it takes to get it there, he went on to open more. 3 at once is a big deal.

+ Reply to Thread