+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are? (TLC)

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't think he had any Bulgarian heritage. He was born in a village in northern Greece. During the 40's, the area in Greece where he was born was occupied by Bulgaria and considered to be part of the Bulgarian state. He moved to Bulgaria as a young man and fought in the Bulgarian army until he was imprisoned for 2 years.
    I did a search on the ethnicity of Rita's father. He's listed as Bulgarian Muslim. Also, in Rita's wikipedia entry, she's listed as someone of Greek descent and Bulgarian descent. Rita's father's real name was Ibrahimoff. Plus, Rita's mother was raised in an ethnic Greek area in present-day Albania, so Rita's father could have been an ethnic Bulgarian who happened to be born in Greece! From what I saw on the show, they weren't that specific about his ethnicity... but to me he seemed to likely be of Bulgarian descent. We can just agree to disagree.

Does anyone other than me sense a movie in the making? All the elements are there with the heart rending story of a young man's struggle during the years of communist oppression. Two film makers in the family...sounds too good to pass up.

Thanks, Critical for having better ears than me.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

They aired the Lionel Richie episode again. On many of the shows, they show the celebrity talking to a historian at the local library. I got an e-mail from my local library, which had a beginning genealogy research class. I think there was a fee to attend. It must be common for public libraries to have genealogy experts.

I have not seen the lionel richie episode until the other evening....that was a very good episode....looking forward to rob lowe's episode next week!

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    They aired the Lionel Richie episode again. On many of the shows, they show the celebrity talking to a historian at the local library. I got an e-mail from my local library, which had a beginning genealogy research class. I think there was a fee to attend. It must be common for public libraries to have genealogy experts.
    Many libraries have historians on staff, if not genealogists. I know that my hometown library houses the county genealogical society. It's amazing how much information is available in person in your community. You just have to know where to look for it!

Up next week is Rob Lowe. Then we have (in no particular order) Jason Sudekis, Rashida Jones and Paula Deen, the only episode I'm not looking forward to. Just don't like her.

Even though we had twice as many episodes this season, it still feels like it went by really fast!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I had missed his episode also and I thought it was really good...this is one of the few reality shows I actually like and find very interesting
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

Did they make an exception in Rob Lowe's case... and invite him to join the sons of the American Revolution because he happens to be a celebrity?

FORT Fogey

I really didn't understand the whole ending. His 5-times great-grandfather was proclaimed a patriot after all because he paid taxes that helped fund the American side in the Revolutionary War? I thought Rob Lowe said that Christopher East fought on both sides. How is that fighting, unless the term is applied very loosely. Maybe I missed something. I tend to zone out when I lose interest, which I did towards the end. I wonder how much work it takes to produce each show, having to find something interesting about at least one ancestor of the celebrity. Some of these are more interesting than others.

The DAR admits patriots who supported America either militarily or as a civilian, if you can prove it. Obviously, it's easier to prove the military service. I think Rob just said "fought" but I don't think that was true. He did stay in the country and supported the country by his tax dollars and it sounds like that's enough for the DAR and the SAR. He did fight in the American Revolution, just on the other side. It never occurred to me that soldiers who fought for the British might have stayed here after the war.

I actually could be in the DAR, although I haven't gone through the steps to get admitted. One of these days....

This episode reminded me of the UK episode with Jodie Kidd in that everywhere Rob went, he looked like a superior breed of human. He is just SO much better looking than pretty much everyone! He also seems like just a really nice person. I was really touched by his excitement about the whole process and what he found. I had to chuckle when he exclaimed "Holy Toledo!" about the family tree!
    GabbyG likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am incorrect I had read an interview that some of the episodes they have been working on for as long as two years -- I believe Rob Lowe's was one of them....not sure where I read it. I think they have the stars already lined up in my opinion.

I thought Rob's was pretty good....I don't know who rashida jones is -- but I saw quincey jones is related to her -- love his music.

OK, so anyone else on ancestory.com and have you tried looking up any of these relatives? I try to make mental notes and I never can come up one of em. Unless they pull the records down because they are related to a celebrity....shrugging my shoulders.

+ Reply to Thread