+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are? (TLC)

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

if you go to the ancestory.com page they place the ad for the dna test I did it when it was $99 bucks so keep a eye out.

Like I said I was shocked by my dna but my daughter's dna was even more shocking to find out she has Persian/Turkish/Caucasus in her that must be from her biological father because I am all European and british Isles it those little things that make your mind think. just like the title reads "who do you think you are?"

If you have a male family member to take the test(s), that's a better option. Men carry more ancestral DNA than women do. If you look at the info on ancestry.com, you can check it out. There are, IIRC, two separate tests - one for maternal DNA and one for paternal.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think all my ancestors on both sides come from England and Ireland, but I'm not positive.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Call me a big baby, but when Christina Applegate's dad found out his mom bought him a burial plot, I lost it. I hate to cry at tv shows, but good lord, I couldn't keep it together.
    GabbyG and Moontat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Call me a big baby, but when Christina Applegate's dad found out his mom bought him a burial plot, I lost it. I hate to cry at tv shows, but good lord, I couldn't keep it together.
    Me too! What a touching story, and what a lovely man. I have new respect for Christina Applegate, as well.
    Moontat likes this.

OMG! That was a three tissue episode for me. I was weaping and not just at the end! How touching. That story needs to be made into a movie! Let Christina play her grandmother! Wouldn't that be a great story! Although, it didn't go very far back in time, it was my favorite one yet!

I bet if she wanted to, she could find more about Lavina. Certainly there are still neighbors or family members of her second husband who recall the 1950's and the time of her death. I bet they could fill in those blanks.

FORT Fogey

I'm very stoic when it comes to crying over movies or TV, due to growing up with a sister who downright bawled at shows that wouldn't cause most people to sniffle--and even I started to lose it when they showed the monument with the inscription: "Mom, I found you."

I didn't have much of an opinion one way or another about Christina Applegate before, but I really admire how she handled such a difficult situation and how she told her father that the good news at the end of all of that sadness was that he broke the cycle and his kids didn't have to go through what he did as a child. She was just so gracious and loving and really, pretty non-judgmental about the whole thing, despite the fact that it had to be hard to read such damning things about both her grandparents, even if she never knew them.

One thing I like about this show is that it doesn't shy away from the fact that not everything you might dig up by doing genealogical research is going to be sweet or comforting. I appreciate that honesty. Speaking of which, it looks like next week's episode with Chelsea Handler could be another one where uncomfortable information comes to light.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia View Post
    if you go to the ancestory.com page they place the ad for the dna test I did it when it was $99 bucks so keep a eye out.

Like I said I was shocked by my dna but my daughter's dna was even more shocking to find out she has Persian/Turkish/Caucasus in her that must be from her biological father because I am all European and british Isles it those little things that make your mind think. just like the title reads "who do you think you are?"
    Just as a sort of bizarre side note, you can also do an "ancestry" test for a dog for $99, if you have a mutt and are curious about what he or she actually is. I've always owned mutts, but I don't much care what their exact breeding was/is, though I do get tired of people insisting on knowing what the breed is when I have no way of knowing what the breed of a stray I rescued from a shelter is. I'm toying with telling people my most recent rescue is a Shelterrier, since he appears to be part sheltie and part some sort of terrier (and at least that way the first two syllables would be correct, as he came from a shelter). Someone else suggested I go with Royal Shelterrier, because if you put royal in front of it, people will just assume it must be a breed.
    Moontat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm very stoic when it comes to crying over movies or TV, due to growing up with a sister who downright bawled at shows that wouldn't cause most people to sniffle--and even I started to lose it when they showed the monument with the inscription: "Mom, I found you."

I didn't have much of an opinion one way or another about Christina Applegate before, but I really admire how she handled such a difficult situation and how she told her father that the good news at the end of all of that sadness was that he broke the cycle and his kids didn't have to go through what he did as a child. She was just so gracious and loving and really, pretty non-judgmental about the whole thing, despite the fact that it had to be hard to read such damning things about both her grandparents, even if she never knew them.

One thing I like about this show is that it doesn't shy away from the fact that not everything you might dig up by doing genealogical research is going to be sweet or comforting. I appreciate that honesty. Speaking of which, it looks like next week's episode with Chelsea Handler could be another one where uncomfortable information comes to light.
    An excellent episode last night. I was never a big fan of Christina's until the last couple of years. I really like her.

Next week looks like it is going to be somewhat brutal.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Are you serious about the dog breed DNA test? Great idea. I'd do it. I had a stray once that was such a beautiful dog. I adopted her and she was much like my child. Everyone asked what breed she was. She was so lovely. Parts of her were like a collie, parts like a golden retriever, parts like St. Bernard. I always wanted to know. Sadly she's gone now.

+ Reply to Thread