+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: An Idiot Abroad

An Idiot Abroad

Is anybody watching this? Ricky Gervais sends his friend, Karl Pilkington, on a trip around the world. Karl's supposed to be the idiot, but he's hilarious and kind of sweet.

http://science.discovery.com/tv/an-idiot-abroad/
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Kiz

Re: An Idiot Abroad

My son is visiting, and he had me watch an episode last night on OnDemand. Karl was visiting China, and he was very funny. He does a good 'fish out of water'.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Ricky, Steven Merchant and Karl have been friends for years and have co-produced/written many projects together. Ricky always talks about Karl in his stand-up. It's obvious that Ricky isn't making anything up when he talks about Karl. My favorite Karl quote is about giraffes: "Why didn't evolution give them genes to make them good at carpentry then, so they could build a ladder instead of growing long necks?"

The part in the China episode where Karl was watching the girl eat those scorpions was hilarious! I was horrified too, but his comments had me in tears laughing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4186914;
    Ricky, Steven Merchant and Karl have been friends for years and have co-produced/written many projects together. Ricky always talks about Karl in his stand-up. It's obvious that Ricky isn't making anything up when he talks about Karl. My favorite Karl quote is about giraffes: "Why didn't evolution give them genes to make them good at carpentry then, so they could build a ladder instead of growing long necks?"

The part in the China episode where Karl was watching the girl eat those scorpions was hilarious! I was horrified too, but his comments had me in tears laughing.
    I had never seen Karl before the China episode and OMG, he's exactly as Ricky Gervais describes!!! Karl's reaction to the food in China was hilarious -- watching the girl eat the scorpions was so adorable, but his reaction to having to eat the frogs --- and then, that sweet little lady feeding him the frog bites with poor Karl gagging with every bite --- PRICELESS!

I love that his reason for not wanting to go to China was because he might have to eat something like toad and, if he liked it, he wouldn't be able to get it when he got back home! You KNOW Ricky and Steven set it up so he'd have to eat toad!

Karl seems to be one of those people who looks at the world in a completely different way. I can see why Ricky and Steven want to send him on this trip. It's just good TV!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Kiz

Critical, I was going to comment on the toad too!! That was absolutely hysterical. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite scene, but that one and Karl watching the girl eating the scorpions, that Imperfect mentioned, would be top contenders.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

MRD

I would like to see some of the shots of Ricky and Steven seeing the footage of Karl because you know in some cases their reactions have to be hysterical.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4191709;
    I would like to see some of the shots of Ricky and Steven seeing the footage of Karl because you know in some cases their reactions have to be hysterical.
    Totally Ricky has one of the best laughs. I'd love to see, rather than just hear, his reactions to Karl.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I love each of them individually... but together they're just fabulous IMO

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

On the Ricky Gervais Show the conversation turned to stick insects. Karl theorized that insects that look like sticks and leaves were created by insects mating with plants. Ricky had to explain about camoflague.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast