+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think she might be, but I'm really not sure. Does anyone else remember another slave owner on the US version?

I just checked Family Tree Maker and my cousin - the granddaughter of my grandfather's sister - is my second cousin. Her father is my first cousin, once removed. He's my mother's first cousin. It's my understanding that the "removed" is generational.
    Thank you very much!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I was thrilled to see Reba's search on Friday night. We had local papers reporting that the show was coming on and explaining why Reba was in Raleigh (my city) and Oxford (nearby city). I recall when Reba was spotted out in these locations back around Christmas, I think. Some locals took photos and posted online at that time. People could not understand why she was there. Now we know.

Both sides of my family are from NC and southern VA, so no doubt there are slave owners in our tree. I have a well known ancestor who was in the Confederate Army. Still, what can you do? I can't change that, but I do still want to know more about my family tree. I have visited England once, but did not do any research. Now I really want to return and do it.

I'm not a football fan, so I had no clue who Jerome Bettis was when the celebs were announced for this season. What a sweetheart! I enjoyed his episode a lot.

My beef with the US version - and this seems to be happening more as the show progresses - is that there's this need for everyone to put a positive spin on what is found OR the person has to be painted in a positive light. I was half expecting Reba to be all "Well, that's wonderful that he was so successful and owned such a large piece of land." about her slave owning ancestor.

I guess no one wants to think that their ancestor was a horrible person, but sometimes it makes me roll my eyes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

To be fair, last season, when the woman from Sex in the City (I can't think of her name--I didn't watch the show) found out her grandfather was a bigamist, who abandoned her mother's family to start another one just down the road, her response was, "The son of a bitch."

I remember Jerome Bettis from the best episode ever of Celebrity Poker Showdown, during which Travis Tritt and Wanda Sykes, of all people, bonded. They set each other up for jokes constantly and decided they should work together on a "broke ass poor people's tour," since the two of them covered all the bases for that one, and according to Wanda, "Jerome could drive the bus!" (his nickname is Jerome "the Bus" Bettis, and he had brought a little toy bus with him for luck).

Anyway, did anyone else notice how huge his hands were? Every time he approached a keyboard, I couldn't figure out how he avoided hitting three keys at once.
    Allie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    To be fair, last season, when the woman from Sex in the City (I can't think of her name--I didn't watch the show) found out her grandfather was a bigamist, who abandoned her mother's family to start another one just down the road, her response was, "The son of a bitch."
    I'd argue that Kim Cattrall's response was more "honest" because that episode was produced for the UK version of the show.

I don't mean that, in every case the response is to view everything through rose-colored glasses. It's just something I've noticed this season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

that was a great episode...everytime I watch it makes me run to my family tree and do more digging. so does ancestory.com really have death certificates as they show on the tv show? I cannot see spending $30 a month on that subscription I know my library has free access so I am so tempted to go there and see if it is worth the money.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Anyway, did anyone else notice how huge his hands were? Every time he approached a keyboard, I couldn't figure out how he avoided hitting three keys at once.

LOL! We noticed too. As a long-time Steelers fan (started watching when Terry Bradshaw still had hair), I knew who The Bus was. He is, without a doubt, my favorite Steeler. I would go so far as to say he is my favorite football player ever. Those bit mitts of his have held onto the ball as he was crashing into the endzone at many critical moments.

I think it did him good to see that he came from a long line of man with integrity and strength.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Ancestry does have some death certificates. You're better off checking in the state you need the death certificate from. Depending on the date, some states have them online for free and others will mail them to you for free. Others charge a small fee. If you're looking for more recent records (probably post-1960's), you often have to provide verification of a relationship to the deceased and the charge is higher. Older records are much easier. Basically, it varies by state. You just have to check it out Luckily, most states have at least contact information online and many have ordering information and records online.

Ancestry has A LOT of records and they do offer free trials. It's worth it to try it out. If you don't have Family Tree Maker, you can get a free trial when you buy the program. I got a month free on Ancestry with the version I bought. The US subscription is only $19.95. I think the International one is in the $25 range if you are already a US subscriber and are upgrading.

I know that they're trying to get people to subscribe to Ancestry.com, but I wish the records searches didn't seem so easy on this show. Yes, the census records are usually pretty easy, but the other stuff, including death records, are spotty, in my experience.

It looks like there won't be a new episode this week and that the show will return on March 23rd with Helen Hunt and then Rita Wilson on March 30th.

Ancestry does have some death certificates. You're better off checking in the state you need the death certificate from. Depending on the date, some states have them online for free and others will mail them to you for free. Others charge a small fee. If you're looking for more recent records (probably post-1960's), you often have to provide verification of a relationship to the deceased and the charge is higher. Older records are much easier. Basically, it varies by state. You just have to check it out Luckily, most states have at least contact information online and many have ordering information and records online.

Ancestry has A LOT of records and they do offer free trials. It's worth it to try it out. If you don't have Family Tree Maker, you can get a free trial when you buy the program. I got a month free on Ancestry with the version I bought. The US subscription is only $19.95. I think the International one is in the $25 range if you are already a US subscriber and are upgrading.

I know that they're trying to get people to subscribe to Ancestry.com, but I wish the records searches didn't seem so easy on this show. Yes, the census records are usually pretty easy, but the other stuff, including death records, are spotty, in my experience.

It looks like there won't be a new episode this week and that the show will return on March 23rd with Helen Hunt and then Rita Wilson on March 30th.
    thanks for the response....I will check it out gonna drag my hubby with me to the library one day after this week!

I'm not a football fan, so I had no clue who Jerome Bettis was when the celebs were announced for this season. What a sweetheart! I enjoyed his episode a lot.
    All I knew is that he was a football player. That's all I know about 99% of football players. I watch the Superbowl & a few games here & there, but don't keep up on who the players are unless you can't avoid them, like Drew Brees or the Manning brothers.
    I agree, he was a real sweetheart. I liked that he learned that his ancestors had guts & determination & stood out in society. Even the somewhat iffy great-grandfather who walked out on his family had positive & strong convictions. That had to leave Jerome with a positive view of him.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

+ Reply to Thread