+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

The judges say that America is not ready for Indian food, I live in SF and I have to say that Indian food is sort of already come and gone.... I can't believe that curry houses featuring the American made Chicken Tikka Masala has not hit middle America yet....btw...I make a killer version of it!!!! There are a few waffle and chicken soul food houses opening up here in SF but nothing too popular yet....I just can't wrap myself eating waffles with fried chicken....though I have to admit I have never tried it. I liked the concept of slicing the waffle in half so that it's not so filling.... So far, I like this show....do you think there will be more of the same? how many investors can be found for this show in this economy?

Since the show only has 3 contestants left and they are opening 3 locations do you think there is any possibility that there will be 3 winners ? I just don't see how if a winner has never worked in a restaurant then how will they award someone all 3 locations. I could see that each of the 3 finalists get matched up with one of the judges as a mentor and then they get help to open the restaurant. I have enjoyed this show but as a former waitress I have a real problem with working with anyone that has no kitchen or front of the house experience. That is the reason that I did like the lady that had the sinners and saints restaurant idea. The only thing that I disliked is when they had a couple of the food challenges outside. Why did they not provide some shade for the contestants and also some sunscreen. One more thing that creeped me out was the lips of the guy who started Chiptole. Upthread someone else mentioned that it bothered them also. Anytime the camera was on him I stopped listening to him and just stared at his peeling lips.

FORT Fogey

The Spice Coast guy did show flexibility and made some changes. Their reservation is, will he follow through and actually enjoy running the restaurants and stick with it since his job now is about helping businesses get started. Soul Food guy has fire in his belly and that is a good sign that he is willing to do whatever it takes to make it work. It is his dream, his life and his future. That is why he will win.

Indian Food is prevelant in New England. I don't know about the middle but it is definately on the edges. You don't see a lot of Southern Indian food, though.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by FlyAKite View Post
    Since the show only has 3 contestants left and they are opening 3 locations do you think there is any possibility that there will be 3 winners ? I just don't see how if a winner has never worked in a restaurant then how will they award someone all 3 locations. I could see that each of the 3 finalists get matched up with one of the judges as a mentor and then they get help to open the restaurant. I have enjoyed this show but as a former waitress I have a real problem with working with anyone that has no kitchen or front of the house experience. That is the reason that I did like the lady that had the sinners and saints restaurant idea. The only thing that I disliked is when they had a couple of the food challenges outside. Why did they not provide some shade for the contestants and also some sunscreen. One more thing that creeped me out was the lips of the guy who started Chiptole. Upthread someone else mentioned that it bothered them also. Anytime the camera was on him I stopped listening to him and just stared at his peeling lips.
    They've said all along that the winner will get a chain of 3 restaurants. That being said, my ideal outcome would be for the Indian guy to win, and for one or more of the investors to invest in a restaurant for the meatball guy and the soul food guy in their hometowns. Then if they made a success of their solo restaurant, they could think about expanding.

I don't live near any of the 3 locations but if I did I am not interested in eating at Soul Food. All I think of is greasy, fried and heavy food. I was really rooting for Spice Coast to win. Well, by the few postings that this show has received it may not be around for another round but at least these people got a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyAKite View Post
    I don't live near any of the 3 locations but if I did I am not interested in eating at Soul Food. All I think of is greasy, fried and heavy food. I was really rooting for Spice Coast to win. Well, by the few postings that this show has received it may not be around for another round but at least these people got a chance.
    Really, Soul Food won? Something full of fat, grease, and honestly isn't really all that new, refreshing and has been at times seen as a stereotype won?

I was rooting for one of the other two myself.

Sadly, Soul Food will most likely not last for very long because anyone can make soul food, and there are other high fat comfort food restaurants out there.

I know meatballs... not really new, but you can do variations of them and they're something people will go out for. Not many people know how to make meatballs and there is a way to make something for everyone - including vegan and heart healthy options.

Indian food, the moment they said that kids wouldn't go for it I knew it was doomed. That said, I applaud him for being creative and trying.

FORT Fogey

Well we all called that one. He put a healthy spin on his soul food. I am not sure what that means other than substituting baked chicken for fried. Curtis commented that the meal was heavy as it was and glad he did not offer fried chicken. Flay wanted a piece of fried chicken. I say, why not offer both. KFC is going strong.

If I lived near one of the restaurants I would definately try it once but it is not a catagory of food I love. Bisquits are high in carbs and fat, collard greens, also fatty, are not a favorite green of mine and baked chicken is something I cook frequently. In a restaurant I go for things I do not cook myself. And for me that would be Spice Coast.

The biggest mistake the Indian man made was not showing passion. It is a cultural thing. The mistake of having taco, quesadilla and carnitas on the menu was easily corrected.

I thought the interior of the real Soul Daddy paled in comparison to the purple he had chosen for his mock restaurant. It looked very generic with no punch.

FORT Fogey

I enjoyed this show and would love to see another season. However, if we are to believe that these chefs are really backing this guy how much more money is available to back another? I assume the network is a silent partner. Perhaps another group of chefs gather with the same goal. That would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    The biggest mistake the Indian man made was not showing passion. It is a cultural thing. The mistake of having taco, quesadilla and carnitas on the menu was easily corrected.
    I think the biggest mistake he made was to let them know he was a venture capitalist. It gave Bobby the ammunition he needed to point out that he has a history of starting up companies and then selling them (or as he worded it, walking away from them).

If he had acted like this was his life passion and threw in a few sob stories? He would have won.

I'm happy for Soul Daddy guy though because I did get the feeling that he needed and wanted this more than the other two.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fanatic

I missed about the last minute but heard that apparently the winning restaurant announcement actully happened 10 months ago. Why don't they open just one restaurant and open the others gradually?

I think the meat ball guy will succeed eventually. Someone will decide they want to invest in him.

+ Reply to Thread