+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are? (TLC)

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I was surprised they only did one ancestor last night. I couldn't remember an episode where they did that before. Stayed on one side of a family, yes, but never just one ancestor. But I find Civil War stuff interesting, so I was okay with it (though I couldn't believe Kelly Clarkson had never heard of Andersonville prison camp and didn't know what temperance was).

I don't particularly care who the celebrity is, however. The ancestors, the ones whose stories are being told, are whom interests me. Well, that and the history they cover through the prism of those ancestors.

I have heard about Andersonville since I was a kid. Then again, I am a big history buff and read Gone with the Wind when I was in 6th grade.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Personally? I really prefer the common man stories. I like hearing about what amounts to real life. I was fascinated with the portion of my husband's tree that told the story of how they moved west from Jamestown and wound up being one of the founding families in a part of Texas (trying to keep it as nonspecific as possible lol).

His family tree does have Kings, Queens (Mary Boleyn most notably), and even Roman Emperors.

Mine does not, lol, I joke around that I married "up" and "above my station".

But to be honest? The reason why my family tree only consists of sugar planters in the islands is because I'm half Cuban and I can't trace the family line past my grandparents on my dad's side. The other side? From Galicia part of Spain and I can't go further back than the 1800's unless I took a trip to Spain. Being how I'm neither rich nor famous, that's not going to happen.

So. I really like shows where they get to travel to other countries and do the things I wish I had the money to do.

I'm looking forward to more shows and hopefully learning more.

It was because I started watching this show last year that I did the family tree in the first place. I even printed it out (along with all the photos I found) and put it in a binder for our son to have when he is older.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I don't particularly care who the celebrity is, however. The ancestors, the ones whose stories are being told, are whom interests me. Well, that and the history they cover through the prism of those ancestors.
    My thoughts exactly! They could really just pick random people off the streets and I'd watch it. I'm ambivalent on Kelly Clarkson (good voice and all, but not my style of music), but I appreciated what seemed to be genuine excitement about learning her family history. And I did chuckle a bit at her relief that her ancestor was on the Union side. So much the opposite of Paula Deen.

I just watched the David Tennant episode of the UK version and was reminded of the biggest differences between the US and UK versions of the show....

With the US version, the goal is to find some ancestor who can validate the celebrity's own qualities OR give them something to be proud of. Very American in that. Our ancestors just HAVE to have possessed qualities they passed on to us AND they have to be brave or driven in some way.

With the UK version, there's much more of an attempt to place the ancestor(s) within a historical context and there's a lot more historical information given during the episode. Plus, they do tend to cover more of the family tree than the US version. Each of the UK episodes is just about an hour long and that's without commercials, so you get at least 10 more minutes of show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched the UK version of Jeremy Clarkson and the guy that play the campaign manager on the good wife and I have to admit they were very good episodes!

I do enjoy this show and so happy it's back on -- I have never heard of the prison camp in Georgia so I was intrigued by it. Looking forward to next weeks episode that looks really good!!!

I really enjoyed the show on Kelly Clarkson, but I've been a fan of her since American Idol days. She's quirky, but it's okay, because I think she's a good person.

I'm inspired to start the trace of my mom's side of the family. A few of us on my dad's side have traced his ancestors for about 8 years. I think quite a few people from the south have a civil war leader in their background and so does my family. I guess I could go further with that too.

It would have to be some celebrity that I really detest for me to not watch this show, such as Chris Brown or Kim Kardashian.

I love Kelly too I voted for her on American Idol and so happy she won and has made a great career out of it. Lucky girl to be honest!

I could careless about the Kardashians and their family history. There are a few others I hope they never cover but I would love to have an episode or two on some normal people I know it would not be as exciting, but to have a professional working with you and help you unlock secrets of your past to me would be breathtaking (ok I am a geek here). I get so fascinated by the "older" people in the family tree and how they lived and everything.

Has anyone ever done the ancestory.com DNA test they have on their site? I have to admit I did it was for me, my husband and my daughter (my daughter is from a previous marriage and I have no clue about her father's side except for some old obits and hearing stories since we do not speak to them) boy I was surprised with the results for all of us. I know I will have to travel to Hungary eventually to meet family (I guess someone has to do it -- :-) why not me!) so it would be cool to do that and visit the old Country.
    GabbyG and Debb70 like this.

How much does the test cost? Sounds like a good idea. I may check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    How much does the test cost? Sounds like a good idea. I may check it out.
    My sister did it. I think she said it was like $149 and up depending on how much info you want
    Debb70 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread