+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758 LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are?

Quote Originally Posted by aramcobrat View Post
    I've been so tempted to do the Ancestry DNA test, or the 23andme DNA test. I've read a ton of the reviews of both test on Amazon (since you can get the kits through Amazon) and some people say Ancestry is the best, as they have the biggest database, and some say it's not. It's hard to tell. But from the images people have uploaded, it seems like the Ancestry one gives the least specific results. Reviewers do mention that different family members can have different genes passed down, which is why you might differ from your siblings. In terms of what Jessica saw in her results, they may have given a little more info for the sake of the show?
    Yeah what I have read and been told is you should test at Ancestry and then at least one of the other ones available. They test different test types but to get the most accurate test info do at least 2. I will more then likely do 23 and me eventually. They also said if you can test as much immediate family members you will get a better result mixture since as you said siblings don't necessarily have the same DNA make up as each other. I only have one living grandparent left so I will probably have my parents do the test so I can get a good idea of both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by mika06 View Post
    Yeah what I have read and been told is you should test at Ancestry and then at least one of the other ones available. They test different test types but to get the most accurate test info do at least 2. I will more then likely do 23 and me eventually. They also said if you can test as much immediate family members you will get a better result mixture since as you said siblings don't necessarily have the same DNA make up as each other. I only have one living grandparent left so I will probably have my parents do the test so I can get a good idea of both sides.
    I have had my brother do the YDNA test thru FTDNA. I have done the autosomal test thru Ancestry. At one point FTDNA allowed you to transfer results from other DNA tests into an account on their website. Others who have some knowledge of DNA tests swear by uploading results from other DNA companies to Gedmach which is free.
    I had my brother do one of the smallest number of items to begin with and later, since FTDNA retains the sample, bought more complex YDNA tests. Ancestry results have changed at least twice since my initial results. I'm still not comfortable with the some of the matches Ancestry says that I have with some individuals.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

I'm just catching up with Jessica Biel's episode now, and am finding her so delightful! I never had much of a take on her, besides being JT's wife, so it is nice to see her personality. She seems like a genuine, intelligent and fun person.

I also enjoyed the research into both sides of her family tree; now she can go back to both parents with a story! The Jewish history was a surprise to her, so I found that super interesting. It's such a shame that so many records were destroyed in the wars, so her looking back is virtually impossible in Hungary.

The Civil War history was interesting too, especially because I'm reading a novel about slavery right now so it fits with the theme. So many struggles. Like Jess said, people were just trying to survive and provide, and that took so much.
    Punkin and aramcobrat like this.

The Last Three episodes have been my favorite so far. I loved the episode last night even though they centered around one individual in John's family the story was definitively dynamic. Season finale next week wonder if they save the best for last.

Quote Originally Posted by mika06 View Post
    The Last Three episodes have been my favorite so far. I loved the episode last night even though they centered around one individual in John's family the story was definitively dynamic. Season finale next week wonder if they save the best for last.
    I am looking forward to next week with Liv Tyler. On one side you have her father, a guy I grew up listening to and on the other, her mother was a big time groupie/girlfriend back in the day.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I have really enjoyed this season's episodes!!! They have all been really good!! I have to admit that John's, Jessica are two my favorites with the Christian Applegate episode from a few seasons back.

Sad to see that the finale is next week, man these 8 episodes have gone by so fast!!!
    Punkin likes this.

I thought the part with John's father's cousin was very sweet. It must have been very touching to meet a close relative and hear the family stories. I loved when she gave him a key to the house.

I have friends from Greece, and they take their open home approach of making you feel welcome very seriously.
    libgirl2, justCoz and Eastcoastmom like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I've enjoyed all the episodes this season but the John Stamos one is my favorite. He was so sweet with the cousin. I wish we could have seen the sisters reactions when he told them. The whole family seems so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow View Post
    I have had my brother do the YDNA test thru FTDNA. I have done the autosomal test thru Ancestry. At one point FTDNA allowed you to transfer results from other DNA tests into an account on their website. Others who have some knowledge of DNA tests swear by uploading results from other DNA companies to Gedmach which is free.
    I had my brother do one of the smallest number of items to begin with and later, since FTDNA retains the sample, bought more complex YDNA tests. Ancestry results have changed at least twice since my initial results. I'm still not comfortable with the some of the matches Ancestry says that I have with some individuals.
    Long Lost Family was my favorite show. It tempted me to do the Ancestry DNA test more than a year ago. I had 200 cousins 4rth cousin or closer and one being an unexplained first cousin. Seven months past and I learned my aunt put a baby up for adoption. We connected and she learned her family story. Otherwise, I could not explain much of my relative database. More and more people took the test and my database grew. I had another unexplained first cousin. I thought goody, another adopted relative. But when I looked and his tree and shared relatives trees, I knew it was my dad who was adopted and did not know. Then I could explain my whole database. This is his mother's side. This is his father's side. My dad had an adopted brother who had been looking for him since the 80s. His daughter is my great friend now and we share many things. Both sides have welcomed us. So I can recommend ancestry. And our finding generated more ancestry tests from other relatives who were all happy with their findings. I now less than two years later have 610 relatives in my database who are fourth cousin or closer. A lot of people have even bigger than that....and some much smaller. One of my grandparents is not from the states. So it makes my database a little smaller...and my ethnicity is spot on. Asian 26%, English 49%, Irish 5%, Scandinavian 4%, spanish5%. And my sister's varied by 2% as she carries more on mother's side. The results will say how many centimorgans of DNA you share with each person in your database. My number counts are a little higher than hers with dad's relatives, and her numbers are a little higher than mine on mom's relatives.
    Punkin and Eastcoastmom like this.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

Any time you see the relatives suffering, you feel bad.

The man who was hanged for being a witch in the name of religion.....lesson for today, do not look for evil. Appreciate and dwell in goodness........says the youngish old lady.
    Punkin likes this.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

+ Reply to Thread