+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I guess my feeling is that, if everything was totally fine with them, they would have been on The View together I remember the two of them being on Oprah years ago and Ashley was in the audience to support them. I read an article - of course, I can't remember where now - that indicated Naomi was NOT happy about the revelations in Ashley's book. Ashley was on Craig Ferguson last night and Wynonna was on the night before. Something Ashley said - or maybe the way she said it - made me think there was still some distance there.
    Maybe so. I think they are an odd bunch, although most families are dysfunctional to some level. I didn't realize the extent of my family's until I was in my 30's! Now, OMG. It's unreal! LOL

I have posted elsewhere about The Judds reality show on OWN. I saw the first episode and OMG. There are no words to describe Wynonna. You have to see it. What a diva? THat woman is a piece of work. LOL

When my son was about four, he was in a nursery school class with Naomi Judd's nephew. Naomi's sister & husband lived in our city for several years before the father moved for another job. Quirky thing was that her sister and her daughter were mistook for the Judds back then which was when the duo was pretty popular.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I was told years ago that the Mormon church has a lot of records for ancestory searches.
    Yes, and you don't have to be Mormon to access their records. You should check out their genealogy website. I use it in conjunction with Ancestry.com all the time. It's free!

https://familysearch.org

You really do not need to go to a physical library, or to the location where your family is from to make some serious progress on your family history. So much can be learned online. Between Ancestry, FamilySearch and Genforum.com, I've taken my family back many, many generations and met long-lost relatives. And I have a full time job and young children, so if I can carve out a few moment for this, anyone can!

Who Do You Think You Are is a great show in that (I hope) it inspires others to know that they can learn amazing things about their own family with just a little digging. For every revelation someone has had about their family on this show (founding father, related to royalty, big family scandal, etc.), I have found the same stories in my own family tree. It's really changed the way I think about myself as a person. We *all* have amazing stories in our past... we just have to go find them. If you're just getting started, I recommend the companion book to Who Do You Think You Are (by Megan Smolenyak). You can get it on Amazon for $10 and it's really helpful. If you hit a road block, consider hiring a professional genealogist. I've done this a couple of times with varying success. apgen.org has a list of professional genealogists. There are also historical societies in many towns who have genealogists on staff, and they can help you long distance.

My dad has already done much work on his own. I want to take over and have some fun with it myself. Thanks for the tips.

There's even more talk of genealogical research in the General Discussion forum here: Genealogical Research
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Do you guys recall when Gwyneth Paltrow was on this show and tracked down her ancestors. Do you recall a grandmother called Mutti? Seems she didn't care for her and called her a bad name on tv recently. Here's an article on it. They discussed it on The View yesterday.

Gwyneth Paltrow Calls Her Grandma the "C" Word - Movies, TV & Music - UsMagazine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud03 View Post
    Yes, and you don't have to be Mormon to access their records. You should check out their genealogy website. I use it in conjunction with Ancestry.com all the time. It's free!

https://familysearch.org

I just found my German grandparents and great Grandmother! And my great great Uncle from the Dominican Republic!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I just found my German grandparents and great Grandmother! And my great great Uncle from the Dominican Republic!
    How exciting! Good for you.

How strange is Gwyneth's grandma to try and turn her mom against her! How unclassy of G to just lay it all out there on a tv show and to slap on the C word to her Gran?

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    How strange is Gwyneth's grandma to try and turn her mom against her! How unclassy of G to just lay it all out there on a tv show and to slap on the C word to her Gran?
    It does sound strange IMO. I can understand people venting if they were abused as a child. Everyone has a right to tell the truth, but the name calling is rather harsh. LOL Maybe she was trying to be funny and it just failed.

+ Reply to Thread