+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: America's Next Great Restaurant

FORT Fogey

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

Woodlands USA: Fine Indian Vegetarian Restaurant & Dining

This link will take you to 3 Southern Indian restaurants in Florida. Click on menu.

Now that Stephanie is gone and looking at who is left, I think meatball guy may be in trouble next week. I just don't see them investing in the concept. Too many Italian places almost everywhere you turn. Don't think they're going to go for it in the end.

They do love Soul food guy don't they? Thng is, as some have expressed concern about before, soul food has the reputation of being quite unhealthy. I just get the feeling that the Indian food guy is going to take this.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Southern Indian food is delicious and very different. I have not had the opportunity to eat it enough for my liking, so it is hard for me to describe. They have savory pancakes (yum!), delicious soups, dosas and things that go over rice that they call curries, I think, but not to be confused with the Northen dishs that we get everywhere. It is usually vegetarian. Nothing is the same on the menus.

I see the Soul Food guy winning. They like him personally, see his intense passion and enjoy his food. What more do they want? They have reservations about Sudhur. It was interesting to learn that his business is helping new businesses get started. That bothers Flay. There is also the issue of the food being unfamiliar to the majority.

I want Spice Coast in my neighborhood!

Stephanie has been lame from the first show and seemed even worse last night. How did she even get on this show? Confusing lamb with veal astonished me. Anyone setting out to create a restaurant needs to know basic things!
    I agree - Soul Food will likley win... but Indian food is the next great thing to hit the restaurant scene. We have so many fabulous Indian places where I live .... just love it!

My husband and I have been saying from the very beginning that there were only two horses in this race, Soul Daddy and Spice Coast. The others are just fillers. I have no idea which one the "investors" will choose in the end though. I want them to choose Spice Coast but they may go for the sob story/less threatening food choice.

(By less threatening I mean that as chefs, etc, they can be snobs and will think that America isn't ready to broaden their horizons and will choose something more "comfortable" and "recognizable").
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

I think that you're right about the final 2. I think Soul Daddy's is going to end up winning, but not for any of the reasons you've given. It seems like they've gotten rid of a lot of people for not being willing to bend to the investors suggestions. The Spice Coast guy has been criticized for that a few times. I think the guy behind Soul Daddy's has shown the most willingness to make adjustments based on the feedback. He's got a passion for what he's trying to do, but is willing to listen to the investors, and accept that they know more about a lot of things than he does. I think the investors are giong to feel more comfortable giving that guy their money, and feeling like they'll still be heard.

I think Meatball guy needs to expand his meatballs. Last week on Top Chef Masters their entire Quickfire challange was to make their best meatball (and they had to grind the proteins themselves with a hand grinder). If Joey is going to just do meatballs then your plain "Grandma's Meatball with Sunday Sauce" and "Turkey Meatballs" are going to get boring an old. I haven't really seen him make much else other than those things. I think he could be the winner if he expanded his Meatballs into other kinds, such as Thai Meatballs, Veggieballs, Cajun Meatballs, Mediterranean Meatballs etc, etc. He could add IttyBitty Balls for the kids too. This would please the judges as being definitely something different in fast food and also able to please the masses as having something for everyone. Obviously his food scope is Italian, but with the right chef(s), he could make it happen.

FORT Fogey

I think Joey (meatball guy) is definately leaving next. They have always had concerns about his limited concept and this week his meatballs failed. This inconsistancy is not good this late in the game.

I agree that soul food has a reputation for being heavy, greasy and not healthy but he wins more tokens than the healthier choices. The investors are looking at what people want, closely.

I agree with you, Joey's meatballs are going next. He seems a bit confused, he is trying to sell his grandma's traditional meatballs, yet he makes his meatballs from 100% ground turkey breast. Ground turkey breast can be sooo dry and I seriously doubt grandma made her meatballs from 100% white turkey meat.

I know this has nothing to do with it but omg, his mouth drives me nuts, it's like his teeth are too big for his mouth...

Soul Food Daddy needs to get a little bit more organized and focused before he opens.....

I say Spice Coast all the way!!!

So after watching the last episode:

Soul Daddy is winning. He has the sob back story. He works with the judges. He is very likable. He has a product that "translates across diverse markets". When I heard that comment? I knew he was going to win.

I will be very surprised if he doesn't.

Consider the damning comments given the Spice Coast guy. "His food doesn't translate." "He starts up businesses and walks away from them." "He think he has no flaws."

Yeah...that last one wanted me to smack Curtis. Curtis, you nitwit, you asked a specific question "Do you think you have a weakness in regards to this challenge." To which he replied "No, not that I can think of." He never once said "I have no weaknesses! I am flawless!" And yet Curtis took it that way after a very leading question, what an idiot (my son calls them idioms because he thinks it's funny to say a word so close to idiot without actually saying idiot).

The judges will claim that America is not ready for something like Indian food, that our taste isn't refined enough, that it's too exotic. The judges have no clue what is trending in America at the moment. Steve (Chiptole guy) sort of surprised me with his comment about healthy food being something America is going towards (I can't remember the way he worded it) but it was the first time I saw even a glimmer that any of these dorks have a clue what America is eating.

No. We are not all fast food junkies with a twinkie shoved into our mouths while holding a big mac in the other. Many of us are gravitating towards healthy, sustainable and/or locally grown foods. Many....not all....but as the leaders start going then the sheep will follow. Soon it will be the norm.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    I agree with you, Joey's meatballs are going next. He seems a bit confused, he is trying to sell his grandma's traditional meatballs, yet he makes his meatballs from 100% ground turkey breast. Ground turkey breast can be sooo dry and I seriously doubt grandma made her meatballs from 100% white turkey meat.

I say Spice Coast all the way!!!
    If you make turkey meatballs you have to use turkey sausage alone or mixed with ground turkey that is not all white meat. He made them with 100% white meat, big mistake. This shows that he does not know much about food. He also thinks Sunday sauce is a big deal, whatever that is.

And as we have said before, Italian food is everywhere.

There is a calzone restaurant in Amherst MA that is delicious beyond belief. That is all they sell and the variety is vast. They make their own bread and it is thin, crusty with a great texture and yeasty flavor. THAT would be fabulous.

+ Reply to Thread