+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extreme Makeover-Episode Four, Bright Smiles; Big Titties

FORT Fogey

Beauty is a beast

Feif, you do such a great job with these recaps that I only watch my tape of it to see if THEY left anything out.

It's gratifying to see people transformed like that but I am asking myself, does it send the right message? Sure, there are these cases where changes are needed to give self-confidence to someone who has felt bad about their looks and has suffered as a result. However, most people cannot afford thousands (at least five figures) of dollars worth of enhancements, lifts, augmentations, and liposuction and have to deal with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, I just wonder how many people get frustrated watching this show and end up feeling bad about themselves?

CaliGirl, I bet more people watch the show and feel hopeful that they might one day find their own self confidence with or without the surgery. Who knows; some of them might just go out and try a different hair style or color. Maybe they will simply start taking better care of their teeth.

I think that the show demonstrates how you can reclaim your sense of unique self by changing your mindset. These people have obvious outward change, but several have commented on how they have changed inwardly. The big message is that you are not stuck or afflicted by your looks. You can move beyond your appearance either by changing it or accepting it. Plastic sugery is not for everyone. Any good doctor has had to turn away hopeful patients that had the wrong idea about what the procedures could do for them.

Extreme Makover has shown some pretty drastic changes. I think it is wonderful that there is something we can do about our looks if we do not like them. As long as beautiful young men and women adorn the covers of our magazines and prance across our TV screens how could we judge someone for wanting to change their appearance. It seems like a double standard. Are we sending the wrong message? No. It has already been sent and understood loud and clear. Now people are responding to it in a way that benifits them. We can not undo what has already been done. We can only move forward and make the best of what we are delt. Some only need to apply lip gloss to feel beautiful. Some might need a little more help that the gloss can't provide.
    Last edited by Feifer; 05-19-2003 at 09:58 AM.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

FORT Newbie

Episode #4

The entire makeover experience was a positive one. Thanks for a positive article.

Karen Richardson
    AKA the Bride
    Episode #4

Karen, I'm so happy you signed up just to comment on Feifer's recap! You look amazing, and I'm glad you were willing to do that on TV to inspire others.

Re: Episode #4

Originally posted by karen richardso
    The entire makeover experience was a positive one. Thanks for a positive article.

Karen Richardson
    AKA the Bride
    Episode #4
    Karen, Thank you so much for stopping by FORT and taking the time to post in this forum. I am glad that you enjoyed your experience and this article. I hope you will take a look around as you are sure to find something that interests you here at fansofrealitytv.com. Welcome to our community of thoughtful, bright, well spoken people.

What a beautiful wedding and a stunning bride!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12