+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

Steve Buscemi's story was very interesting to me, especially when he visited the PA State Archives. But, I have to check because I'm pretty sure that at some point in the past year (2010) the Archives was closed to the public. The only other thing that irked me was the appearance that Steve went thru an entire year's worth of microfilm for the The Daily Item and found the story in November? You know he was given a headsup about in what month to look.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Yes, all the research is done ahead of time and presented to the seeker, but that doesn't make it any less interesting. I enjoy knowing that there are people whose life work is history. I always thought I would like to be an archivist, but it wasn't in the cards.

I really am enjoying the show. A few years ago I checked out Ancestry.com but didn't want to pay the fee for records searches or "leaf" connections. Maybe I'll take another look at it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Ariel, if you buy a copy of Family Tree Maker, you get a free membership for Ancestry.com. The length of the membership depends on which version you buy, but even the basic version gives you, I think, a month.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Yes, all the research is done ahead of time and presented to the seeker, but that doesn't make it any less interesting. I enjoy knowing that there are people whose life work is history. I always thought I would like to be an archivist, but it wasn't in the cards.

I really am enjoying the show. A few years ago I checked out Ancestry.com but didn't want to pay the fee for records searches or "leaf" connections. Maybe I'll take another look at it.
    I have a degree in history but, as my professor in historiography pointed out, jobs for historians are limited and few..one of his students at the time was a refuse collector.

I have used ancestry.com with my family tree maker for more than 15 years but I still depend heavily on my research at the local historical society as well as other free sites to corroborate research or facts found on ancestry.com. Especially from other contributed trees.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I really enjoyed this episode too. I like Steve Buscemi a lot, so I was looking forward to seeing his episode anyway. He's always seemed like a nice, normal guy. The jokes about the irony of having a dentist in the family were so funny.

I thought it was his great grandmother who lived at the address where restaurant is now. I'll have to watch again. Either way, that's a pretty extraordinary coincidence.
    You're probably right. I couldn't remember for sure and didn't record it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22 View Post
    You're probably right. I couldn't remember for sure and didn't record it.
    I'm such a dork, I always watch the episodes twice - the second time on Hulu.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Did Steve ever say whether he had suffered from depression? There was something in his voice when he talked about depression in his family.

I was a little surprised to see his parents living in that little, ordinary house in that ordinary neigborhood. I have seen other famous people's parents who also lived in very average homes. I think it might have been Sara Jessica Parker. I think the most fancey house of a family member was Tim McGraw when he spoke with his uncle before going on his search.

My understanding is that Gwyneth Paltrow's family focus will be on her father's side. Too bad, read on a genealogical forum that Blythe Danner's family has roots in my home county. Newspaper articles for Danner family reunions supposedly list attendance by her with her father's family. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow View Post
    My understanding is that Gwyneth Paltrow's family focus will be on her father's side. Too bad, read on a genealogical forum that Blythe Danner's family has roots in my home county. Newspaper articles for Danner family reunions supposedly list attendance by her with her father's family. Cool.

She focused on both sides and I found it quite interesting. I guess I was out of the loop, but I didn't realize that Gwyneth was Jewish. How can you tell that? I recognize some names as Jewish such as Stein, but, some names aren't indicative that someone is Jewish.

ok you guys got me hooked on this show....I was watching it when it first came on, but stopped. I liked the past two episodes they were very good (Gwyneth and Steve).

Do libraries really have old death certificates on file? Just curious, I do a search on old death/marriage records and I am told I have to pay $25 for a copy. I personally don't have $25 for each one and let me tell ya there around 20-40 I need...yikes! I cannot afford that righ now.

+ Reply to Thread